SASS Wire Forum

Marble's #95 folding rear sight... SASS-legal?

Santa Rosa Slinger

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=26532.0;

Is the Marble's #95 folding rear sight, such as the one pictured above and this one here at MidwayUSA, legal for SASS use? I searched this forum (and other CAS-related forums around the web) but haven't come across a definitive answer. Some posts say that it is OK; another poster said that he had issues regarding the legality of the white "faux ivory" diamond inlay; others took issue with the idea that they weren't used on lever-action rifles until 1906 and argued that they should not be considered "available during the cowboy era."

Here are the potentially relevant excerpts (both for and against its use) from the Shooter's Handbook, page 36–37:

All Firearms

• Sights must look like sights available during the cowboy era. Bead, blade, simple post, or otherwise approved front sights (such as the XS Cowboy Express) made of materials such as steel, iron, ivory, faux ivory, brass, gold, pewter, copper, or silver are allowed.

• Colors other than those of the materials referenced above or any “fluorescent” materials may not be applied to either front or rear sights.

• Rear and front sights may be “blacked,” painted, or plated in the colors of the previously listed materials. If blacking, paint, or plating is applied to a revolver front sight, it must cover the entire rear surface of the sight to give the appearance of a solid material.

• All rear sights may have their openings adjusted.

• The front sight may be raised or lowered to bring point-of-aim and point-of-impact into alignment.

• The back of the front sight may be serrated.

Rifle Sights

• Tang mounted rear sights may utilize changeable “peep” apertures and eyecups.

• No bolt or receiver mounted sight is permitted.

• Dovetails may be milled in the barrel for sight replacement.

• Beach style front sights and sight hoods are allowed.

• Front sights may include a bead or insert of steel, iron, ivory, faux ivory, brass, gold, pewter, copper, or silver. The bead or insert shall be the color of the material.

• Rear sights may utilize an insert of the same color as the rear sight to allow easy sight adjustment.

• Ramp style front sights are allowed if original to the firearm.

• Modern style click adjustable barrel or receiver sights are not allowed.

I ask because I've been toying around with the idea of installing a tang-mounted peep sight on a new-to-me Miroku 1873, even if only because it is already drilled/tapped for one and it seems like it would be a fun project. If I did, I'd also be interested in replacing the existing rear semi-buckhorn sight with this folding rear sight (or similar) so that I could still use it if desired, but fold it down when using the tang sight so it doesn't get in the way. I’d also be interested to hear others' thoughts on that combination before I get too carried away with the idea, though.

6 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Legal, yes.  Black out the white part with a sharpie.

Take the insert out and turn it around.

16 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Legal, yes.  Black out the white part with a sharpie.

This works but make sure some of the white doesn't start to reappear. I saw 2 p's called in a row at a state match because some of the sharpie had rubbed or worn off. Complete BS call if you ask me.

kR

PS the call was reversed by the MD. He said just reapply the sharpie.

3 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

This works but make sure some of the white doesn't start to reappear. I saw 2 p's called in a row at a state match because some of the sharpie had rubbed or worn off. Complete BS call if you ask me.

kR

PS the call was reversed by the MD. He said just reapply the sharpie.

Good call by the MD, IMO.
BTW - The penalty for "
Use of an illegal or illegally modified firearm" is a SDQ...NOT a Procedural.

3 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Good call by the MD, IMO.
BTW - The penalty for "
Use of an illegal or illegally modified firearm" is a SDQ...NOT a Procedural.

There was no attempt or intent of illegallity. Sharpie wears off. To remedy I removed the insert and turned it around, the guy that called it noticed it before the shooter started, just waited till after to say any thing.

kR

Archived