SASS Wire Forum

Travel To California - Could Use Guidance From Local Pards

Calamity Kris

I received a notice from my airline this morning asking me to fill out the California self-quarantine form prior to my trip.  We had only planned to be there for 7 days, but the current quarantine requirement is 14 days.  There will be a fine of up to $500.00 if you don't fill out the form and fines if you are caught violating the quarantine.

If I don't fill out the form, or enter inaccurate information, it could jeopardize my job.  I can't afford to stay for two weeks, just to comply with their orders.

I have read notices that some county governments aren't enforcing the travel restrictions.  Is that really the case? 

We're torn between being there for our families, which could really use our support right now, and wanting to stay out of all the bureaucracy.  I checked the Cali State Covid site and it was somewhat vague on what constitutes "essential travel".  ie we aren't going to be tourists but we won't be working while there so are we non-essential?  We will be there to support family but not giving them critical care..... etc.

Any advice and information is appreciated.

If they have a 14 day quarantine I'm not sure I would make the trip.  One of my coworkers is going to visit his Sister and other realatives on in the east, she lives in virgina and others are in surronding states.  He was checking the variuos states C-19 edics daily and some states had very restrictive quarantines and it made a difference if you flew directly in vrs flying to adjoining state and driving in.  I just told him to be careful, have fun and return back to Texas.

20 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Depending on where in California you are headed I would fly to either Phoenix, Vegas, or Reno, rent a car and drive the rest of the way.  

This is what I would recommend if you must travel here.  

Basically, if you fill out that paper and then fly out 7 days later the original info is put into a “Contact Tracing” registry, from what I understand. If you fly and they flag your name then they’ll assess the fine, which if you don’t pay will cause a bench warrant to be generated and the fine doubles every 3 months or so. Since these edicts are generated by the department of public health under “extreme” conditions or extenuating circumstances there is no real way to fight the ticket or fines in court. It’s kind of like getting a ticket or “assessment” from the Fire Dept here. No court will entertain allowing one to fight this sort of ticket. 

There are a few counties where the Sheriff’s office is not enforcing the governor’s edicts. Orange County is one and believe it or not do is LA County but the Sheriff in LA Cty. does not patrol or have jurisdiction at LAX. I do not know how that works in regards to the enforcement of the airline documents you spoke of. 

“Essential Travel” is mostly for work related travel. If you read the article in the link below you will see that this article talks about the December 3rd directives from Newsom’s office and that there is more information to follow. That information was not followed up and I have looked for it. Also, I get daily briefs at work regarding CoVid and new updates. The governor’s office has not updated the info put out in the article below. 

https://www.latimes.com/travel/story/2020-12-03/california-shutdown-newsom-move-could-mean-leisure-travelers

Honestly, unless you must travel I would consider not traveling unless it’s a case of seeing family that you may not see again for some time or ever again. I am not trying to be callous but by traveling you are also putting yourself at risk and not just from a ticket or a fine. 

We’d like to keep you around for as long as possible too. :)

PLUS ONE for Everybody who have counseled to "Stay Home."  Attempting to skirt the restrictions using "sort of" logic and Excuse is a fools errand.  Not complying, and Trusting to "not being enforced" could well mean hefty fines and jail time.  If you are unable to be "off work" for two - three weeks, can you afford, really afford, potentially months in a Jail???  Additionally additional . . . . If you haven't received either of the vaccines, can you afford to be on a ventilator in an ICU for a month??

We went through something similar in Connecticut. Our approach was we’re Americans so damn their bureaucracy, threats of fines and jail time. My family went, shopped, did whatever, even though they had a 14 day curfew. Came back 10 days later. But my crew drove, not flew, and had the luxury of a Connecticut plated vehicle to get around in. The in-laws express it tends to be a tattle tell nanny state but since moving to a more rural, small town not so bad.

