SASS Wire Forum

Selling Pistol Reloading Stuff on eBay; Crazy Prices

I've been downsizing a bunch of safe queen stuff, primarily guns that I sell locally. Other stuff like watches I've been selling on eBay. For some reason watches just get snapped up at outlandish prices. As an example, had a hardly-used mechanical Seiko that I paid $46 for about four years ago sell for $82 + shipping. That said, I recently posted a set of used .40/10mm dies (mixed Lee's and Dillon) that are up to $53 and the auction ends later today, which means the bids should go even higher.

Seems like new pistol reloading stuff has dried up and folks are getting desperate. Suggest that if you have any extra stuff just sitting around, sell it on eBay or Gunbroker or other auction sites.

Have also noticed that the USPS delivery service for anything that's not in a tracked priority mail package gets stuck in the system at their distribution centers. Mailed a lens in a tracked conventual package on Nov. 30 and it's stuck in a distribution center in NC. Also had a check for a dividend mailed from Richmond, VA on Nov. 16; have not received it. I've quit posting stuff until 2021 arrives.

Free Market 101 in combination with Price Gouging 101.

The amusing part:  when the scalper gets stuck with merchandise he bought, but cannot resell.
Here in CA, the local big box store is selling 22LR for $0.30 per round.
No thanks.

26 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Free Market 101 in combination with Price Gouging 101.

The amusing part:  when the scalper gets stuck with merchandise he bought, but cannot resell.
Here in CA, the local big box store is selling 22LR for $0.30 per round.
No thanks.

Big gun store here is selling Thunderbolt for 16 cents per round. At least we don't need to pay for a background check to buy it.

We did have to buy a box as we rent a gun to some students. Bumped the rental fee some to cover the increased ammo price, but still cheaper for them to shoot our .22 than their own 9mm.

And while I agree an auction comes under free market pricing, that is not true if a small number of folks intercept product before it hits retail shelves just so they can flip it at auction. Doing that is price gouging. That is what Enron did some years ago.

Bought a box of Herters .22 lr, 500 rounds, for $24.99 ten days ago at Bass Pro. That's 5 cents per round. Limit one box per customer, though.

When they have ammo, they sell it at their standard retail prices; a practice that I think highly of.

On 12/19/2020 at 2:14 AM, Church Key, SASS # 33713 said:

I've been downsizing a bunch of safe queen stuff, primarily guns that I sell locally. Other stuff like watches I've been selling on eBay. For some reason watches just get snapped up at outlandish prices. As an example, had a hardly-used mechanical Seiko that I paid $46 for about four years ago sell for $82 + shipping. That said, I recently posted a set of used .40/10mm dies (mixed Lee's and Dillon) that are up to $53 and the auction ends later today, which means the bids should go even higher.

Seems like new pistol reloading stuff has dried up and folks are getting desperate. Suggest that if you have any extra stuff just sitting around, sell it on eBay or Gunbroker or other auction sites.

Have also noticed that the USPS delivery service for anything that's not in a tracked priority mail package gets stuck in the system at their distribution centers. Mailed a lens in a tracked conventual package on Nov. 30 and it's stuck in a distribution center in NC. Also had a check for a dividend mailed from Richmond, VA on Nov. 16; have not received it. I've quit posting stuff until 2021 arrives.

What did you end up getting for the set of used .40/10mm dies? And have you ever tried selling anything on an online penny auction to see if you can get more? I know sites like DealDash, for example, have gotten somewhat of a bad rap in the past but their recent reviews on SiteJabber look pretty promising. Thoughts?

last 22 ammo i bought was $20 /1000 brick , i tried to buy one whenever the opportunity and circumstances seemed right , was a bit taken aback as the one before that was $10 /1000 brick , there was only about 10 years between those buys and the last one was about a year ago , i think ill hold off on buying anymore till things settle down , would love to find some shorts just to increase the stock a bit - i have a number of 22 short only rifles and handguns , but ill not be out chasing them down at current prices , 

Archived