SASS Wire Forum

What Time Is It?

Subdeacon Joe

It's LUTEFISK Time!
Mmmmm......

No photo description available.

Now is Lutefisk Time, according to an ad for the Boathouse Grill at Point Defiance which appeared in the 50 years ago today.
The newspapers in our collection are a treasure-trove of Tacoma history, from significant events to the details of everyday life.

6 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

What Time Is It?

When?

WHERE??

As a Tacoma boy, born, raised, and not quite yet senescent, I remember the Boathouse Grill well, though I never had the Lutefisk dinner.

The restaurant burned down at some point, and eventually was replaced by an Anthony's Restaurant. Anthony's is a regional small chain of good seafood-oriented places.

It's a beautiful spot; adjacent to the Pt. Defiance boathouse, a hundred yards from the landing of the Vashon Island ferry; on Puget Sound with great views of Mt. Rainier. We go there a lot; most recently the night before the latest shutdown.

Prices have gone up, though....

42 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

As a Tacoma boy, born, raised, and not quite yet senescent, I remember the Boathouse Grill well, though I never had the Lutefisk dinner.

The restaurant burned down at some point, and eventually was replaced by an Anthony's Restaurant. Anthony's is a regional small chain of good seafood-oriented places.

It's a beautiful spot; adjacent to the Pt. Defiance boathouse, a hundred yards from the landing of the Vashon Island ferry; on Puget Sound with great views of Mt. Rainier. We go there a lot; most recently the night before the latest shutdown.

Prices have gone up, though....

Is Ivar's Acres of Clams still open u the road a ways from Tacoma?  That was my favorite back in the 60s when I lived up that direction.

(This is simply a blatant effort to get the subject off of lutefisk.  :wacko:)

For those who have not had Lutefisk, it is a bit difficult to describe in words, at least in words allowed on this forum.

While the Lutefisk is cooking, many at the gatherings I attended liked to drink Aquavit. If you have never had Aquavit, I'll also skip describing it because of the same forum rules. But it is better than Lutefisk.

13 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Is Ivar's Acres of Clams still open u the road a ways from Tacoma?  That was my favorite back in the 60s when I lived up that direction.

(This is simply a blatant effort to get the subject off of lutefisk.  :wacko:)

Ivar's is still there, but under a lot of lockdown stress. Ivar's Salmon House, a really fine restaurant on Lake Union, more 'upscale' than the clam house, has closed permanently I'm told, after decades, under these pressures.

53 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

For those who have not had Lutefisk, it is a bit difficult to describe in words, at least in words allowed on this forum.

While the Lutefisk is cooking, many at the gatherings I attended liked to drink Aquavit. If you have never had Aquavit, I'll also skip describing it because of the same forum rules. But it is better than Lutefisk.

Who we trying to kid.   Just about anything is better than lutefisk.

1 hour ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Ivar's is still there, but under a lot of lockdown stress. Ivar's Salmon House, a really fine restaurant on Lake Union, more 'upscale' than the clam house, has closed permanently I'm told, after decades, under these pressures.

That's sad.  It used to be a "place to go" for sea food (all the oysters you can eat for $4.95) and watch the fire boats on both sides.  Never heard of the Salmon House, but it make sense.  Sorry when any old place folds up.

Thanks for the update. 

Archived