SASS Wire Forum

Culinary Delights

Subdeacon Joe

EDIT:  That was weird.  When I highlighted it, all the text showed up.  Take 2 on this.

https://www.loc.gov/item/96126967/

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/12815

image.thumb.png.3d951b44c98353f5f4765226d493e4bd.png

To alamode a round of Beef.

To a 14 or 16 pound round of beef, put one once salt-petre, 48 hours after stuff it with the following: one and half pound of beef, one pound salt pork, two pound grated bread, chop all fine and rub in half pound butter, salt, pepper and cayenne, summer savory, thyme; lay it on scewers in a large pot, over three pints hot water (which it must occasionally be supplied with,) the steam of which in 4 or 5 hours will render the round tender if over a moderate fire; when tender, take away the gravy and thicken with flour and butter, and boil, brown the round with butter and flour, adding ketchup and wine to your taste.

To alamode a round.

Take fat pork cut in slices or mince, season it with pepper, salt sweet marjoram and thyme, cloves, mace and nutmeg, make holes in the beef and stuff it the night before cooked; put some bones across the bottom of the pot to keep from burning, put in one quart Claret wine, one quart water and one onion; lay the round on the bones, cover close and stop it round the top with dough; hang on in the morning and stew gently two hours; when done tender, grate a crust of bread on the top and brown it before the fire; scum the gravy and serve in a butter boat, serve it with the residue of the gravy in the dish.

Just now, Alpo said:

Pie alamode is pie with ice cream on it. Logic says that your beef ala mode recipe should also include ice cream.

Nope. When applied to beef a la mode means stewed or braised with wine and/or herbs. 

A la mode doesn't just mean "with ice cream." 

à la mode

adjective
\ ˌä-lə-ˈmōd  , ˌa-lə- \
variants:  or less commonly a la mode

Definition of à la mode

2: topped with ice cream

Merriam-Webster

Actually, a la mode means "according to the fashion", and can be applied to any number of dishes (as well as to clothing, furniture and other items).  In common usage, pie a la mode is served with ice cream, but that is simply the current fashion.  "A la mode" does not translate to "with ice cream".

LL

From "The Lion In Winter:"

Eleanor:  I don't much care. In fact, I wonder, Henry, if I care for anything. I wonder if I'm hungry out of habit and if all my lusts, like passions in a poem, aren't really recollections.   They remain seated.
Henry:  I could listen to you lie for hours. So your lust is rusty. Gorgeous, gorgeous.    
Eleanor:  I'm so tired, Henry.    
Henry:  Sleep, then. Sleep and dream of me with croutons. Henri a la mode de Caen.    
Eleanor:  Henry, stop it.    
Henry:  Eleanor, I haven't started.

4 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Nope. When applied to beef a la mode means stewed or braised with wine and/or herbs. 

Ala mode doesn't just mean "with ice cream." 

Say it ain't so, Joe

Anyone else remember the original Japanese Iron Chef? Saw one of their champions make trout ice cream once....

Archived