SASS Wire Forum

Passport question

Alpo

As I understand it, if I were to get on a airry-plane and fly to England, they stamp my passport as having left the US. Then when I get to England they stamp it again as having entered England. and when I go home they stamp it as having left England and then they stamp it as having entered the US.

When I am entering the US, do they look through the other stamps to make sure that I actually have an exit stamp from England?

I've traveled mostly to the Caribbean and Mexico, but in my experience they don't stamp them anymore......usually. If you want it stamped you usually have to ask and maybe stop another place. It's all computerized now. They swipe it like a credit card.

JHC

1 minute ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I've traveled mostly to the Caribbean and Mexico, but in my experience they don't stamp them anymore......usually. If you want it stamped you usually have to ask and maybe stop another place. It's all computerized now. They swipe it like a credit card.

JHC

Yep. But they will stamp it...

I had a German fellow get all p***y with me because he “would have to go in  the back and find the stamp.” I said “I’ll wait!”  Was gonna let it slide with just the electronic check but I found that I enjoy tweaking German’s noses so I insisted. 

The story I am reading (y'all knew this question came from a book, right?) is taking place a year or so before Katrina. That would be 04, wouldn't it?

Some people are leaving Uruguay. They get on a private jet and they fly north. No passport / customs involved. Then they land in Texas. Go through customs. Get their passport stamped. But, since they did not get them stamped when leaving, I wondered if that would cause a problem.

2 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

They don't stamp exiting only entering. As the posts are saying they scan them now and don't stamp them.....in most modern countires.

Right. Nobody cares if you leave. Except N. Korea.

40 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Right. Nobody cares if you leave. Except N. Korea.

And California.  

Wall Street Journal article this morning about a proposed wealth tax in CA - applies to everyone present in the state for at least 60 days in a year with assets of $30 Million or more (excluding personally held real estate).  Aimed primarily at persons of high individual net worth, estimated to be the top 30,000 wealthiest residents..  And it keeps on giving, with the tax being assessed for every year after you leave for up to 10 years.  The pro athletes, movie stars, TV personalities and tech magnates will love this......

We used to laugh at crazy California, and put posters on our dorm walls showing the country tilted toward the West coast, and all of the odd balls and nuts rolling down toward the Pacific.  Not so funny now.  And neither is the likelihood that several other states will follow suit if this works.

LL

3 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

And California.  

Wall Street Journal article this morning about a proposed wealth tax in CA - applies to everyone present in the state for at least 60 days in a year with assets of $30 Million or more (excluding personally held real estate).  Aimed primarily at persons of high individual net worth, estimated to be the top 30,000 wealthiest residents..  And it keeps on giving, with the tax being assessed for every year after you leave for up to 10 years.  The pro athletes, movie stars, TV personalities and tech magnates will love this......

We used to laugh at crazy California, and put posters on our dorm walls showing the country tilted toward the West coast, and all of the odd balls and nuts rolling down toward the Pacific.  Not so funny now.  And neither is the likelihood that several other states will follow suit if this works.

LL

But they are no longer residents, they moved to Nevada and Florida and a few other states when California raised income taxes on the wealthiest residents. Those residents then realized they could essentially get a very nice house for free by moving to another state.

Now California wants to "hold on to them" by creating this 60 day rule to tax them, but since they are no longer residents because they moved, they are looking at it as taxation without representation because they no longer vote there... because they no longer live there. Even if there job has them there more than 60 days each year.

Some Do .

Some don't !!!

So far I have traveled to over 45 different Countries ... Including 4 East African Nations ...

Jabez Cowboy 

"...Now California wants to "hold on to them" by creating this 60 day rule to tax them, but since they are no longer residents because they moved, they are looking at it as taxation without representation because they no longer vote there... because they no longer live there. Even if there job has them there more than 60 days each year..." 

ok , when did the us  become the soviet union ? they gonna start shooting those that escape the "wall" like in berlin ? 

lets shoot back - just for fun 

12 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

But they are no longer residents, they moved to Nevada and Florida and a few other states when California raised income taxes on the wealthiest residents. Those residents then realized they could essentially get a very nice house for free by moving to another state.

Now California wants to "hold on to them" by creating this 60 day rule to tax them, but since they are no longer residents because they moved, they are looking at it as taxation without representation because they no longer vote there... because they no longer live there. Even if there job has them there more than 60 days each year.

Taxing non-residents’ income is not unusual.  

I live in Tennessee which has no state income tax.  In 2015/16 I spent nine months living in New York while teaching at West Point. New York has a method for calculating income tax owed by “non-resident workers”.  It cost me a fortune that year.

My sister is an accountant for a major pro sports team. She said most cities with pro franchises have laws which tax the visiting teams’ players for the games that are played in their cities.

11 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Some Do .

Some don't !!!

So far I have traveled to over 45 different Countries ... Including 4 East African Nations ...

Jabez Cowboy 

Well then Jabez it's about time you came down-under...all stamping in this neck of the woods is done on the butt !!

Painted Mohawk;

I / We the boss and I would like nothing better than to see the "Land Down Under"

We have a friend that has retired from your Justice Dept. Anti-Terrorist dept. , and she needs a visit ...

And you and I are long over due to meet ... Either on my Range or Yours ...

Jabez Cowboy

Archived