I dont think you have to stay 14 days. They just “require” you to a self-imposed quarantine for 14 days before engaging in normal activities. If you stayed 2 days, stayed quarantined the whole two days, then you’ve not broken the 14 day quarantine. How do you abide by it anyway? As soon as you land and mill around the airport, you’re not quarantined. You’re already in violation. By definition, I would think visiting California residents anytime prior to the 14 day period violates their restrictions for quarantine. The quarantine supposedly is to stop covid coming in, and keep Californians from being exposed to supposed infected non Californians. So by their rules, you can’t see anyone for 14 days anyway .

I’d drive in if I must.

Thanks for the advice.  You explained what we had thought.  We're now talking with the family about postponing Christmas until June.  Hopefully the vaccine will be working through the populous driving the number of cases down and the restrictions will start to ease.

Thanks again,

CK

You didn't mention your destination.
Phoenix is a do-able drive to SoCal, Reno to NorCal.

If you come in to SoCal on I10, the world changes at the CA border.
All the nice roads go away, the rest stops are either filthy, boarded-up, or both, and gas is $1.50 more per gallon.

If you get pulled over, just speak Spanish and they will think you are an illegal and welcome you with open arms and a voter registration card.

If I was in your situation, I would NOT fly in.
As noted above... Zoom in...

Choosing between your family and your job really sucks! I wouldn't go, stay home and like you said go back when this settles down some.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year;)

20 hours ago, bgavin said:

You didn't mention your destination.
Phoenix is a do-able drive to SoCal, Reno to NorCal.

If you come in to SoCal on I10, the world changes at the CA border.
All the nice roads go away, the rest stops are either filthy, boarded-up, or both, and gas is $1.50 more per gallon.

If you get pulled over, just speak Spanish and they will think you are an illegal and welcome you with open arms and a voter registration card.

If I was in your situation, I would NOT fly in.
As noted above... Zoom in...

Our destination was LA.  Vegas would have been closest but it was still a 5 hour drive to our hotel. 

We called my FIL last night and explained everything to him.  He was sad but he understood.  We told him we would work on connecting after everything settles down.  It was a bummer but it was the best thing for all involved.  The airline would hold my ticket charges for a year.  The rental car company charged me a small fee to cancel and the hotel charged me nothing.  We had to cancel the pet sitter, who is really hurting with all of this so we are going to give her a "cancellation fee" just because........ 

I'm sure someone will Zoom or Facetime with us so we can connect.  It is what it is.

Thanks for all the advice.

Yes indeed, Las Vegas is much closer.
Our last drive in that way was on I10 from Phoenix, so I had Phoenix on the brain.

Learn to use Zoom.
IMO, this lockdown and mask situation is NOT going to improve in the foreseeable future.

Sacramento County was proposing a $10,000 daily fine on those who violate the lockdown orders.
Voter response against this stupidity was overwhelming, so they took it off the agenda.
No doubt it will be back, as the lockdowns continue.

4 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

I'm sure someone will Zoom of Facetime with us so we can connect.  It is what it is.

Have you though about putting them on your phone plan.  Most companies have smart phones and plans that allow for 4 lines at right around $120.00 with additional lines very reasonable. Then have all the phones configured with Skype, Face Time, Zoom or another application. This way everything is already set up and all they need to do is select the app.

This also frees up some of their income as they no longer have to pay for their own phone plan.  Several in my family do this.

Schedule a weekly or by-weekly time to connect. That way is becomes part of everyone's routine.

On 12/21/2020 at 10:34 AM, Calamity Kris said:

Our destination was LA.  Vegas would have been closest but it was still a 5 hour drive to our hotel. 

We called my FIL last night and explained everything to him.  He was sad but he understood.  We told him we would work on connecting after everything settles down.  It was a bummer but it was the best thing for all involved.  The airline would hold my ticket charges for a year.  The rental car company charged me a small fee to cancel and the hotel charged me nothing.  We had to cancel the pet sitter, who is really hurting with all of this so we are going to give her a "cancellation fee" just because........ 

I'm sure someone will Zoom of Facetime with us so we can connect.  It is what it is.

Thanks for all the advice.

Since you took time off work, maybe call the pet sitter back and spend a weekend at one of Florida's beautiful beaches.

I also have family in California. WE will not be having Christmas with them this year. Stuff happens. Fingers crossed for a better situation next year or sooner.

Archived