SASS Wire Forum

Federal 100s on Midway

vidette

Sorry if this is a duplicate post, but I got an alert last night from ammoseek that Federal 100s (5000 count) were available on Midway.  Got the same alert from Midway.  Went to their website and everything was sold out.  I was curious if anyone actually saw this and managed to buy some, or if this was just a glitch/mistake.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

They sold out about 30 seconds after MidwayUSA listed them as in stock. 

That's impressive.  I was on the website within 23 seconds of the Ammoseek alert, but I suppose there's a delay between when Ammoseek sees the listing and when it sends me an email.  Buying primers has become like micro-trading on the stock market.

I have Midway alerts set too, so it must have sold out before the backend script on Midway's infrastructure even finished processing the notification list.

Sounds a lot like someone has some sniping software out there, much like the sniping that plagued eBay before they banned it.

47 minutes ago, vidette said:

I have Midway alerts set too, so it must have sold out before the backend script on Midway's infrastructure even finished processing the notification list.

Sounds a lot like someone has some sniping software out there, much like the sniping that plagued eBay before they banned it.

Not banned on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/bidding/bid-sniping?id=4224

Bid sniping—including the use of software that places bids for you—is allowed on eBay...

I saw primers in stock ....in Canada at sort of normal pricing. Some stores will ship internationally but it is time consuming and expensive process. I wonder what the deal is with a drive up North and buying them over the counter to bring back to the US.

35 minutes ago, meesterpaul said:

I saw primers in stock ....in Canada at sort of normal pricing. Some stores will ship internationally but it is time consuming and expensive process. I wonder what the deal is with a drive up North and buying them over the counter to bring back to the US.

pretty sure you will find that is a no go

1 hour ago, Tucker McNeely said:

Cool maybe the two cases that I have on order from my lgs maybe coming through soon.

I wouldn't hold my breath, I had 100,000 on backorder since right before the shortage started. They cancelled my backorder last month, never saw any.

7 hours ago, vidette said:

That's impressive.  I was on the website within 23 seconds of the Ammoseek alert, but I suppose there's a delay between when Ammoseek sees the listing and when it sends me an email.  Buying primers has become like micro-trading on the stock market.

I was on less than a minute after the notice came through. Showed mixed availability but wouldn’t let you add anything to your cart. 
LF

I would wager that the thousands of us trying to buy the stuff buried the site.

I have notifications set for all varieties of primers from Midway and didn’t receive any notification of available stock.

e9dt2H3.png

Your AmmoSeek Alert has been triggered.
You've asked us to alert you if we find anything matching "Federal", at a price-per-unit of $0.056 or lower. We just found some at a price-per-unit of $0.039

[] Federal Small Pistol Primers #100 Case of 5000 (5 Boxes of 1000) 029465556228
http://ammoseek.com/restore_search/232609/A2sJnAwfaUYZ4bcN5asmz9LuztFbCmmv5OXNGNodTxEZwaoHgy

Did you actually buy some? I have triggers in ammoseek and primers are gone before the email is sent. I have tried several times and even though the website shows them you can't put them in the cart because the quantity desired isn't available.

I did not buy some, hence my post here in the forum to see if anyone else did.

My opinion, and this is just a wild guess, is that Midway did get some in stock, but all of that stock immediately went towards fulfilling existing backorders. So while quantities were technically "available" they were already all committed towards existing backorders.  That would explain why we all went to Midway's page and saw "mixed availability" but couldn't add any to our own cart.  Just a guess.

They don't allow backorders on primers for some reason.

If they don't specifically say no back order, the "add to cart" doesn't function. And, the "Notify Me" has never been triggered through Midway.

image.thumb.png.a81ad22111fa2305d20e625a3787b5d4.png

They don't allow backorders on primers for some reason.

They don't *now* but they did *at some point this year*, and those are the backorders I'm suggesting were auto-filled and exhausted the in-stock supply almost instantaneously.

• 3 weeks later...

Imagine how long it will be before availability gets normal. While we may have been willing to watch our supply of primers dip down to several thousand occasionally we're not likely to do that anymore. I wonder what my limit would be if I could buy more now at semi-normal prices. I'll probably calculate it the way an insurance actuary would look at me... Well let's see . . . you're 66 years old and we figure you'll last this 25 years and you'll shoot this many rounds off each month… ok... 250,000 may be enough. 

I have 28K Federals on hand. About 4.66 years worth. I’m hopeful to be able to replenish in a year or 2. 

Archived