SASS Wire Forum

Ammo to avoid

Trigger Mike

There was a thread on guns but how about ammo brands?  

I LOVE Hornady ammo of all sorts.  I find it accurate and smooth feeding.   I'll also buy Sig brand ammo , not as accurate as hornady but still good.  I will also buy cci and winchester. 

I refuse to buy sellier and bellot.   It sometimes fails to fire and leaves shavings in a semiauto, especially 380 or 9mm.  I also do not buy aquila.   Armscor is better than no ammo but not by much.  

12 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

I LOVE Hornady ammo of all sorts.  I find it accurate and smooth feeding.   I'll also buy Sig brand ammo , not as accurate as hornady but still good.  I will also buy cci and winchester. 

I refuse to buy sellier and bellot.   It sometimes fails to fire and leaves shavings in a semiauto, especially 380 or 9mm.  I also do not buy aquila.   Armscor is better than no ammo but not by much.  

Interesting, I find Seller and Bellot and Aqulia to be just fine for 9mm and .45 acp. Never had a problem with either. :)

Remington 22 has been junk for years.  Misfires because some areas of rim are missing priming or they don't have any at all.  That and some of the dirtiest ammo I've ever seen.

I think Aguila ranks up there with some of the best ammo.

26 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I don't buy Remington .22s of any kind.

I've had a couple out of 100 not go off but they were cheap enough and my life wasn't depending on them. I just shot a whole box of 50 Remington Thunderbolts from my Heritage .22 and they all went off! I like Winchesters and Aquila's are good too.

I have lost faith in Winchester rifle ammo.  After two different boxes of different types of 30-06 winchester ammo that both had serious quality issues (different case lengths that were different enough to to be seen by eye, different OAL, etc) I will not buy Winchester rifle ammo again.

I contacted them about the first box.  They had me send the remaining ammo and all of the fired brass back to them.  They sent me coupons to purchase a new box of ammo.  That box had similar issues.  I contacted them again and no response.  I recontacted them after a while and still no response.  So I am done.

IMAG0045.jpg

I must be the only guy on the planet that never has a problem with Remington .22 ammo. :D

I have had really good luck with Sellier & Bellot ammo. Good stuff. Runs a bit hot though. Especially their 9mm NATO.

I will not buy or  shoot Wolf ammo. 

I too avoid Remington .22s for the above mentioned reasons.  My wife won the speed .22 rifle side match at the 4-Corners Regional with Armscor .22 ammo.  Never had a misfire or failure to feed with it.  I don't use S&B ammo because it destroyed one local fellow's handgun.  I never touch handloaded ammo at gun shows for obvious reasons.

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

I agree , no wolf ammo.  No steel case period.  I bought some winchester steel case 9mm.  I loaded it in a smith and wesson and the cases took time and effort to get out.  

Ugh! I forgot about those. I bought 100 rounds of  9mm without realizing it was steel cased until I got to the range. I gave it to the range master in exchange for 100 of their reloads. Pretty cool gesture on his part. 

S&B has long been my preferred range ammo, so I don't know why others have had issues. All it takes though is one bad batch to sour someone on a particular brand. During the post-Sandy Hook panic I had to buy two bricks of Remington .22 Thunderbolts because that was all I could find. I had a hell of a time finally shooting the last of that stuff up, as I had countless misfires, several deformed rounds, lots of low-powered rounds and even a couple squibs out of it. More recently I bought a couple bulk packs of Herters .22 ammo (Cabelas in-house brand, made by Winchester) and I've had the same problems. And let's not talk about the legendary CCI Mini-Mags... they used to be fail-proof, but not these days. Lots of misfires with those lately.

Herters, S&B, and one other brand that escapes me at the moment, only because I have to swage the primer pocket before I can reload them.

Back to the Remington .22's for a second...

I considered 'em to be of average quality, except for the bulk ones sold in milk cartons.  Those I suspect were the ones that spilled out of the loading machinery and were swept up off the floor at night.  About the best I can say about 'em is that they usually went *bang*.  Or *Pop!* or *CRAK!*  or *snap* or *Pow!"

But it was rare that two consecutive rounds sounded the same.  Best use is for the kids to shoot at empty cans.  Up close.

8 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

Have never had any issue with S&B components or ammo.

They are a NATO supplier. 

OLG 

25 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Back to the Remington .22's for a second...

I considered 'em to be of average quality, except for the bulk ones sold in milk cartons.  Those I suspect were the ones that spilled out of the loading machinery and were swept up off the floor at night.  About the best I can say about 'em is that they usually went *bang*.  Or *Pop!* or *CRAK!*  or *snap* or *Pow!"

But it was rare that two consecutive rounds sounded the same.  Best use is for the kids to shoot at empty cans.  Up close.

Those would be the Rice Krispies ones, Hardpan. Kellog gets a piece of their non action. 

Archived