SASS Wire Forum

Thinking about buying a stoeger from long hunter....

Dirty Dutch Brody

So I have been trying to do some research on the stoeger coach sxs and I found long hunters website. I'm liking the stainless / blue two tone in pictures. So I figured i would ask if anyone has any of his guns, specifically the stoegers? And what there opinions are? Kinda liked the look of the nickel as well. So any input would be appreciated.

No Stoegers for me, but I do have a CZ Hammered from him, he does excellent work.

IF I were going to buy a Stoeger though I'd make sure to get it from a reputable Smith like Longhunter. 

I like the cz as well but is it worth the additional 500.00$$ Still pretty new to this and I have spent good money on the other guns and I am very happy with them. The scatter gun is the last to upgrade so want to do it right but an additional 500.00 on the cz......If is worth it?

Dutch,

The Stoeger Supreme was my first cowboy shotgun.I still have it.Bought it new from Longhunter Supply,already slicked up and ready to go.I had a minor glitch with it and sent it back to Longhunter's.They repaired it and sent it back very promptly.Great service.The only other problem was a mushroomed firing pin ( very common in these guns).It's  had many rounds through it and stll functions well.I think it is a good starter shotgun,especially if  price is a consideration. You'll probably "outgrow "it,but you'll most likely get most of your money back on the used market.

Choctaw

I got a CZ from Longhunter earlier this year, I have had a Stoeger for 15 years. The CZ is twice the gun and twice the price. Availability may be an issue.

I got lucky a couple of  months ago when I was getting outfitted and called longhunter about a stoeger.  He didn't have one and didn't know when any would be available but he had a shipment of CZ sharptails coming in with one that wasn't spoken for.  I jumped on it and couldn't be happier.  Compared to the stoegers I have handled it's a much finer finished gun.  Yes it was almost twice the money but I felt like it was money well spent.

The cost of the CZ is worth it in the quality of the gun.

The CZ is a life long gun, the Stoeger is a short time gun.

Many Stoegers can last a long time, but I've had so many new Stoeger guns come through the shop with 6 to 12 months use.

Johnny Meadows

39 minutes ago, Johnny Meadows,SASS#28485L said:

Many Stoegers can last a long time, but I've had so many new Stoeger guns come through the shop with 6 to 12 months use.

Johnny Meadows

short time gun is true

the rib blew off mine after 2 years of  light loads 

Not a shotgun review, but Longhunter's work on a '66 carbine I purchased from them about 3 years ago is superb.

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy any gun from Longhunter’s.  With just about everything you get what you pay for.  Stoeger is a good gun (that’s what I use) but I’ve had a CZ hammered and the fit and finish were nicer on the CZ compared to the Stoeger.

I've been shooting Stoegers for 20 years and never had a problem. I have two of them right now. I shoot generally 3-4 matches a month 7-8 months of the year!

11 hours ago, Dirty Dutch Brody said:

I like the cz as well but is it worth the additional 500.00$$ Still pretty new to this and I have spent good money on the other guns and I am very happy with them. The scatter gun is the last to upgrade so want to do it right but an additional 500.00 on the cz......If is worth it?

I own several Stoegers.  They're decent, entry level CAS shotguns.  I recently bought a CZ that was worked on by Longhunters.  It is a better shotgun.  CZs have chrome-lined barrels that make clean-up after shooting black powder with plastic wads quite easy.  Cleaning unlined barrels is more work (but not excessively so).  Borrow a CZ at a match and give it a try.  That will tell you whether it is worth another $500.

11 hours ago, Dirty Dutch Brody said:

So I have been trying to do some research on the stoeger coach sxs and I found long hunters website. I'm liking the stainless / blue two tone in pictures. So I figured i would ask if anyone has any of his guns, specifically the stoegers? And what there opinions are? Kinda liked the look of the nickel as well. So any input would be appreciated.

I have a Long Hunter Stoeger and never had a problem in five years and over 500 rounds.

You're in Lassiter's neck of the woods, he does a great job on the Charles Daly shotguns and usually has some in stock. I've had one for 6 months now and couldn't be happier. Google Tom's Single Action Shop in New Lebanon. He doesn't have a website or do email, when you call you'll probably have to leave a message but he will call you back.

8 hours ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

Don't overlook the Charles Daly's.

Think Boomstick Arms got some in the other day.

At the last Comin’ at Cha Boomstick had a SxS, I’m not sure of the brand, maybe a Daly, but it was the lightest SG I’ve ever held.  I don’t know anyone using it, or how it shoots but it was a coach gun (if I remember right).

19 hours ago, Dirty Dutch Brody said:

Price is not a major consideration if it is worth it. I guess that's what I'm asking. Is the CZ that much better then the Stoeger?

9 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

I own several Stoegers.  They're decent, entry level CAS shotguns. 

Borrow a CZ at a match and give it a try.  That will tell you whether it is worth another $500.

Same question can be asked of SKBs, but a better question is: Are you better than a Stoeger?

Agree with trying other guns. Doing so will help you learn what the differences are when shooting, and if they actually make a difference to your times. Keep in mind when you borrow a gun, you will also be provided ammo and light ammo does make a difference on the clock.

Yes, there are differences in the better guns. Some of it you will feel, some of it you will simply appreciate. But only you can decide if the extra price is worth it.

But if you borrow a Stoeger with light loads and you can feel the gun is almost as fast as you are (or that you are actually faster than the gun), then pay the extra.

