SASS Wire Forum

Plinker Category?

DeaconKC

10 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

* "Tenderfoot" might not be the best name, choose something more appealing and marketable. Main thought is to bring the price of entry way down. Could .22lr and .410 do that?

Names for the small-bore category -- 'Ranch Hand'? 'Scout'?

Shooting .22s might help bring the price down, but I doubt .410 would (if you could find it) -- too many people with pocket shotguns, I guess. 

2 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

There's already a "Wrangler" category;)

SHB p.6

I thought that sounded familiar.

57 minutes ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Names for the small-bore category -- 'Ranch Hand'? 'Scout'?

Shooting .22s might help bring the price down, but I doubt .410 would (if you could find it) -- too many people with pocket shotguns, I guess. 

Scout sounds good.

57 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

No.  Current best practice for stage writing is 'rifle not last.'  Plenty of stages end with pistols.

I've known this for quite some time, but never knew the reason why.  Why is the rifle not last?

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

I've known this for quite some time, but never knew the reason why.  Why is the rifle not last?

Thanks.

Because timers don’t always pick up rifle shots. At a local match recently we had a stage that finished with shotgun BUT, if you got all the knockdown targets with your rifle the shotgun wasn’t needed. As a result many shooters, including me, finished with the rifle. We had one shooter who had to shoot the stage 3 times before we were able to pick up his last rifle shot.

8 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Thanks.

Longer barreled rifles in 38 will not always register. I know that for a fact. Holding the timer out farther is not always an option as some shooters don't want to see the TO in their peripheral vision.

4 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Because timers don’t always pick up rifle shots. At a local match recently we had a stage that finished with shotgun BUT, if you got all the knockdown targets with your rifle the shotgun wasn’t needed. As a result many shooters, including me, finished with the rifle. We had one shooter who had to shoot the stage 3 times before we were able to pick up his last rifle shot.

I have been a spotter at matches that some of the rifle loads were so weak and quiet, I could hear the "twang" of the target better than the rifle report. That's why the rifle's not last.

1 hour ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Longer barreled rifles in 38 will not always register. I know that for a fact. Holding the timer out farther is not always an option as some shooters don't want to see the TO in their peripheral vision.

need timers on selfie sticks...

If we want to shoot .22 and dont care if we are eligible to win category or match, why not use a "No score" category. We get to shoot, hang out with friends and have fun. Timer issues and difficulty for spotters becomes a nonissue. If the shooter feels a necessity to compete they can elect to use SASS legal ammo and firearms, their choice. No harm no foul. Of course this would be at the local level and Match Director's discretion. Pretty much what is done now. All SASS safety rules apply, some adjustment would likely be needed to check for rounds under hammer on pistols, maybe Magic marker on cylinder to show empty chamber, easily removable after the match with acetone, lacquer or other paint thinner, so it is non permanent.

My $.02

Imis

6 hours ago, Dirty Dog Doug said:

Since we are changing rules to have fun with 22s 

do we have to have shotguns in the game ?

410 shell are never on sale 

back to drinking 

I think most .22 lever actions hold enough that they could use the rifle for both the rifle targets and the shotgun targets. 

2 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Buckarolds :)

At first I read this as Buckaroids!

I guess I don't understand the problem with the timers picking up the 22 pistol.  Between my 3 daughters shooting 22s in cowboy matches I don't remember one time the timer didn't pick up the time.   We have many years of shooting 22s all around the northwest with zero problems.   When the shotgun ends the stage there is no problem picking up the time even the 410.  I have seen more problems with very fast shooters and people not able to count hits using 38 loads.    Bullett 19707

Have been thinking about shooting my .22 rifle at a match or two to save on a few primers.

As I have a good supply of .22 ammo.

Don't have any .22 single action pistols. So would have to be a category

that I could use my normal pistols.

But our local club is pretty good at finding spots for you to shoot in hard times like this. 

The .22 would be a handicap for me. As I am much slower with it than the 73.

I have a pair of Bisley Single Six in 22LR that are an exact match for the same Vaquero pairs in 357 and 44 mag.
My understanding is that all Ruger Bisley grips are the same.  They certainly feel that way to me.

Combine this with a Henry Frontier in 22LR, and I would be thrilled to shoot in a Buckarold category, along with my regular SxS 12-gauge.
I don't see the shortage of components going away anytime in the foreseeable future.
A Democrat trifecta in January and perpetual C19 lockdowns will keep the shortages active.

Da timer can pick-up every shot from my regular Match Rifle and Load from 134 yards away, if there is no buildings in line of sight ...

But as fer a .22 Class go for it !!! And allow 28 ga. guns in the game as Well as the Cheap 24 ga. Russian doubles , if folks have them and want to shoot them ...  

I know quite a few former Skeet Shooters that have 28 ga. doubles , .22 revolvers, that aready owning 3 out of 4 guns might give CAS a go ...

Jabez Cowboy

Archived