SASS Wire Forum

Hornady chimes in re ammo

There is an endless supply of tin foil in Aisle #4.. so I doubt the conspiracy theories will go away any time soon.

Those ammo factory employees who are all butt hurt over this, need an attitude adjustment.
They most certainly are not working at the risk and stress level of COVID nurses.

Ammo employees are most likely working at overtime rates, and putting in some serious hours.
This means they have solid earnings, their truck has not be repossessed nor their house lost to a short sale.
Their bills are getting paid, their families have food on the table and the utilities are working in their homes.

The ammo companies are not running at a loss, either.
Overtime labor rates are added to the prices they charge for their products.
They sell everything they can manufacture.
The retail prices we see today area a combination of Market Economics 101, and Price Gouging Supply and Demand.

The blame lies solely on the fools who have been gobbling up ammo in  preparation for the covidzombie apocalypse or their desired New Civil War.

Morons.

17 minutes ago, bgavin said:

There is an endless supply of tin foil in Aisle #4.. so I doubt the conspiracy theories will go away any time soon.

Those ammo factory employees who are all butt hurt over this, need an attitude adjustment.
They most certainly are not working at the risk and stress level of COVID nurses.

Ammo employees are most likely working at overtime rates, and putting in some serious hours.
This means they have solid earnings, their truck has not be repossessed nor their house lost to a short sale.
Their bills are getting paid, their families have food on the table and the utilities are working in their homes.

The ammo companies are not running at a loss, either.
Overtime labor rates are added to the prices they charge for their products.
They sell everything they can manufacture.
The retail prices we see today area a combination of Market Economics 101, and Price Gouging Supply and Demand.

That is true, but according to the CEO of Federal they've actually been getting threats which definitely is not cool.

It's not very complicated and there is no need for conspiracy theories:
1. Covid came along and disrupted production of ammo and the related raw materials both domestically and overseas.
2. A significant number of new shooters buying guns and ammo.
3. Rioting and violence in a number of major U.S. cities with the local government placing restrictions on how the police were allowed to respond.
4. A presidential election year with the Democratic candidate being historically anti-gun and the Republican candidate being nominally pro-gun, which always drives gun & ammo sales up.
5. Contractual agreements with the military and law enforcement to produce enough ammo to meet their needs.
6. The lack of foreign made ammo and other components to make up for domestic shortfalls in ammo and component production.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

But none of this has anything to do with the reasons why there is a 'shortage'. Indeed, it just reinforces the fact that the manufacturers are going full blast, which is the point.

Thanks for putting that up! Makes me feel a little better. Of course I really only buy Hornandy ammo for self defense, I have a box of 20 in 9mm, plus two magazines full of Critical Defense and one box of .45 acp Critical defense plus two magazines full also.

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Thanks for putting that up! Makes me feel a little better. Of course I really only buy Hornandy ammo for self defense, I have a box of 20 in 9mm, plus two magazines full of Critical Defense and one box of .45 acp Critical defense plus two magazines full also.

Same here. I like their defense ammo but they have nothing in the way of cheap range ammo.

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

They have some good varmint rounds too.

I have friends that work there, and I can tell you that the stories about the ammo companies getting threats is most certainly true. PD goes there at shift change just to ward off any numbskulls who want to try something. My friends inside Hornady have told me that despite running 24x7, if they stopped taking orders today, they could run like this for two years before they caught up

Another thing to bear in mind is the extra demand from adding 7 Million+ gun owners in the last 9 months. If each of them only bought 4 boxes of ammo in the last 9 months, that is an increase in demand of 1.4 Billion rounds of ammo without throwing in an election, a pandemic, and social unrest/riots.

I assume it is much like the ar shortage in 2012.  Dealers can’t get any so they order more and there are huge numbers of orders on the books.  They said years worth.  Wasn’t true.  Once demand slacked a little they were plentiful again.  Didn’t take years.   Provided politics doesn’t continue to drive the demand, it will recover quickly.  If politics keeps demand high it could be years. 

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Kaya and I use their XTP bullets in .44 mag for hunting the interlocks in her .243. Very impressed with both. She also carries the XTP in her 1911. Feeds very well.

7 hours ago, bgavin said:

Mmmmm..  Maybe its time to start a little aluminum foil hording.  Sounds like nobody's thought of that yet.  After inauguration day the price will go through the roof!

6 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

They've been going full blast since at least the summer, and yet they STILL can't keep up. That tells you how much we're all buying up... even at crazy prices.

Whatcha mean we? :P

I ordered 500 125gr .38 RNL from Penn Bullets in August. They came in last week.  August!

3 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Kaya and I use their XTP bullets in .44 mag for hunting the interlocks in her .243. Very impressed with both. She also carries the XTP in her 1911. Feeds very well.

Those XTP are scarce.. as in "nowhere" right now... same as Starline brass and H4895 powder.
I have 'em all on my Midway wish-list, that I check 2x daily.

"The stuff that goes out today was literally put in a box yesterday." 

-- You mean, you let it sit ALL NIGHT LONG? Get that stuff on a truck, buddy!

"I can promise you, there is no government conspiracy. . . . "

-- That makes me feel better, because I know that if there was a government conspiracy, you'd say so.

Tin Foil Hat GIFs | Tenor

I'M JOKING, PEOPLE!

No government conspiracy yet...

I heard a guy say on the internet, a guy who knows, that after January 20 any ammo in your possession not microstamped will be a fine and prison time. Per round! Oh, and THEY will know where all this contraband  is 'cause for years every round has been chipped with a micro GPS device.

So there.  :P

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

I heard a guy say on the internet, a guy who knows, that after January 20 any ammo in your possession not microstamped will be a fine and prison time. Per round! Oh, and THEY will know where all this contraband  is 'cause for years every round has been chipped with a micro GPS device.

Well if it was on the internet it MUST BE TRUE!! Okay now I'm worried!:P

NOT!

10 hours ago, bgavin said:

Those XTP are scarce.. as in "nowhere" right now... same as Starline brass and H4895 powder.
I have 'em all on my Midway wish-list, that I check 2x daily.

When I find what I like I stock high and deep. Kaya's children will have those bullets.

Yep. 
I'm well stocked in 243, 38SP, 357, 12-ga ammo.
 .358 and .430 lead bullets, #7.5 shot, wads, brass, powder and primers for same.
Minimal stock in 44SP, 30-06 ammo, .308 bullets
No 44 mag ammo at all.

3 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Must be the husband of the lady who told me that they'll inject a tracking device in you along with the Covid vaccine. Like they do in dogs, ya know? :D:rolleyes:

Archived