SASS Wire Forum

Plinker Category?

DeaconKC

I decided to start this thread to keep another clear, so bear with me. I see lots of folks here who have hand issues or other problems shooting larger, even the .38s, calibers. The second thing I have noticed, like everyone else, is ammo/component availability. Soooo, do you think it would be a good idea to introduce a "Plinker" category for using .22s instead of the centerfire rounds? What do you think would be the basis for rules, etc?

2 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

I decided to start this thread to keep another clear, so bear with me. I see lots of folks here who have hand issues or other problems shooting larger, even the .38s, calibers. The second thing I have noticed, like everyone else, is ammo/component availability. Soooo, do you think it would be a good idea to introduce a "Plinker" category for using .22s instead of the centerfire rounds? What do you think would be the basis for rules, etc?

I have no problem with that idea.  Treat it like any age based category, with any SASS legal 22s allowed.  Participants should not be eligible for the overall. 

Just a warning, even the best timers sometimes have trouble picking up shots from 22's so extra diligence is needed by TO. Any local club can do this as a category at their monthly. 

I don't have an issue with this. I personally have met shooters that had to stop because of shoulder and back issues. The lighter firearms and no recoil could get them back in the game. I also would like to see the adoption of the NCOWS "Working Cowboy" category that only requires one pistol and one rifle. Affording two pistols, a rifle, and a shotgun kept me out of the game for 16 years. I met yet another wanna-be shooter that is struggling to come up with the funds for all of the weapons. He has a rifle and pistol so he could be shooting right now if that category was in place. Yes, he could probably borrow firearms, but some, like myself, feel funny using someone else's firearms.

6 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Just a warning, even the best timers sometimes have trouble picking up shots from 22's so extra diligence is needed by TO. Any local club can do this as a category at their monthly. 

And us spotters will also have to pay extra attention. It's hard enough to spot .36 cap and ball shots!

I do not see reloading components readily available in the foreseeable future.
With this in mind, I am very reluctant to spend down my stock of centerfire supplies.
So far, I am 100% unsuccessful in finding a tub of H4895 or brass for '06.

I do have pistols and rifle in 22LR that are suitable for buckaroo... but I'm a very long way past that young age.
Pity, as I have an abundance of 22 cartridges.

Clubs around me have been doing that for years. We call ours the 22 Rimfire Class., and there are some other names, but it's two .22 single action revolvers, a 22 lever action or pump rifle, and a shotgun. Very few issues with spotting hits and misses. As for the timer the rifle is the problem firearm if shot last.

i would like to have the option of it even if only a side match event , it would make some sense for those struggling with the heavier firearms and recoil , i dont see a need for a whole set of different rules , just apply the existing ones with TRO and spotters taking extra care as they do with the buckaroos  , 

i also have pistols and rifle in 22LR that are suitable for this and I have an abundance of 22 cartridges  , 

we have all shot buckerooooo with 22s   the shotgun inserts sure shuck great 

Mild bunch  instead of wild bunch . the inserts  run ok on pump guns 

in steel callenge  90% are shooting 22s now 

after all it all about having fun with guns  and friends 

1 hour ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

1 hour ago, Cholla said:

And us spotters will also have to pay extra attention. It's hard enough to spot .36 cap and ball shots!

spray paint targets?  Paint is cheap if not quick to apply.

47 minutes ago, El CupAJoe said:

spray paint targets?  Paint is cheap if not quick to apply.

Many ranges do not have berms between stages.  We would have to call a general ceasefire to paint after every shooter.  That would get aggravating if several posses are shooting at the same.

I shot Outlaw Buckeroo with .22s this last weekend.

I told the spotters to call me on anything they want to as far as misses, I was there to shoot not compete.

Unfortunately they took me quite literally. :lol:

And I had a blast!

AND I WON MY CATEGORY!!

22 minutes ago, Waimea said:

I shot Outlaw Buckeroo with .22s this last weekend.

I told the spotters to call me on anything they want to as far as misses, I was there to shoot not compete.

Unfortunately they took me quite literally. :lol:

And I had a blast!

AND I WON MY CATEGORY!!

Outlaw buckaroo huh......I guess you have to change your alias for that match to Little Miss Sure Shot! :lol:   Joyeux Noel Waimea!

Kajun

33 minutes ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Outlaw buckaroo huh......I guess you have to change your alias for that match to Little Miss Sure Shot! :lol:   Joyeux Noel Waimea!

Kajun

I believe I will stay with Why-enema or whatever. LOL

You have a great Christmas too, Kajun.

Should they add .410 to shotgun for this?

1 hour ago, Castalia,SASS#18915 said:

Make it an inexpensive .410 pump from Wally World. That way a cowboy could play this game for under $900.00 for the hardware.

