SASS Wire Forum

Favorite after market progressive reloader mod?

Matthew Duncan

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I third this. Hubby only has one "good" hand. He threatened me with loading my own ammo. :o So far, I've escaped that :blush: as Mr. Bullet Feeder allows him to load with one hand. B)

:ph34r:

Teach the cat to help....

on second thought...

On 12/21/2020 at 8:30 PM, Hells Comin said:

Mr. Bullet feeder

Glad it worked for you HC, and I know it has for many but it would be on my "most disappointing addition" to reloading press.  Probably all in some part of my set-up, but do not really think so.  I have bullets spill over edge and to many upside-down bullets.  I decided for the time it takes me to negotiate around the upside-down ones I could hand feed as fast.  Much the same feeling about RF-100 upside-down primers versus filling tubes.  I fill tubes now and hand feed bullets.  I figure 100 in close to 5 minutes as long as something else does not go wrong.

MERRY CHRISTMAS Phil.

52 minutes ago, Chancy Shot, SASS #67163 said:

I added one of these.  I like it a lot.

KMS Squared - UFO 550 Reloading Press Light

Chancy

I had an Inline Fab light on my Lee Turret and swapped it out for the UFO light. It's way brighter for my tired old eyes.

The Inline Fab Ergo handle is well worth the money.

2 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Glad it worked for you HC, and I know it has for many but it would be on my "most disappointing addition" to reloading press.  Probably all in some part of my set-up, but do not really think so.  I have bullets spill over edge and to many upside-down bullets.  I decided for the time it takes me to negotiate around the upside-down ones I could hand feed as fast.  Much the same feeling about RF-100 upside-down primers versus filling tubes.  I fill tubes now and hand feed bullets.  I figure 100 in close to 5 minutes as long as something else does not go wrong.

MERRY CHRISTMAS Phil.

Billy, PM or email me if you want to talk to Hubby. He liked it so much that he bought another one. 

33 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Billy, PM or email me if you want to talk to Hubby. He liked it so much that he bought another one. 

Thanks Allie.

I ended up using that die space with powder check so all is well.  I favor seating and crimping separate also.

Merry Christmas

• 2 weeks later...

Another mod I just learned of today.  A primer tube rack that mounts on the side of a Dillon case feeder.  https://entirelycrimson.com/collections/dillon-xl-650/products/primer-tube-rack-for-dillon-case-feeder

1984929697_ScreenShot2021-01-01at2_17_07PM.png.5cc09398373d0ea9edf8679365dbb27a.png

On 12/24/2020 at 9:55 AM, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

MERRY CHRISTMAS Phil.

Something you might try. Keep the die on the press and put a short length of stiff tubing above it. Fit a funnel to the tubing. Now you can just drop the bullets into the funnel. All you have to make sure of is that the bullets are orientated the correct way when you put them into the funnel.

Below is a video of my Lee APP you can see the short length of blue transmission funnel I added to the case feeder to make it easier to manually feed in cases.

On 12/21/2020 at 4:22 PM, Tequila Shooter said:

The In-Line base plate thingy.  I’ve got 3 machines so changing from one to the other is only 2 screws away B)

Yep I have one with 4 base plates. 2 presses and two lubrasizers. Easy to store what I am not using on the wall out of the way.

Quick change press mounting system. One mount, countless uses.

On 12/21/2020 at 8:31 PM, Ripsaw said:

I added a 6mm dia. USB camera/bore scope (like $10 on ebay) down the center of the bullet seat die on my SDB.  The press geometry prevents you from seeing small charges in a tall case, e.g., 38spl.   The scope lets you visually confirm powder charge before setting bullet on the case. 

@Ripsaw Where did you get the camera?  Did you drill out the seating stem?

36 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Something you might try. Keep the die on the press and put a short length of stiff tubing above it. Fit a funnel to the tubing. Now you can just drop the bullets into the funnel. All you have to make sure of is that the bullets are orientated the correct way when you put them into the funnel.

Below is a video of my Lee APP you can see the short length of blue transmission funnel I added to the case feeder to make it easier to manually feed in cases.

Good idea.  Thanks Dave.

I made an adapter to hold an RCBS Little Dandy measure, but couldn't figure out a way to make it automatically activated by pulling the press handle. I have to reach up every time to turn the rotor, and early on, I'd forget and skip one... or three. So I made a bracket to mount an old bale counter on the contraption that would trip every time the rotor was turned. If I loaded 50 and the counter said 50, I was golden. If it was less, out came the powder funnel to give 'em all a listen - put one end in the powder funnel drop tube, hold it in with your finger, put the big end up close to your ear, and give it a shake.

PowderChargeCounter.jpg

On 12/21/2020 at 12:27 PM, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

The extended primer slide bearing plate for the Dillon 550.    No more primer slide hangups!   Thanks, UniqueTek!

Good luck, GJ

This ↑↑↑

I really am digging the XL750 upgrade kit for the Square Deal B.  Got mine from Double Alpha Academy (doublealpha.biz).  

56 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Link please

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/dillon-xl-750-with-case-feeder-and-caliber-kit

looks like it's out of stock now, but I ordered one three weeks ago and it came in a week. 

8 hours ago, Ripsaw said:

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/dillon-xl-750-with-case-feeder-and-caliber-kit

looks like it's out of stock now, but I ordered one three weeks ago and it came in a week. 

I'm trying to figure out how that is an upgrade for a Square Deal B

42 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

It was a tongue-in-cheek post, Dave.  

6 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

5 hours ago, Ripsaw said:

It was a tongue-in-cheek post, Dave.  

I'm glad I wasn't the only one confused!:D

4 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one confused!:D

Can't deny that the XL750 is an upgrade to the Square Deal, right? LOL. 

I actually have four (4) square deal presses for various pistol cartridges but always loaded rifle on a Rockchucker.  Finally pulled the trigger on a XL750 with a case feeder in 38/357 which I load the most. And added 300AAC and 5.56 tool heads.  It's actually fun loading for the ARs now, and I'll be shooting a lot more now that loading is a lot less tedious.  Need to order some more tool heads for the other rifle cartridges now.  

I resisted the progressive press for rifle for many years, but now wish I had done it sooner. 

I replaced the aging, no longer translucent green plastic hopper on my RCBS Powder measure with a Dram Worx Pyrex Hopper.

Took me longer to unpack the new hopper than to install it on the powder measure, it's a great product and it's nice to be able to easily see the level of power I've got left.

Now all I need are more primers.

Pyrex Hopper.jpg

Archived