SASS Wire Forum

Cattleman 10mm

Black RZR

Uberti cattleman 10mm 

Ok 2 questions. 

Can you shoot 40 s&w out of this gun? By number spec's of these two rounds, they are same. 10 is longer. So my logic is like shooting 45 cowboy specials out of 45 Colt pistol. Or 38 from 357. 

2nd question: is there a single action revolver that I can change cylinder to shoot 9mm? 

And yes I know I couldn't shoot it cowboy cause of vented barrel. Which is wrong, if we can shoot ruger blackhawks. That's another topic

No.  You would need a separate cylinder, because those rounds headspace on the case mouth, so the .40 would slide forward in the 10mm cylinder.  Ruger made a dual cylinder 10mm/.40 cal dual cylinder gun, and also I believe a .357/9mm dual cylinder gun. 

24 minutes ago, Black RZR said:

2nd question: is there a single action revolver that I can change cylinder to shoot 9mm? 

As far as cylinder swapping something like a .38 or a .357 to use 9mm in, I would think it would not work very well.   .38 Short Colt/Long Colt/Special/.357 magnum all use a .357-.358" bullet.  9mm uses a .355" bullet.  I don't know if you'd get decent accuracy through the oversized bore.

The .40 S&W was developed to mimic 10mm FBI low-powered rounds.  The FBI started using 10mm after a famous shootout in the 1980s when .38 Specials failed to stop the bad guys before they killed some officers.

You can download the 10mm, much like we do with .44 Mag, .45 Colt and other potent rounds.

Uberti made a run of Cattlemen with Cylinders for .38 WCF. and the second in .40 Short & Weak ( S&W )...

A Pard has a pair the .40 S&W cylinder has been used maybe 5 times, he uses the .38 WCF cylinder all the time ...

But he has a good supply of Hollowpoint ammo in .40 S&W in case things go real bad ...

Jabez Cowboy

6 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Uberti made a run of Cattlemen with Cylinders for .38 WCF. and the second in .40 Short & Weak ( S&W )...

A Pard has a pair the .40 S&W cylinder has been used maybe 5 times, he uses the .38 WCF cylinder all the time ...

But he has a good supply of Hollowpoint ammo in .40 S&W in case things go real bad ...

Jabez Cowboy

I'd like to locate a Uberti 40 S&W cylinder to go in my Old Model-P 38WCF.   Maybe because 40S&W brass is so available at our local range.  And it's another case that would be very powder efficient.  

Warden Callaway ;

Get a spare .357 mag. cylinder it is an easy job to have it bored out and Chambered  to .40 S&W ..

That way you can control the cylinder mouth diameter to best advantage ...

All the best .

Jabez Cowboy 

39 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Warden Callaway ;

Get a spare .357 mag. cylinder it is an easy job to have it bored out and Chambered  to .40 S&W ..

That way you can control the cylinder mouth diameter to best advantage ...

All the best .

Jabez Cowboy 

Or a 9mm cylinder

I suggested the .357 Mag cylinder because of the " Heat Treatment" given all Mag. Cylinders ...  And because there are ton's of them out there ...

Jabez Cowboy

On 12/19/2020 at 12:15 AM, Nate Kiowa Jones #6765 said:

More like a 38-40. Ballisticly almost identical. 

Yeah, but .38-40 is a bottlenecked cartridge.   It's physically very different from .41 Short Colt, which I figured would very close dimension wise to .40 Smith and wesson,

I have a pair of the Ruger Blackhawk,s in 10mm/40S&W 

Have not been able to shoot them much due to the shortages in ammo & primers,

I do like the 10mm and have several

I have a pair of FACTORY old model Vaqueros (still in their boxes) that are chambered in straight .40S&W.  They were a special run of several hundred back in about 2000.  I was told there would not be anymore after that run but obviously there are a few still floating around.  

Yes the Ruger Blackhawk is avail 357/9mm with 2 different cyl's. The are singe action and usable in most categories. I have 2 of them. 1 I have never used the 9mm cyl, the other is actually more accurate with the 9mm cyl. 

52 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Hmmm, would a 9mm full of FFFg make the smoke standard?  

Depends who's making the call. A .40 S&W case will barely hold the requisite 1cc of BP with a bullet seated. A 9mm will not.

Archived