SASS Wire Forum

Back in the last powder crunch I purchased far to much of this and at "I want to shoot" prices.  Before I got a good standardized load I was able to get powder that I liked better and at cheaper price.   Yesterday I got into a little cleanup mood and discovered probably twenty pounds of this stored in reloading room.   Container suggests using load data for Hodgdon Universal starting 10% below.  Heck, right off, don't know anyone using it either.  

5 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I tend to ask George Baylor with questions like this.

I would normally ask Billy Boots.   But considering he don't know, I'm really at a loss...... :o

P.S. - 20# of powder would even make a good boat anchor.

..........Widder

Billy, CSB-1 is the Spanish powder that 3 fellas in Virginia were selling out of their office bathroom as ETR7.  I drove down and bought 8 lbs.  It has the same loading data as Titegroup.  Have worked up several caliber’s loading data.  IMO, it is excellent powder  Wrong, not the same as Titegroup

Years ago Pecos Clyde turned me on to it. I haven't used it in a long time, but it worked great. I don't recall the load data I used for 38's, I believe it was similar to Clay's load data. Hopefully someone can verify a load for you.

Tully

11 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I would normally ask Billy Boots.   But considering he don't know, I'm really at a loss...... :o

..........Widder

If I only had a boat. :)

Merry Christmas

I had some Billy. Slick was selling a bunch of it at WR one year at a good price so picked up a few jars of it. Might still have one jar left.  Seems like I put 3 gn in a 38. Fact is, I put about 3 gn of any fast powder in a 38 and move up or down a skootch if needed.  That's a secret,  don't tell anyone

Snakebite

24 minutes ago, Tully Mars said:

Years ago Pecos Clyde turned me on to it. I haven't used it in a long time, but it worked great. I don't recall the load data I used for 38's, I believe it was similar to Clay's load data. Hopefully someone can verify a load for you.

Tully

Tully, Got to be good if Clyde used it.  Containers mention Universal comparison but although I use Clays, never Universal Clays (assuming a slight difference).  Yes to 38s but as I remember it took more for accuracy than my Titegroup or Clays load.  My preference in a choice powder is that in obtaining accuracy I do not go over the felt recoil I am comfortable with as a duelist.  As I remember I had to get over 4 grains of  CSB-1 for satisfactory accuracy and felt recoil was a tad more than I desired.  Again, as a duelist...Cattle Baron Duelist at that.

7 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

I had some Billy. Slick was selling a bunch of it at WR one year at a good price so picked up a few jars of it. Might still have one jar left.  Seems like I put 3 gn in a 38. Fact is, I put about 3 gn of any fast powder in a 38 and move up or down a skootch if needed.  That's a secret,  don't tell anyone

Snakebite

I load 3.2 in my 38's with a 125 and 2.3 in my 32's with a 100.

J.M.

10 hours ago, John Boy said:

Billy, CSB-1 is the Spanish powder that 3 fellas in Virginia were selling out of their office bathroom as ETR7.  I drove down and bought 8 lbs.  It has the same loading data as Titegroup.  Have worked up several caliber’s loading data.  IMO, it is excellent powder 

Yes and I believe company was Maxam and used in some of their Rio shotgun ammo.  Didn't know about the Virginia connection nor the ETR7.

10 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

Snakebite

That is about what i like in the powder we like in CAS but as I remember CSB1 just needed more.  I even use a little less than 3 with Clays but a tad more for Titegroup

10 hours ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

I like ETR7 and wish I had more.  But saying it is like titegroup is not accurate.

I'll get back with you on what load I use for 38's.

M,

Thanks, be interesting to know.  I had never heard of ETR7.

11 minutes ago, Johnny Meadows,SASS#28485L said:

Billy, sent you a pm.

I shoot it  and have shot it for years.

Johnny M.

Got it. Thanks. PMed you back.

Yes and I believe company was Maxam and used in some of their Rio shotgun ammo.  Didn't know about the Virginia connection nor the ETR7.

Maxam was the importer.  The 3 fellas in Virginia had drums of CSB-1 in the office bathroom and were repackaging into plastic containers labeled ETR7.  The containers had loading data printed on them with comparable calibers for US powders. 

Marauder .. my error, corrected in post .... ETR7 is not comparable to Titegroup for 38 Spl

ETR7 - 38 Spl ... 125gr bullet = 4.1gr Min 4.6gr Max

Titegroup - 38 Spl .... 125gr bullet = 3.2gr Min 3.8gr Max

Snakebite, on an 8# jug, there are additional caliber's loading data on the label on the back too ... ie  44 Rem, 45Auto and Shotgun

In addition, I reload 45LC with ETR7:

* 200gr=5.5gr

* 243gr=6.4gr

* 256gr=6.1gr

This is like when we would go to Arkansas and folks would come from all over the hill country in NW Arkansas and we would visit and eat all day long........ It' all Relative!

2 hours ago, Snakebite said:

This is like when we would go to Arkansas and folks would come from all over the hill country in NW Arkansas and we would visit and eat all day long........ It' all Relative!

Good info. Thanks  Snakebite.  From my reading on a shotgun forum, John Boy is right about ETR7 and CSB-1 being equal or very, very close.  Thus best figure to use Universal data rather than Titegroup.   

4 hours ago, John Boy said:

Marauder .. my error, corrected in post .... ETR7 is not comparable to Titegroup for 38 Spl

ETR7 - 38 Spl ... 125gr bullet = 4.1gr Min 4.6gr Max

Titegroup - 38 Spl .... 125gr bullet = 3.2gr Min 3.8gr Max

Snakebite, on an 8# jug, there are additional caliber's loading data on the label on the back too ... ie  44 Rem, 45Auto and Shotgun

In addition, I reload 45LC with ETR7:

* 200gr =5.5gr

* 243gr=6.4gr

* 256gr=6.1gr

Im not the most experienced reloader here, by far, so that is why I am asking this question (plus, Ive had a lb of etr-7 for years now that I havnt used due to this confusion)...shouldnt the weight of powder needed decrease as the weight of the projectile increases?
which is why Im wondering if your 5.5 gr is a misprint? On the hodgdon website it lists  :Hodgdon Universal 0.452" 1.600" 6.4gr min to 8.8gr maximum for a 200gr cast LRNFP

Dan, until I verify typo or what, deleting  the 200 gr charge ... follow up below

Dan, loaded five 200gr RNL rounds of the marked 5.5gr ETR7  in a Ruger 4 5/8 revolver.  Average of 5 rounds was 840 fps using my MagnetoSport chronograph in the basement.  Not a heavy recoil and the primers showed no abnormal ignition

Must admit, you had me scratching my head because the rounds came out a box of 100

ETR7 is hotter than Titegroup in a 200gr RNL bullet with this data ...  Titegroup 5.0 gr. 731 minimum

On 12/20/2020 at 7:37 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

..........Widder

Oh my...are you pickin' on my Billy Boots!!!:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Oh my...are you pickin' on my Billy Boots!!!:rolleyes:

I may have to get Red Knee to make him behave.:)

Archived