SASS Wire Forum

Dillon 550 question

Hoss

Question for D550 users. I called Dillon today, but they never called back 

hypothetically (asking for a friend) if you had the shell plate off your 550 and dropped a live primer in the ram, would it really hurt anything, or us there a way to get it out? My “friend” thought he had it figured out, put some art gum on a rod, figured to be able to retrieve it. Unfortunately the art gum came off the stick. Decided (Er.... my friend decided) to leave well enough alone. The primer is now full of art gum, below the level of the shell plate bolt, and didn’t seem to be creating any problems.  Any reason to try to get it out? Only way I see is to take ram out and I’m not sure that will work either. 

Hard to believe anybody is that dumb... 

If you can contact your friend. Tell him to try taping a small hose into the suction end of his ShopVac.   If not, probaly be ok      GW

Even if it detonates, there is little that contains the pressure, so the anvil or cup can't develop much velocity.   It would be more exciting if you have loose powder around the loader when the primer fires, though.

Tried blowing it out with a fine tube on the end of an air gun (compressor attachment?   Blowing air into a closed chamber often makes enough turbulence to lift out a small part.

Tried dismounting the press, taking off the die head and any other loose parts, and banging the press frame into a bench?

Good luck,  GJ

Look at it this way - it can only go bang once. Like GJ mentioned - it's at it won’t hurt anything so long as you have no loose powder down there. 

Good Luck!

TTB

6 minutes ago, Griff said:

Unbolt the machine from the bench, turn it upside down.  Primer SHOULD fall out.

Well that would have worked, except now all the art gum is stuck too

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

Well that would have worked, except now all the art gum is stuck too

Acetone.

Use a blow gun with a suction tube on it.Might be able to use a small enough tube to go down the hole.

Largo

1 hour ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

I'm sure your friend has made some sort of Top Ten list that the Dillon employees have in their break room.

That’s what I’m afraid of!!!!!

Get a can of Caned Air used on computers put a tube from WD-40 attach to the nozzle insert tube and press Caned Air nozzle.  Wear eye protection and standby for a mess as it will blow everything in there out.  If the 550 is well used, there is a lot of black specks coming out.

I had a depriming pin on a Lee drop into the ram. I took a small rod and put some masking tape on the end sticky side out then ran another strip of tape around up higher to hold the first strip on, put it in the hole and pulled the pin out. Took longer to type this than to do it.

kR

Im thinking the WD-40 would kill the primer and dissolve the art gum at the same time. Turn it upside down , gravity is your friend when your "friend" screws up.

Imis

On 12/18/2020 at 2:42 AM, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Just soak/ spray the primer hiding area full of WD-40. 

Should kill the primer and then you can just forget about it.

Life's too short to stress about little things.

+1. I have the bottom of a small can with wd40 in the bottom for crushed/ misloaded primers and rounds next to my progressive press. 

When I'm rollin I have no time to stop and pull a bullet just toss it into a different can than a good one.

Hoss is your friends name Murphy? If so he visited me yesterday while reloading. 

The good news (maybe) is that with enough rounds reloaded this problem will clear its self up or... your press will be gummed up.:ph34r:

Archived