SASS Wire Forum

And just like that I need .45-60 Winchester ammo.

Picked this up today.  Now I am in the market for some loaded .45-60 ammo.  I could also use the appropriate 300 grain bullets.  I have plenty of .45-70 brass but it will be a while until I can turn them down and get to reloading.

I did check the usual suspects but it seems to OOS everywhere reasonable.

Please let me know if you can help me out.

20201217_121256.jpg

I can’t sell you any 45-60 reloads. But..... I did find 45-60 brass at Grafs. Pretty spendy tho. I have 60 cases. And about as many cut down 45-70s. Really no discernible difference. I use 305 grn bullets from Bear Creek. 12.0 Unique. 

Harbor  Freight has a nifty mini chop saw. I think mine was 29.95. Works well for cutting the brass down. I even found a guy that sells 3D printed jigs for holding the case while cutting down. Easy-Peasy!

5 hours ago, Hoss said:

I can’t sell you any 45-60 reloads. But..... I did find 45-60 brass at Grafs. Pretty spendy tho. I have 60 cases. And about as many cut down 45-70s. Really no discernible difference. I use 305 grn bullets from Bear Creek. 12.0 Unique. 

Harbor  Freight has a nifty mini chop saw. I think mine was 29.95. Works well for cutting the brass down. I even found a guy that sells 3D printed jigs for holding the case while cutting down. Easy-Peasy!

Thanks for the tip.  I will check Graf's 

Nice find I've been looking for that gun for a couple of years.   If you decide to sell let me know.  Beautiful find.

Merry Christmas! I used to shoot SASS and still lurk here to buy a few shooting irons when something of interest comes up.

Anyway, I’ve got a bag of 174 45-60 from my Shiloh that I have had re-barreled to 40-82 Shiloh. Majority of not all of this brass is reformed from WW 45-70. Unknown round count, but this is very nice brass. Always decapped and washed on the shooting line, cleaned immediately on arrival home. Necks annealed, some will have index marks on the rim but won’t affect function or safety. Send me your PM and they’re yours. Cost is free. As I said, Merry Christmas, Happy Jüle, Happy Hanukkah to all. 

Now, if you want to keep in the spirit of things, maybe this transaction could start a “pass it on” somehow on The Wire? I’ll leave that up to you and anyone else that wants to jump in. 

Kindest Regards,

Andrew Z Skibo

AKA

Wallaby Damned #4030X

438EDFDB-16B6-4EEF-8A83-B3FD14BE10F0.jpeg

A4DE33A4-600B-4430-991E-42521B2815A2.jpeg

18 hours ago, Wallaby Damned said:

Merry Christmas! I used to shoot SASS and still lurk here to buy a few shooting irons when something of interest comes up.

Anyway, I’ve got a bag of 174 45-60 from my Shiloh that I have had re-barreled to 40-82 Shiloh. Majority of not all of this brass is reformed from WW 45-70. Unknown round count, but this is very nice brass. Always decapped and washed on the shooting line, cleaned immediately on arrival home. Necks annealed, some will have index marks on the rim but won’t affect function or safety. Send me your PM and they’re yours. Cost is free. As I said, Merry Christmas, Happy Jüle, Happy Hanukkah to all. 

Now, if you want to keep in the spirit of things, maybe this transaction could start a “pass it on” somehow on The Wire? I’ll leave that up to you and anyone else that wants to jump in. 

Kindest Regards,

Andrew Z Skibo

AKA

Wallaby Damned #4030X

438EDFDB-16B6-4EEF-8A83-B3FD14BE10F0.jpeg

A4DE33A4-600B-4430-991E-42521B2815A2.jpeg

Andrew, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!  That is mighty nice of you!  THANK YOU!

I will send you a pm with my address

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

I'm having one fixed up as a shooter.Gonna have a few BUCKS in it .Should be worth it.Its in 40/60.Im trimmini down 40/65 for it

Largo

I’ve got an original 1886 (lettered to 1890) in 40-82WCF that must have an awesome story behind it. Formerly blue and nickel, single set trigger. Left the factory as a 38-55 and was later factory rebarreled to 40-82. I hope to take an elk with it some day out here in Montana territory. 

OP- these will work provided you have slugged your bore (.408”). Note that some chambers can be all over the place so it’s definitely worth getting a casting done to confirm. My 40-82 WCF is .406” (ca. 1890) while the Shiloh is .408”.
FYI, my $0.02, and your mileage may vary. :P

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010753762?pid=633224

10 hours ago, Wallaby Damned said:

I’ve got an original 1886 (lettered to 1890) in 40-82WCF that must have an awesome story behind it. Formerly blue and nickel, single set trigger. Left the factory as a 38-55 and was later factory rebarreled to 40-82. I hope to take an elk with it some day out here in Montana territory. 

That sounds like a really cool rifle.  

I just picked this up and my wife decided it was my Christmas present which in our house means it never gets sold.:D

I will do a chamber cast and slug the bore next week after we get through Christmas.

Paying it forward here.

Archived