SASS Wire Forum

Anyone know the value of Vintage Dupont BP Containers ??

Silver Sam, SASS #34718L

Yep, Unopened & full of Original Dupont Superfine Black Powder.....

one FF and one FFF

Not looking to sell em,

I already have a couple of empty cans about the same Vintage and I know what they sell for... But these are unopened.

Anyone have any idea??

IMG_0026.thumb.jpg.01da8c44ff0a3a03e4cf1ccc9ceadeb5.jpgIMG_0027.thumb.jpg.c86225f059da9e4bbe4b9411290a5429.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

No Goody... You Obviously have the decimal in the wrong spot.

You just can't get anything rite can Ya :D

Nothing.  You should give 'em to me... I'll test out the powder and if it's ok, I'll give you back what's left!

Griff..... Thats what I'm debating with myself rite now..... I'm thinking about Shootin' It !!!!!

But not if it's worth a hundred bucks a can....... 

Goody....  A buck seventy five a hundred years ago would be about $22 today.....

Heck empty cans not as nice as these are selling for more than that.............

I question the dating (century old) due to the markings on the back (including metric measurements). Voluntary "metrication" began in 1975.

But pre-barcode products, so possibly from the '70s. The first UPC code was scanned in 1974. About 10 years later, 1/3 of grocery stores had scanners and all products carried the codes.

Unless you know of the provenance, I suspect they are some sort of commemorative packaging from about 40 or 50 years ago.

But they are cool!

JK thanks for the reply, but these are not commemorative or post 1975... these are the Real Deal.

I assume you're referring to the weight....   1 Lb or 454 Grams  ... That was because it's gunpowder.

And possibly Dupont being a French Company .... Maybe they couldn't calculate in lbs. :D

Well I don't know the value, but those are very cool!  I have one can of Dupont that Bunk Stagner gave me that is in the newer style can and I don't even want to open that one.  :)

Abilene,

I think Dupont switched from the oval can to the one with the squared off ends somewhere in the mid to late 50's 

Even those later cans are starting to be collected.... 

I'm not opening these until I find out if the powder increases the value.... But I sure would like to Shoot It !!!

30 minutes ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

JK thanks for the reply, but these are not commemorative or post 1975... these are the Real Deal.

I assume you're referring to the weight....   1 Lb or 454 Grams  ... That was because it's gunpowder.

And possibly Dupont being a French Company .... Maybe they couldn't calculate in lbs. :D

That could be. While I know some things about when technology and policy made certain things common, there was no earlier rule saying "English Units Only."

The lack of barcodes certainly qualifies as vintage ('70s or earlier), the metric units do make me question a designation of antique without documentation of contemporaneous examples.

If you find out there is no value difference between full or empty containers, I do bless shooting it off. As long as the rust on the caps did not get all the way through, it should still be good.

I got curious and did some google searching...

All of the tins in that shape with "that" label in general carry the July, 1924 date. I did not find 1925, or 1923, or June, or August. They all say July, 1924 on that tin. I do question the date.

As to value, from a casual quick check, I'm seeing empties going for about $40, some buy-it-now prices look to be double that. Did not find a price for a full container. But with CoViD, you might be thinking $5,000?

Seriously, as far as value, separate from empty or full, you might damage the rusted cap trying to open it and that would drop the value of the container a bit.

18 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

All of the tins in that shape with "that" label in general carry the July, 1924 date. I did not find 1925, or 1923, or June, or August. They all say July, 1924 on that tin. I do question the date.

It looks like that date is for the Trademark Registration.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Dupont-Gunpowder-In-Vintage-Hunting-Tins/71140/bn_7022090129  

https://thea.com/Tins-Vintage-Gunpowder/   

Add 30 bucks per can for the powder.  I’ve shot many cans of DuPont made in the 50’s ... good powder and have about a dozen cans yet to be used

4 hours ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

E.I. DuPont is a decidedly AMERICAN Company... founded in 1802, in Wilmington, DE.  Yes, it's founder was a French-American, but the company was founded here.  See: https://www.sciencehistory.org/historical-profile/eleuthere-irenee-du-pont

My favorite powder.  I shoot the powder from every can I can find.  Don't know the value but to me,  my like of the powder out ways the value of the powder.  Then keep or sale the empty can.

1 hour ago, Seven Mile Tom said:

I bought a similar can with powder a couple of years ago for $75. Not sure if that was a good price. 

Did you Shoot it or Save it?

Empty can prices are all over the place.... I haven't found any full cans for sale.

But my GUESS is that $75 is probably about right for an unopened can in good condition.

I plan to keep the cans, but I'd like to shoot the powder.....

I just don't want to shoot it up and then find out I burned up a few Hundred Bucks ... or more :o ??

8 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

I have several of the mid 60's Dupont BP cans, I bought them full and shot the powder. I used to have a source that would sell me a couple cans a year, but haven't seen him for several years.

kR

PS I moved

Kid,

Are your mid 60's cans the ones with squared off sides,

Like the Goex cans were before they went to plastic?

Not a French company.

E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company, commonly referred to as DuPont (/djˈpɒnt/),[2] was an American company that was founded in July 1802 in Wilmington, Delaware, as a gunpowder mill by French-American chemist and industrialist Éleuthère Irénée du Pont de Nemours.

Well.... Turns out they Are more valuable Unopened...... Just how much is still unknown.

It turns out that Wards Auctions is here in Dallas, they specialize in "Sporting Collectibles"... https://www.shopwardsauctions.com/

I called them they suggested that I not shoot it until they get a chance to see it and give me an auction estimate.

So since they're so close I'm going to tote the two cans down there for an "Inspection" .........

I'll post what they have to say!!!

Thanks

Seems like some people are more interested in if Dupont was a French or American Company.........

In the beginning they were a French Company doing Business in America......

They were started in Paris France in 1801 and bought a Gunpowder Plant in Wilmington Delaware the same year.

Check it out...... https://www.hagley.org/research/digital-exhibits/company-chronology-1801-1834

Anywho...... I was only interested in if the Powder in the two cans I have increase the value enough to keep me from shooting it.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Archived