SASS Wire Forum

Bent mag tube

evil dogooder

Simple question. Has anyone every seen a mag tube dented at a match to the point where there shooter could not continue? 

7 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

Simple question. Has anyone every seen a mag tube dented at a match to the point where there shooter could not continue? 

I haven’t but PWB has a pinned post that black carbon fiber mag tubes are approved along with knurled mag tube caps.

Just now, Tequila Shooter said:

I haven’t but PWB has a pinned post that black carbon fiber mag tubes are approved along with knurled mag tube caps.

That's what he's getting at.

10 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

Yes.

42 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

No.

No.  But I HAVE seen several Uberti's with so much rust in the steel mag tube that the shooter could not continue the match because rounds would hang up in the tube.   I believe that carbon-fiber tube mod was designed to solve both potential problems.

Good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

No.  But I HAVE seen several Uberti's with so much rust in the steel mag tube that the shooter could not continue the match because rounds would hang up in the tube.   I believe that carbon-fiber tube mod was designed to solve both potential problems.

Good luck, GJ

A stainless steel magazine tube will do the same, and be more correct in appearance. 

OLG 

I’m laying out up front, I don’t much care for the appearance of the carbon fiber magazine tube, to that end I have been pondering 2 lines of thought.

1. Can the carbon fiber mag tube be manufactured in such a way as to be unable to pick out the carbon fiber tube over a factory tube with casual observation?  If so, what difference will it make?

2. Having been the T/O when a shooter experienced a magazine chain fire, seeing the repercussions first-hand, how will a carbon fiber magazine tube fair and from a safety perspective, I’m not sure I’d want to be the insurance underwriter, and I’d want to see some safety data before I put one on my rifles.

F.S.

1 hour ago, Patagonia Pete said:

OK .. where do you get one of these??

I have seen/found the tube liners  ... in alum and cf ... for the 38s ... but not an actual tube replacement. 

Where's the beef tubes?? 

I have cf sleeves in my .357s.  Definitely improved round feed.

1 minute ago, Flyin Shootest said:

I’m laying out up front, I don’t much care for the appearance of the carbon fiber magazine tube, to that end I have been pondering 2 lines of thought.

1. Can the carbon fiber mag tube be manufactured in such a way as to be unable to pick out the carbon fiber tube over a factory tube with casual observation?  If so, what difference will it make?

2. Having been the T/O when a shooter experienced a magazine chain fire, seeing the repercussions first-hand, how will a carbon fiber magazine tube fair and from a safety perspective, I’m not sure I’d want to be the insurance underwriter, and I’d want to see some safety data before I put one on my rifles.

F.S.

Your concern in number 2 is valid.  Anyone who has ever seen the cf shrapnel from a Formula 1 or IMSA car crash knows those shards are sharp enough to cut tires. 

I have never witnessed a rifle mag tube getting dented or bent. I have seen a '97 mag tube get slightly dented. 

Simple matter really....if you don't want your firearms damaged, quit throwing them around like a damn bowling ball.

I’ve seen it once. The user dropped the rifle hard on the prop bench and the mag tube hit the wood on the front of the table so hard it dented and wouldn’t allow the follower to pass. I saw a mag tube on a 1897 shotgun get hit with an accidental discharge at the unload table.

Haven't seen a mag tube get dented at a match, but I've heard of several Ubertis years ago that had dents in the tube directly from the factory.  Dent was under the forearm and not obvious, but made loading a problem.

So ONE guy comes up with something that looks no wise cowboy is enough to change the rules?  What's next carbon fiber forearms and buttstocks, dayglow sights?  Sheez.

7 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Why didn't the ROC use some common sense and just tell the guy to buy a new tube?

Bingo!!!! 

4 hours ago, Flyin Shootest said:

F.S.

I have work with carbon fiber and I would trust it as my mag tube over steel!

A coat of black paint will hide the appearance of the tube.

1 hour ago, Von Dutch, SASS # 7995 said:

I have work with carbon fiber and I would trust it as my mag tube over steel!

It's not so much the strength, as I am fully aware that carbon fiber can be stronger than steel.  The real concern is the the dynamics of how the energy from more than one round going off in the magazine is dissipated.  If the energy can't blow the tube up as has been my experience with a steel tube, will the  energy be forced to preferably blow the plug out and shoot all the shrapnel down range, or not so preferable back at the shooter?   Reality is, I REALLY don't want to be anywhere close to a chain fire ever again no mater what the magazine is made of.

Reading PWB postes on other threads this was a one-off approval, so most likely we won't be seeing them in general use,  so the discussion has become an academic one.

F.S.

Archived