If there was a way for a new shooter to get into this sport with about $1000 for "tools," and under $2,000 for "tools" and a full year of shooting (ammo, entry fees, gasoline, cleaning supplies, etc.), it might increase participation.

$1,000 and $2,000 are mental check points for impulse purchases. TVs, computers, sewing machines, down payment on a car... These price thresholds make a difference.

This sport as it exists today requires commitment at least two times these numbers. I'm not sure a pump shotgun is the way to go, but maybe basing on .22lr and some inexpensive SxS driven as cheap as possible (well, reasonable without being frustrating) for some sort of "tenderfoot*" class might get new shooters into the sport.

* "Tenderfoot" might not be the best name, choose something more appealing and marketable. Main thought is to bring the price of entry way down. Could .22lr and .410 do that?

8 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Shotgun last. Solved.

5 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

Shotgun last. Solved.

Not if the sg fails. Had it happen, every shot should be on the timer. Best way to catch the rifle shots is to set the timer on the table as far forward as possible. 

8 hours ago, Cholla said:

I don't have an issue with this. I personally have met shooters that had to stop because of shoulder and back issues. The lighter firearms and no recoil could get them back in the game. ...

Another vote against my previous post of "Tenderfoot," open to a better name. Many have the mind and the skill and the ability to share the same but the body complains.

I'm looking at the problem of how much it costs to get into this sport.

4 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

No, because you’re now either requiring clubs to write two different scenarios for every stage, or all stages must always end with shotgun. I hardly call that a ‘solution.’

I thought that "shotgun last" was best practice already(?) for stage writing because of limitations in timer technology.

6 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Not if the sg fails. Had it happen, every shot should be on the timer. Best way to catch the rifle shots is to set the timer on the table as far forward as possible. 

No matter what fails, if it fails on the last shot it is a problem. Penalty for the miss is no problem, but when to apply the penalty if the click did not register? Maybe there is a rule for this already?

Rules and penalties?

how about fun with guns and friends!!

one of our stages was 90 rounds rifle with 6 tube rotary loader  this was a fun game 

members of our club have a total of 4 Uberti 12 shot 22s pistol 

48 pistol rounds from ther table 

each gun owner loads and unloads his own pistol

. yes we raced who was fastest reloading toooo

best line these are like the Hollywood guns that never empty 

. yea we cant do that with the vid 

yes a round under the hammer  which is why all guns are tabled 

mild bunch a 1911 in 22  most shoot a GSG bring 5 mag for 50 rounds with changes on the time 

as long as everyone shots the same targets  have fun and shoot safe 

3 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

If there was a way for a new shooter to get into this sport with about $1000 for "tools," and under $2,000 for "tools" and a full year of shooting (ammo, entry fees, gasoline, cleaning supplies, etc.), it might increase participation.

$1,000 and $2,000 are mental check points for impulse purchases. TVs, computers, sewing machines, down payment on a car... These price thresholds make a difference.

This sport as it exists today requires commitment at least two times these numbers. I'm not sure a pump shotgun is the way to go, but maybe basing on .22lr and some inexpensive SxS driven as cheap as possible (well, reasonable without being frustrating) for some sort of "tenderfoot*" class might get new shooters into the sport.

* "Tenderfoot" might not be the best name, choose something more appealing and marketable. Main thought is to bring the price of entry way down. Could .22lr and .410 do that?

I'm 3 guns down 1 to go, so far I spent $200 shipped and transferred for my 20 gauge system crescent firearms circa 1900 back in 2016, I was given a ASM 1860 by a coworker who is sick and I helped him sell off his gun collection,  and my father in law hooked me up with an asm 1858 as an early Christmas present!  Both arm's have needed parts and work which so far I've been doing myself... about $75 fixing them up.  With some of my bonus money, I got a couple triple k holsters and a hunter brand shotgun belt, $90... so $365 is all I'm in for so far... should be enough to let me go have fun with the people of a Gunsmoke persuasion once or twice a year for a couple years.  

I prefer Cheechacko to tenderfoot.

Heritage .22 revolvers can be had for $129 each. A Henry for less than $400. Add a cheap small caliber shotgun and you're in the game for $800. Used "cowboy" holsters and belts can be had at many gun stores or gun shows for pennies on the dollar.

no point in making people pay high prices for 410s or buy new shotguns - use what you already have for that , i thought we were trying to keep folks shooting in an era of shortage - ive not seen 410s on shelves in a while , 

6 hours ago, Cholla said:

How about Wrangler category? Cowhand Category?

There's already a "Wrangler" category;)

Wrangler/Lady Wrangler: Age 36 and up

SHB p.6

Archived