SASS Wire Forum

Taxidermy question

Of the mounts I have, the deer has the hide and antlers.  Everything under it is made of foam these days.  Back in the old days they used a lot of wire forms and paper mache. 

The fish has the skin and teeth. I assume the skull as well to hold the teeth.  With fish they recommend you take a picture as soon as possible after catching it as the skin turns white in the tanning so they have to paint the color back on.

taxidermy supply houses have almost every critter imaginable. The taxidermist may need to shape the form some but it is pretty much just stretching on the tanned hide over the form, closing it up and putting in on a mounting surface. My nephew showed me how he did it, not that either of us are experts.

Today most fish mounts are fiberglass replicas. The real art is the painting of the skin color. I have 2 replica mounts, one is a Dorado (Dolphinfish) that is about 5o# We took pictures and measurements of it and then ate the fish. I took the pictures and measurements to the taxi and we got the fish replica about 6 months later. I also have a Brown Trout that is about 24" that is a fiberglass replica also. 1635086866_dorado005.thumb.JPG.64c88acc190caff1a72f219696e3bea9.JPG1225591341_fish001.thumb.JPG.8c1bf6d502b7fae83ef4fa34d3014096.JPG

Archived