SASS Wire Forum

Gunsmithing Winchester 94 trapper

Peter Pollione

I own a Winchester 94 trapper in 45 Colt. I’m looking for a gunsmith who is familiar with the action on this rifle. I’d like to have a short stroke kit installed in same. Thanks Lawmanpete.

Howdy Peter.  The '94 Winchester can not be short stroked.  And it is a terrible rifle for this game.  I had the '94 trapper in 45 as my first CAS rifle (because I didn't know any better).  Good luck.

Peter, you have a nice rifle, one that has a century of history, has value to collectors and is a good rifle for general service.  Unfortunately, rifles that lift the cartridges at an angle (Win 1892 and 1894, Marlins, Colt pump rifles) cannot be short stroked.

Short-stroking is usually done by changing the geometry of the lifting and locking mechanism in rifles that lift the cartridge horizontally, like the Winchester 1866 and 1873 models.

Many shooters enjoy this game without short-stroking their guns.  It is most important that your guns be safe, reliable and smooth.

Yes, the 94 winchester is not the fastest rifle out there, but you can use it in CAS. No need to run out and buy another rifle, unless you have the money and you don't like your rifle and/or your goal in CAS is to win your category or the match.  

I started with a 94 winchester trapper in 44 mag and eventually went to a different rifle, not because I wanted to shoot faster, but because I had a problem with accuracy; I couldn't find a bullet diameter that it liked. 

As others have pointed out, there is no kit to short stroke a 94.  I can’t say it’s not possible, since I never gave it a try, but I think it would take a pretty serious redesign.  New bolt, new lever, new lifter etc.  There is just not enough demand to make it worthwhile.  

I also started with a 94 trapper (30 + years ago). I had the gun and it met the requirements, so I used it.  I found out pretty quick that it was not well suited to the game. It was accurate enough but not fast.  When I racked it fast it would throw live shells out the top.  I saved up and bought an 1873 and never looked back.  

But, if it works for you and you like it, go right ahead and use it. 

I had an "End of Trail" Winchester 94 in .45 Colt for a time, it was not the fastest gun going but it was very accurate ...

It mostly ran just fine if you worked the lever firmly to Both ends of the stroke, I reworked the angle of the rim cut and polished most of the rough spots ... Then it ran 200% better I think I used it as my main Match rifle for about a year , It had a 20 inch round barrel and you could load ten rounds ...

The Trapper is a Handi-cap as it won't hold 10 rounds ....

Sold it to a fellow shooter and he used it for Cowboy long range Pistol caliber match shooting ....

Jabez Cowboy 

Thanks for all of your information about my rifle. When I bought this rifle in 1992, there were not a lot of choices at the time. I’ve been using it for CAS since that year(1992). If I load it with .45 Schofield I can fit 10 in the magazine tube. But unfortunately, I do not reload for that caliber. With my load I can get 9 in the tube in 45 Long Colt. I guess I’ll just keep using this rifle. It has never failed me yet and it is still in beautiful condition. Besides, a new rifle costs over a $1000.00. Thanks again Lawman Pete!

Choice Ammo loads .45 Schofield and are shipping again.

If you've been happy with it since '92, then I take back what I said about it being terrible for this game...for you, anyway!  Mine threw rounds out the top like Doc Coles said, and broke an extractor once.  At least it is easy to load the tenth round over the top.

Yes. I had to be quick with that tenth round. When I started cowboy action shooting, you only needed eight rounds for your rifle. This was due to the lack of rifles available at the time. And you only needed one handgun too. My have times changed.

I started with a Trapper in 1992 and like you I loaded the tenth round on the clock.  The question of altering the action came up years ago and it was generally agreed then that it could not be done.  As I recall the '94 action was an upgrade from the '92 Winchester to allow for heavier rifle cartridges to be used.  Pistol caliber models only came out much later and the design was never intended originally to handle the shorter cartridges.

1 hour ago, Peter Pollione said:

Yes. I had to be quick with that tenth round. When I started cowboy action shooting, you only needed eight rounds for your rifle. This was due to the lack of rifles available at the time. And you only needed one handgun too. My have times changed.

That's how it was when I started in 1996, I went to two shoots that year I really got into it in 97, I bought a Win 94 Trail's End. Beautiful rifle made by Winchester. I got my hands on a 73 and that was it. I was hooked on the 73/66 rifles. I sold that Winny to help pay for a new 73. For this game it's not a very good choice especially if you have to reload one everytime. No offense, Just MHO. To each his own.

I started SASS with a Winchester Trails End in 45 Colt back in '96 and used it for years.  It is 100% reliable and has been totally trouble free.

I had an original '73 at the time that folks said would never be great for CAS.  Funny how times change. 

I still use the 94, with a JW loop BTW, on the Duke's birthday and JFF.  If you like your rifle, use it as long as you want.

17 hours ago, Peter Pollione said:

Thanks for all of your information about my rifle. When I bought this rifle in 1992, there were not a lot of choices at the time. I’ve been using it for CAS since that year(1992). If I load it with .45 Schofield I can fit 10 in the magazine tube. But unfortunately, I do not reload for that caliber. With my load I can get 9 in the tube in 45 Long Colt. I guess I’ll just keep using this rifle. It has never failed me yet and it is still in beautiful condition. Besides, a new rifle costs over a $1000.00. Thanks again Lawman Pete!

I'd definitely take the money you were going to spend on a short stroke and get a set of schofield dies. :)

I might consider reloading for 45 Schofield. I’ll see how I do when the matches start back up in March 2021.

Archived