Otherwise, put the $500 savings towards ammo knowing you now own your Stoeger backup gun, and pony up again when the Stoeger is holding you back.

And in disclosure, I did get a moderately slicked Stoeger. It is faster than I am. I do like the SKBs, and have not shot a CZ.

The SxS I had used before (none of these brands) sucked. It shot, it shot straight, I was accurate, but I was old-dog slow. I could have slicked it a bit myself so I did not have to pry it open over my knee, I could deal with the grit in the triggers, I didn't always have to pluck out the spent shells as it would sometimes shuck the empties (could polish the chambers), and focusing on what I was doing did make it possible to shove in two shells without too much fumbling (not chamfered entry, and the unfixable barely open breech).

So I now have a gun faster than I am and my next challenge is loading my own shells. Then practice practice practice. Then I'll probably hit the wall and and need a different gun to pick up another blink of an eye per shot (maybe 2 seconds per match?).

When I was a young pup of a shooter about 10 years ago I heard the saying 

"Buy once. Cry once."

I've cried only when I've sold.

Ok, I whimpered a bit when I've bought.

Waimea

44 minutes ago, Waimea said:

When I was a young pup of a shooter about 10 years ago I heard the saying 

"Buy once. Cry once."

I've cried only when I've sold.

Ok, I whimpered a bit when I've bought.

Waimea

A bit? 

My problem is I did the whole "buy once, cry once" thing several times, because I've always been too stubborn to try out other folks guns.

On 12/19/2020 at 7:30 AM, Johnny Meadows,SASS#28485L said:

Johnny Meadows

From my perspective this is what makes purchasing a higher quality gun worth it.  It's less about speed, though there is a speed difference, it's about durability and reliability.  You get what you pay for.

Back when I started in 2011 I dropped a fair amount of money on a rifle and pistols.  Ten years later and that rifle and those pistols are still going strong and have never broken or had malfunctions. A bit later I purchased an SKB to replace the Stoeger I started out with.  I probably have 8 years worth of matches on that SKB and I've had exactly one broken spring in 8 years.  So 4 guns, probably 60,000 plus rounds of 38 special and maybe 13,000 rounds of 12 gauge and one equipment failure, in ten years.

I've made plenty of mistakes, but my equipment is rock solid.  That's what you pay the extra for.

24 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

A bit? 

My problem is I did the whole "buy once, cry once" thing several times, because I've always been too stubborn to try out other folks guns.

I have heard it said that I am so "thrifty" I make the buffalo on the nickel cry.:lol:

I guess he does my cryin' for me.

I started with a Stoeger, still have it but about 8 to 10 years ago bought a SKB and have never looked back. I have two 73’s and a pair of Vaqueros done by Longhunter. Excellent work. 

On 12/19/2020 at 8:54 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I've been shooting Stoegers for 20 years and never had a problem. I have two of them right now. I shoot generally 3-4 matches a month 7-8 months of the year!

20 years  & still can't hit anything with it !  1f601.png

But seriously Rye, hope you have a fantastic Holiday Season !!

Yusta

On 12/19/2020 at 8:54 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I love my Stoegers, been using the same 2 since I started this game 7 years ago, the only thing I have changed or worked on is changing the firing pins, great shotguns as far as I’m concerned!  SCJ

I started with a Stoeger, and it worked well for the first year or so.  Upgraded to an SKB and felt it was worth it.  I think the Stoeger is a good starter gun. Even with a CZ, you'll eventually be lured by the siren song of the SKB. 

On 12/18/2020 at 10:59 PM, Dirty Dutch Brody said:

Long Hunter - Yes.  Stoeger - No.

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 5:51 PM, John Kloehr said:

And in disclosure, I did get a moderately slicked Stoeger. It is faster than I am. I do like the SKBs, and have not shot a CZ.

The SxS I had used before (none of these brands) sucked. It shot, it shot straight, I was accurate, but I was old-dog slow. I could have slicked it a bit myself so I did not have to pry it open over my knee, I could deal with the grit in the triggers, I didn't always have to pluck out the spent shells as it would sometimes shuck the empties (could polish the chambers), and focusing on what I was doing did make it possible to shove in two shells without too much fumbling (not chamfered entry, and the unfixable barely open breech).

So I now have a gun faster than I am and my next challenge is loading my own shells. Then practice practice practice. Then I'll probably hit the wall and and need a different gun to pick up another blink of an eye per shot (maybe 2 seconds per match?).

Sometimes it is not just that the new shotgun is faster than you, but a nice high quality firearm of any manufacture is much more of a pleasure to shoot than one that fights you at every turn. Especially if you have to work on repairs before the next match, or the wondering if it will perform the next time you really need it. I have both won and lost matches (including multi day matches) by tenths of a second so a 2 second difference really is huge.

I am certainly not the fastest with a SxS but I can hold my own. Could probably have done that back when I used Stoegers. BUT I have been using my SKB's from Johnnie Meadows for nearly 10 years and I have had exactly one failure (a broken spring during practice), where as my Stoegers were my go to shotguns for the first 4 years and were being replaced every other year (or less). They had broken lugs (3), delaminated ribs (2) broken forearms (2), a broken stock (1) and a separation of the barrels near the muzzle. Admittedly I am hard on my guns but.... that seems a little excessive given my SKB's have had none of those issues.

BTW when I used to practice a single session would be at least a flat (250) of shells twice a month or more. Now I have really backed off (and slowed down :( ) to about 100 rounds twice a month.

as always

YMMV

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Archived