SASS Wire Forum

Jupiter/Saturn

Utah Bob #35998

I saw the much hyped “Christmas Star” last night. How anybody could call it the Star of Bethlehem is beyond me!  If you are a decent photographer you can get it to look like it does in the great masters’ paintings of the Renaissance. But really, it was just two dots in the SW sky. Venus is brighter. I was able to see Saturn’s rings and two of Jupiter’s moons with my Meade telescope, so that was cool.
I don’t think I’d be able to navigate my camel by it. :lol:

21 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I saw the much hyped “Christmas Star” last night. How anybody could call it the Star of Bethlehem is beyond me!  If you are a decent photographer you can get it to look like it does in the great masters’ paintings of the Renaissance. But really, it was just two dots in the SW sky. Venus is brighter. I was able to see Saturn’s rings and two of Jupiter’s moons with my Meade telescope, so that was cool.

Probably just needs to be midnight at the Oasis.

I thought it was pretty impressive. With all the light pollution we have here in the Southern People's Republic it is very hard to see many stars. Jupiter and Saturn really stood out last evening. 

I definitely need to get some better glass for viewing stuff like this.

6 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Well our heavy rain actually turned to snow last night so I was completely SOL. I wasn't expecting anything that would impress the naked eye but I still would've liked to have seen it. I guess now I have to wait another 800 years... :unsure:

We gotta wait that long, Sixgun? Snow here in Everett last evening also. And RAIN. Lawdy, we got a gully washer and I heard that a train down south of here derailed 4 cars with no injuries, due to a washed out culvert. 

We live out in the woods, so there's no light pollution to speak of interfering with viewing the stars.  Most stars are very clear and bright if the cloud cover cooperates.  But last night was a disappointment.  The Saturn/Jupiter event proved from our vantage point to be no more than a slightly brighter star.  If we hadn't known ahead of time exactly where to look, we would've probably missed it all together.  I ain't sticking around another 800 years for that again.

And pleeease don’t believe this fake pic that’s all over the Internet now. :rolleyes:

000CC248-2BD0-4269-BCE2-FC63345FF80E.jpeg

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Here in Grand Junction, perfect viewing as far as cloud cover. Using the telescope could see Saturns rings clearly all the way around the planet but Jupiter was a fuzzy ball of light fairly close to it. Using a 400 mm lens, and both a 1.4x then a 2x teleconverter got some pictures of indistinct balls that may make the next episode of "are the aliens out there?"

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

7 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Here in Grand Junction, perfect viewing as far as cloud cover. Using the telescope could see Saturns rings clearly all the way around the planet but Jupiter was a fuzzy ball of light fairly close to it. Using a 400 mm lens, and both a 1.4x then a 2x teleconverter got some pictures of indistinct balls that may make the next episode of "are the aliens out there?"

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Yeah. And I heard no Heavenly Chorus either. ;)

Nice shot from down in Florida. Probably looked cooler from the ISS. I wonder if they pointed the Hubble at it?

DE5C5E81-C5EF-4393-9FFE-B864DF58C7B0.webp

I know that the last conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn occurred in the 1200's. But can they trace it further back than that? The Christmas Star has been speculated as either being the conjunction of several planets, a comet or possibly a supernova.  The problem with this conjunction being part of or completely the Christmas Star is that the two planets don't maintain their positions very long as we are looking at two moving objects millions of miles apart, plus the orbital motion of the Earth inside both their orbits.

I saw it last night.  Not very spectacular, I'm afraid.

Stay well and safe, Pards!

Merry Christmas!

Archived