SASS Wire Forum

Best Lever Gun for Frontiersman/FC.

El CupAJoe

Take a look into annealing your 38’s.  I asked a few questions from the Soot Lord masters here in the wire and gave it a shot.  I run 38 special at >1.4” OAL to work in “MY” 73’s. 125gr or 158gr TCFP will work fine.  I use Mo Bullet #2.  A heavy crimp and annealed brass will work just fine in your rifle w/ minimal blowback.  Keep looking for APP, it will show up.

On 12/18/2020 at 6:13 PM, Clueless Bob said:

By far, the "Easiest" to clean, Marlin.  One bolt, lever comes out, bolt slides to the rear.  Start cleaning.  

I'm using a rounded 1.0cc scoop of 3F black below a 135gr bullet.  If there was a way to remove the lifter in my 73 without taking it completely apart, I wouldn't have to clean the parts under the side plates.  They stay that clean.  The lifter is another story but blow by has never been so bad that it affected operation during a match.

How to remove the carrier without disassembly. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7OVeAkgxiY

20 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Skip the Pyrodex. Contact @Scarlett and order a case of Shooters World BP sub. or buy the real thing. 

I've been reloading since 2012, I've not been a competition shooter, but I can only think of one time so far that I came to the bottom of a 1 lb powder bottle.  at my current and forecasted rate of consumption, 2 matches a year plus plinking, a lb should get me by for a couple years if I don't throw it in my shotgun.  

• 1 month later...

I take some exception to all the "Bother" about simplicity of cleaning the Toggle Link rifles.  If one is shooting those funny Dash calibers, like 44-40, 38-40, or 32-20 and if one is annealing one's 45 Colt or 44 Special/Russian, you're only opening the action up once or twice a season.  Cleaning after a match is simply running a wet patch thru the bore and chamber.  Wipe down with oily rag and done.  An 1866 is nor more difficult to take down than an 1873.  When the Side Plates are properly fitted, a Henry is nor more difficult to take down than the 1873.

If one is determined to be more hysterical, the Henry and the 1866 are more better you betcha.

My vote goes to the Henry, with certain caveats, certainly my Henry without any mods could never keep up with my well tuned and smithed '73s.  My Henry is in 44-40 and has never fired a smokeless round in her life, she is a CC frame beauty and is always the one that gets an extra caress when I visit the safe BUT the same could be said about several of my BP pistols.  Opinions, we all got them and mine says that the Henry is without doubt on of the to two or threes prettiest designed rifles EVER and that gets extra points in my book any day.  It requires a little more thinking and a little more preparedness when you walk up to the line but if any one noticed what you had they will be wanting to watch!  Sadly, with me they will possibly see a train wreck but it is never the Henrys fault.  Just missed my chance at a beauty in .45 which I have been wanting for a long time but common since says I had to stop.

Archived