SASS Wire Forum

WTB - Single Six .32 H&R Magnum (one)

Ozark Okie

I have gotten a lot of good information, suggestions and advice from folks on this forum about my interest in lighter, easier to handle cowboy guns. Continuing to examine the alternatives, I still have a hankerin to try .32 caliber (32 20, .32 magnum or even .327) and making some progress with a .32 magnum rifle and one pistol. Hence this post. I need another pistol like the one shown here - Ruger Single Six, .32 H&R magnum, stainless, 4 5/8 barrel. I continue to be confused about single six grip frame sizes, so I have shown a picture of the one I have. Thanks for any information, PM or email welcome (gdrhodes70@gmail.com). 

Merry Christmas to all. I know we are all looking forward to more shooting next year!  

Ozark Okie

32 H&R Magnum Grip Ruger Single Six Stainless 4 five eights.jpg

32 H&R Magnum Ruger Single Six Stainless 4 five eights.jpg

Received dies that were backordered from Midway. Still looking for one pistol. 

Oldhorsetrader, thank you for the information.

I know that web site. It does have a lot of information about Ruger frame sizes. Unfortunately, it does not cover 2015, the last year 32 magnum single sixes were made. I have encountered both short grip and long grip .32s made that year. Seems like the only sure way to know is to measure them; at least that is the best I can come up with so far. 

Thanks again for the suggestion. I do appreciate it. 

Ozark Okie

OKIE,

Concerning the Ruger grip frame sizes for the .32 Single Six, you are correct in that Ruger produce 2 different size grips.

The shorter grips and grip frames were advertised as the Vaquerito.   I think I spelled it correctly.

Very few folks know of it by that name,  most just refer to it as the 'short grip'.  It is about 1/4" shorter in length than the

regular Single Six grip.

I like the shorter frame better and have actually taken my .45 Vaqueros and cut off about 1/4" from the very bottom, 

trimmed off the grip panels appropriately, and now have the shorter style grips on my .45's.

Good luck.   I think you will like the 'Vaquerito' size grip.

..........Widder

Hey Widder, I really appreciate you chiming in on the Ruger grip frame sizes.  Good to hear from someone with actual hands on experience. 

You are right about the short frame single six 32 magnum...marketed as as a Vaquerito as you see in the included picture.  I think sometimes they are referred to as Baby Vaqueros. Very interesting to get your perspective on the shorter grip.....you may start a new movement to shorten Vaquero frames and grips. People certainly respect your opinions and advice on lever rifles. (in fact, I'm working through your material on my 32 magnum rifle...and may want to consult with you and Warden on a relined barrel .357/.32 project I have and want to make a .327. I know from old posts that you have thought about making a .327.... for another post.).

Unfortunately, its hard to get a chance to actually hold and compare the shorter and longer Ruger grips. Feedback from those who actually have used both is helpful.  

Thank you again.

Ozark

Ruger 32 Vaquerito Brochure.jpg

Your grip frame is the full size Blackhawk/Vaquero grip.

Easy way to tell is the thickness of the bottom. 

Also you can measure the actual grip panel, full size is 3" from top to bottom(just measured mine).

Here is a picture of the short grip frame.

https://gunblast.com/images/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames/Dsc00072.jpg

It is easier to get grips for the larger frame.  That being said, any grip that fits a Ruger Blackhawk will fit the Baby Vaquero with about 1/4 inch overhang.  I like textured Rosewood grips, so I bought Blackhawk grips and sanded the overhang off.  They look fine.

Null N. (like that name),  thank you for the information about grips. I know that finding the right grip size is a little problematic and when I get to that point, I'll probably do as you did...buy the larger ones and cut them down to fit. I have been focused on getting pistols with the "full size" grips (vs the shorter ones), but maybe I should just go ahead and get what I can; I have heard from a number of folks who like the shorter grip. 

Thanks again, I do appreciate the feedback. 

Ozark Okie

I think the larger ones will fit that frame.  Per Howlin Mad Murdock, you have the larger grip.  However, if you buy the larger grips and it turns out the frame is the smaller frame, you can cut them down.

Good Luck!

NNV

• 2 weeks later...

Still looking for a single six 32 like the one in the picture....stainless, 4 5/8" barrel, fixed sights, long grip.

Covid vaccinations will be complete by end of January and I'm looking forward to shooting .32s. 

Thanks for all the good feedback I have gotten. 

Ozark Okie

Okie,

Look on page one......

it might be yours??

Hi #4.

Yes, the one on page 1 is my original want-to-buy.

I have a 32 mag rifle as you know. Need one more pistol like the one in the picture.

Do I remember correctly that you and your wife are shooting 32s....32 20s?

I plan to start back to shooting regularly in February and look forward to shooting 32s.  

Thanks, 

OO

I have a pair of 32's w/convertible  cylinders  but Model P's/

Ol'  #4

On 1/8/2021 at 3:01 PM, Ozark Okie said:

Still looking for a single six 32 like the one in the picture....stainless, 4 5/8" barrel, fixed sights, long grip.

Covid vaccinations will be complete by end of January and I'm looking forward to shooting .32s. 

Thanks for all the good feedback I have gotten. 

Ozark Okie

OO, we spoke before about the .32s.  Glad you finally found two.  On all the info on grip frames: If you have a short one, just buy the longer grip panels, and cut a hardwood spacer to fill the overhang, glue it to ONE grip panel and presto, long grip frame.  Oh yeah, you will have to  relocate the positioning hole for the pin.  This works, as I did it for a pard that couldn't find the longer framed ones.  (Also before I decided to sell mine)  I stress using hardwood, as it won't get soft with sweat.

Al, you know what they say about great minds thinking alike...it took me awhile, but i got there.      

Last night I was  looking at the short and long grips.  Interestingly enough, both sized grips fit both guns, even the locator pins were OK.

Of course when the short grip was on the long frame, a lot of metal showed below the grip...

and when the long grip was on the short frame, the grip overhung....and that's when I saw exactly what you have described. 

I put both long grips on the short frame and sure enough, it felt just like the longer one.

So, that's it....add the hardwood spacer and use the longer grips on the short frame. Great!

Now looking for a pair of XR3 (long) grips.

Thank you very much for passing along your experience; good to have confirmation from someone who has actually done it.  

OO

Archived