SASS Wire Forum

Change in Packaging?

Sixgun Seamus

The top two were purchased this summer. Bottom two bought in past two weeks. Anyone else seeing this change. Just curious.

IMG_20201220_161358156~2.jpg

1 minute ago, Waimea said:

The bigger question is where in h-e-double-hockey-sticks did you find primers in the past 2 weeks?

LGS chain in NE Ohio. I bought 500 Winchester LP two weeks ago and 500 Federal SP and 500 CCI LP last week. 

Limit 500 per type  - limit 1000 total. I bought the 1000 last week for other cowboys. 

1 minute ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

LGS chain in NE Ohio. I bought 500 Winchester LP two weeks ago and 500 Federal SP and 500 CCI LP last week. 

Limit 500 per type  - limit 1000 total. I bought the 1000 last week for other cowboys. 

Thought you might be making bootleg runs across Lake Erie.:lol:

Just now, Waimea said:

Thought you might be making bootleg runs across Lake Erie.:lol:

Hmmmm......there's an idea. Anybody gotta big boat I can borrow for a couple days.

7 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Hmmmm......there's an idea. Anybody gotta big boat I can borrow for a couple days.

I've heard rumors that there's plenty just north of you.

I'm guessing there might be an issue bringing that type of purchase back though.

I dunno.

55 minutes ago, Waimea said:

I've heard rumors that there's plenty just north of you.

I'm guessing there might be an issue bringing that type of purchase back though.

I dunno.

Remember the rum runners during Prohibition?  Where there’s a will there’s a way.  Of course if it was me I’d probably get caught :o

51 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Remember the rum runners during Prohibition?  Where there’s a will there’s a way.  Of course if it was me I’d probably get caught :o

One of my Dad's uncles was a Rumrunner, disappeared and they finally found his body about 5 years ago.

2 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

The top two were purchased this summer. Bottom two bought in past two weeks. Anyone else seeing this change. Just curious.

IMG_20201220_161358156~2.jpg

I saw the federal package change back in the summer. Also a package change in some of their shotshells. I’ve also seen it on some of the primers offered on gunbroker

1 hour ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

French.

Thanks ... 

Sooooooooo ... I didn't have any problem finding Federal Small Pistols Primers/Amorces at a French site!!

First search and whammo ... there they are ... In Stock too ... 

https://www.armurerie-gilles.com/@FR-FR/federal_lc78.html

I guess the new packaging allows them to fit in better in their overseas market ...

That is an amazing shortage!! Short here but not short there!! 

Wow ... 

1 hour ago, Patagonia Pete said:

Thanks ... 

Sooooooooo ... I didn't have any problem finding Federal Small Pistols Primers/Amorces at a French site!!

First search and whammo ... there they are ... In Stock too ... 

https://www.armurerie-gilles.com/@FR-FR/federal_lc78.html

I guess the new packaging allows them to fit in better in their overseas market ...

That is an amazing shortage!! Short here but not short there!! 

Wow ... 

The price is about $55/1000. About what you can buy them for on Gunbroker.

The new packaging is to differentiate between the old priming compound with a spec'd shelf life of 47+ years, and the new priming compound designed with obsolescent degradation chemicals that only last two to three years.

1 hour ago, Waimea said:

The price is about $55/1000. About what you can buy them for on Gunbroker.

Yep ... don't know what they usually pay ... They also have loaded ammo. Looks like about everything in stock. 

38 special is averaging 15 euro ... < $20 ...

https://www.armurerie-gilles.com/@FR-FR/cal-38-sp_lc159.html

49 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

The new packaging is to differentiate between the old priming compound with a spec'd shelf life of 47+ years, and the new priming compound designed with obsolescent degradation chemicals that only last two to three years.

SAY WHAT?????

15 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

The Fin??

31 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The Fin??

Yep.

27 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Yep.

My son lives 5 minutes from the Middleburg Hts. store, I'll have him check. He did last week and there was nothing but shotgun primers and I got lots of those!

11 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Do you have any more information on this, 3 Foot?  Not only would this affect the shelf life of the primers while still in the sleeve, but also the shelf life of loaded ammo.

11 minutes ago, Dusty Boddems said:

I bet they have tracking agents and special radio markers in those primers also. I bet you have to wear a special aluminum hat to be fully protected...........

I bet they include the tin foil!!:P

38 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Do you have any more information on this, 3 Foot?  Not only would this affect the shelf life of the primers while still in the sleeve, but also the shelf life of loaded ammo.

It’s an urban legend that started after California purposed the idea so people couldn’t hoard ammo!

Oh Gimmie a BREAK!!  Someone lights off a RUMOR, tongue in cheek and the next thing you know . . . . BANG > Folks start to think it's real.

THREE FOOT be pulling yer legs Hangtree.

Thanks a bunch Three Foot.  It'll take two, three weeks to kill this one.  Sheesh

2 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Oh Gimmie a BREAK!!  Someone lights off a RUMOR, tongue in cheek and the next thing you know . . . . BANG > Folks start to think it's real.

THREE FOOT be pulling yer legs Hangtree.

Thanks a bunch Three Foot.  It'll take two, three weeks to kill this one.  Sheesh

Thanks, CC.  We relative newbies will fall for almost anything. :blink:

21 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Grampa C was a Deputy Sheriff during that time frame.

They lived 5 miles from Lake Ontario and used to do midnight patrols of the lakeshore.

I have his revolver.

3 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Thanks, CC.  We relative newbies will fall for almost anything. :blink:

Hey Marshal 

Don't feel too bad.

I borrowed my landlord's trailer for a lead run the other day. 

He got new wheels on it.

He said "You should be careful of speed traps cuz those new wheels are gonna run faster than the old ones."

I said "Really?!?"

He just turned and walked away.

:lol:

Archived