SASS Wire Forum

Ride on ahead.....Cap Roundtree

Rico Kid

On September 20, 2020 the Northern California SASS family lost one of our founding members in the passing of Cap Roundtree, aka Michael Gardner. Cap Roundtree was one of the five founding members of the Mad River Rangers of Blue Lake California where we put on eleven annual SASS shoots. It was during those annuals that Cap met so many wonderful folks that eventually became part of his extended family. I am part of that extended family.

Cap was one of those guys that was hard to miss. He was a classic cowboy from the beginning, choosing to shoot original Winchesters that he had resurrected himself. From his huge mustache to his incredible laugh, he was a man to ride the river with.

He was quick to make you a friend, would have your back when you needed it and wouldn’t suffer fools. Opinionated, honest, hard working, he loved shooting, single actions, his 1887 shotgun; but nothing more than his family.

The world lost a one-of-kind. I’ll miss you brother.

Cap was a great man and an even better friend. He will be sorrily missed.

I had the great pleasure of writing  up his fiftieth birthday party and had it published in the Cowboy Chronicle.

Below is the copy from 11/ 2005- and yes I still have the picture!!!

Have you ever seen a cowboy in a tutu?  No really, it’s a serious question.  I’ll bet you are going to tell me you haven’t, well then would you like to?  We went to a surprise birthday party for our good friend Cap Roundtree #6056L, TG and one of the founders of the Mad River Rangers, the club that we shoot with when we are in Eureka, CA. If you have never met or shot with our old friend, he is a great person and truly believes in the cowboy way. He is a BCVC member and belongs to other groups such as the Free Grazers and the Darrell’s. Cap has been shooting as long as I have and we met at the first Plainfield Raid. We were shooting on the same posse. He’s one of those guys who was shooting Classic Cowboy long before it became a category. I know this is one of the reasons we hit it off so well. We were both wearing our normal chaps, spurs, scarf, vest, tall boots; I think you get the idea! I lit one of those big fat cigars that I like from time to time, he commented on how good it smelled. All I could think of was that’s not what my wife, BeeBad #25307and our son, Woody keep telling me. I asked Cap if he would like one and he became a friend to be proud of from then on.

We were sitting around the Guns of the Timberland, the Mad River Rangers annual shoot and Cap said he was turning fifty in October. BeeBad asked him if he was having a party, he rolled his eyes and said no. He had a DISAGREEMENT with his wife about his participation in planning and execution of a party. He said it was his party and didn’t think he should have to help her.  I can’t write her response to him here on paper without blushing, I think you get the idea, no party for Cap!!! His wife Susan (Scoop) Roundtree emailed me the next week and asked us to help her with a surprise party for him. The plan was to meet them at a local restaurant for dinner. BeeBad and I arrived about an hour before Cap and family were due to appear. Fifteen cowboys from the local club showed up in their cowboy finest along with a half a dozen of Caps friends from Garberville. Will Bonner#6644 and his lovely wife Lou came from Ukiah and Sand Dab Sam#9632, Midnight Lady#9633 and there son Kid Rosa#22668 made the journey all the way from Santa Rosa. When Cap and family arrived we exchanged greetings and headed for the back of the building. BeeBad pushed him through the door and into the faces of his friends and family, he was truly surprised.

We had drinks and dinner, and then it was time for gifts. Sand Dab had said his gift had to be first, with a wink. Well, the first gift was made by Midnight lady, a pink tutu. Cap, with some help put it on and wore it for the rest of the evening. The camera flashes were going off all over the room!!!!

About that time we had a knock at the door of the banquet room it was our local lawman, Russian River Ranger#57920. He was on duty and in uniform. Someone said hey BeeBad they got Cap a stripper!!!! That got a good laugh from the room. The rest of the gifts were quite tame mostly tequila, rubber band guns and such.

It was an evening to remember and if you want to see a great picture of a fifty year old cowboy in a tutu, I‘ll sent you a copy. I have to warn you though IT AIN’T PRETTY!!!!!!

Jasper Agate #11697

• 2 months later...

Archived