SASS Wire Forum

Dillon pwdr measure

Yusta B.

Is it just me or does the Dillon small powder bar run noticeably more accurately with Clays than with TiteGroup or HP 38 ?

Edit (at about 2.7 to 3.5 gr or so)

I don't know about Clays but I get extremely good accuracy with Alliant Promo for my 357 shells in the small Dillon powder bar.

I use the small powder bar on my 550 with TiteGroup at 3.2 grains for my 38's. After 10 years have only needed to adjust with each new lot of powder. I check weight every hundred or so rounds (when I reload the primer magazine) have never had a measurable discrepancy. Got a 650 last year (2019) and using the small powder bar/TiteGroup combination I have loaded almost 10,000 rounds with the same level of accuracy.

YMMV

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I got very accurate drops of TiteGroup from my Dillon small charge bar (back when I used to run TG powder).  Now I run WST, and get perhaps even better accuracy on those drops (both around 4 grains). 

Clean the bar and the funnel/drop area with isopropyl alcohol to make sure nothing greasy or sticky has built up in the measure or the expander/drop tube area.  Make SURE you are getting full travel in both directions of the bar.   It's easy to get the linkage out of adjustment, to have the link holding screws loosen, or not have a little bit of light oil in the linkage mechanism, and all those can lead to partial throws, or jerky bar movement.

Good luck, GJ

14 hours ago, Yusta B. said:

Is it just me or does the Dillon small powder bar run noticeably more accurately with Clays than with TiteGroup or HP 38 ?

I'm running about 3.3 grains of Clays, they are very consistent out of my 650 set up for 38's. 

Assassin - Yes Clays works fine. I'm looking for an accuracy of charge weight comparing Clays to HP38 & TiteGroup.

I use a lot of different powders and some will run spot on for 1000's of rounds and some powders will have a .1gr-.2 gr difference at times.  It depends on the type powder how well it holds.

4 hours ago, Marshal TKD, Sass # 36984L said:

Judging by the replies it must be just you. ;)

I load with Trailboss and W231 for pistol. Never any appreciable difference in the metering.

You're most probably right.

20 hours ago, Yusta B. said:

Mine is very accurate with 3.0 Clays, never tried the others.

Randy

I load Clays, V V N320, and titegroup on a Dillon 550 and while I got good results

with the small powder bar I find, because of the small amounts of powder, I get

slightly better results/consistence with the extra small powder bar.

Marshal Stone

In my Sordid past . . I confess to having used those Heathen, Fad, Smokeless Propellants.  My "Go-To" propellant of choice was TightGroup.  Worked well in EVERYTHING.  Rand the "small" powder bar in both of my Dillon 650s with marvelous accuracy.  I only found it necessary to check the throw when I "got around to it."  44s.  45s,  38s,  357s,  Everything.

I have however, been enlightened.  I no longer utilize that Heathen, Fad, Smokeless stuff and with my newfound freedom, I only require the "Large" Powder Bar in my Dillons.

5 hours ago, Marshal Stone, SASS #53366 said:

I load Clays, V V N320, and titegroup on a Dillon 550 and while I got good results

with the small powder bar I find, because of the small amounts of powder, I get

slightly better results/consistence with the extra small powder bar.

Marshal Stone

Thanks - got one on order.

Archived