SASS Wire Forum

Bass pro buying sportsman's warehouse

Trigger Mike

Well...

That will ruin Sportsmans Warehouse.

:blink:

Yep. The Great American Outdoors Group (owned by Johnnie Morris founder of Bass Pro) is buying Sportsman's Warehouse. If what has happened to Cabela's and what I expect to happen to SW, we have lost another good retail store that does a good job for hunters, shooters and reloaders. Since the Cabela's buyout, I have shopped more a SW than ever. I do expect a lot of changes in their marketing and products they sell.

Sad deal for sure.

Johnny Morris is a #$%&tard and an #$@hole. I wouldn't &%$# on that guy if he was on fire!

I used to be proud of the fact that we bought lures from him out of his trailer at the boat ramps of  Beaver Lake in Arkansas back in 1972 when I was just a kid. After what that POS has done to Cabela's and what BP has turned into I hope the sale of Sportsman's Warehouse doesn't go through.

It might be a good time to use any SW gift cards you hold soon.  When a Canadian-based company bought the SW outlets in the NW the cards became worthless.

Locally our SW outlet is located near a Cabelas.  I could see the SW outlet closed to drive traffic to Cabelas.  That would be unfortunate as SW has a better (but unreliable) selection of reloading supplies.   SW discount coupons handed out at SASS matches have subsidized my reloading purchases.

very sad

a cowboy told me about new store on the way home from the range 

I walked in and was happy to see big box gun store

We walked out with 8 pounds of bulleye ,2000 primers and lots of Dog stuff

I bought 8 guns from them some in stock most I had to order 

Then the bat flu hit and they closed the store ... then we hear it closed for  good 

1 hour ago, Chuck Steak said:

I wonder how hard they twisted the arms of the Cabelas and Sportsman Warehouse owners in order to force them to sell their stores...

All it took was lots of $$$!

7 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

And the Justice Dept will not pursue an antitrust problem involving firearms.

I was just pondering this... I once spent a year and a half on a Federal Grand Jury hearing a single antitrust case.  

So what other outfits are left in the outdoors equipment field?   :huh:

I really hope it isn’t true...or the deal falls through. Bass Pro really screwed up Cabela’s...hope the same doesn’t happen to Sportsman’s Warehouse...

10 hours ago, Chuck Steak said:

I wonder how hard they twisted the arms of the Cabelas and Sportsman Warehouse owners in order to force them to sell their stores...

Just made it rain is all.

Now I want to run, not walk, to the nearest Sportsmans Warehouse to enjoy it before it goes in the crapper.

Maybe this will allow some room for mom and pop gun stores to have a chance again?

2 hours ago, Still hand Bill said:

Academy and Scheels are the other ones I can think of.  I believe gander mtn is already gone, big 5 seems to be closing stores, Dicks no longer sells firearms. 

Gander Mountain lives on absorbed into Camping World.  Locally they have plenty of handguns while others are sold out.  Possibly this is because their retail location is so remote and they don't advertise enough.

10 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Gander Mountain lives on absorbed into Camping World.  Locally they have plenty of handguns while others are sold out.  Possibly this is because their retail location is so remote and they don't advertise enough.

Of course it could also be the  same insane prices that Gander Mountain has always had as well as the fact the jack@$$ owner of Camping World doesn't want my business.

Archived