SASS Wire Forum

Taking care of you boots

Snake-eye, SASS#45097

With the end of the cowboy shooting season, short as it was, and the cold weather setting in, I decided to treat by cowboy boots to a good cleaning and conditioning. I’ve been using Lexol leather conditioner and it seems like a good product. The question for the leather product makers is there any thing else  that’s recommended, better. I understand that pure neatsfoot oil is also useful. 

4 hours ago, Snake-eye, SASS#45097 said:

I’ve been using Lexol leather conditioner and it seems like a good product. The question for the leather product makers is there any thing else  that’s recommended, better.

Nope

A lot of folks over-think leather care.  As long as it’s real leather clean with saddle soap and water, then moisturize.  I wouldn’t use Neet’s Foot as it could change the color of the leather.  Lexol is good, nothing wrong with it, you can also try this Mink Oil  not expensive and it’s good for the leather.

Armor-all makes some dispensable leather wipes that work well for occasional wipe down. Find em in the Auto section.

Saddle soap to clean then Montana Pitch blend. Mink oil and pine pitch. Gives a bit of water resistance. It’s what I treated my boots with prior to WR 2018 and my feet stayed dry. 

Another good product is the Skidmores line. 

E690DF0E-684C-4C36-A2FF-437F727AAE98.jpeg

Kiwi polish and buff. 

Soap and water is good for my hide why isn't it good for cowhide. As long as you replace the oils time and wear take out you'll walk through the soles on most leather boots before the uppers wear out. If you soaked em through I can see oiling with neetsfoot or mink oil. But normal wear buff and polish.

I've had cobblers tell me this is the last time I can resole after 3-4 trips. I figure I got me money out of em.

Shampoo is made to clean keratin, skin in keratinous. Shampoo and conditioner  is cheap. Leather care products in the automotive aisle are expensive but the same stuff.

Badge engineering.

Archived