SASS Wire Forum

Land Run 2021 Southwest Regional Championship

Flat Top Okie

State Matches or large matches are often scheduled next to their adjacent states.  The PA State Match is always scheduled on the same weekend as the Ohio State Match.  I went to the PA Match two times and this year I will go to the Ohio State Match.

Last year when the PAS State Match was moved, it ended up being the same weekend as the WV State Match.  I went to the WV Match.  We make our choices.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello All,

Mae and I just finished entering applications and everyone who has mailed or registered online should have received your confirmation. We look forward to seeing you all in April.

Flat Top

11 hours ago, Flat Top Okie said:

Hello All,

Mae and I just finished entering applications and everyone who has mailed or registered online should have received your confirmation. We look forward to seeing you all in April.

Flat Top

Yep got my confirmation, look forward to this shoot one of my favorites! Amazing how smooth you and your crew run a shoot of this size! See you in April!   SCJ

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the kind words. Unless someone has been the match director for a large match they probably don't know how much work and organization is done in the months prior to the match to insure that it goes smoothly. We are lucky to have someone like Missouri Mae who is so detail oriented. Thanks again for the kind words.

Flat Top

2 hours ago, Flat Top Okie said:

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the kind words. Unless someone has been the match director for a large match they probably don't know how much work and organization is done in the months prior to the match to insure that it goes smoothly. We are lucky to have someone like Missouri Mae who is so detail oriented. Thanks again for the kind words.

Flat Top

FOR SURE.....and she has a good helper too.  Got to give him a tad of credit.

On 1/3/2021 at 8:01 AM, Silver Creek Jack said:

Yep got my confirmation, look forward to this shoot one of my favorites! Amazing how smooth you and your crew run a shoot of this size! See you in April!   SCJ

Looking forward to seeing you in OKC.

30 minutes ago, Ozark Shark said:

Looking forward to seeing you in OKC.

Same here pard!  SCJ

Hi Guys and Gals,

We have over 200 shooters signed up for Land Run and everyone who has registered on line or mailed their application should have received a confirmation. If not please contact Mae at missourimae@gmail.com. If you have not registered, I would do so as soon as possible. We will need to limit entries to 420.

Thanks,

Flat Top

Flat Top Okie,

Just wondering if when Winter Range moves to Oklahoma,will the number of shooters be limited to 420 or so , as Land Run is this year?

I have shot WR for the last 5 years, and there has been 700-800+ shooters every year.

Just wonderin',

Choctaw

2 hours ago, Choctaw Jack said:

Flat Top Okie,

Just wondering if when Winter Range moves to Oklahoma,will the number of shooters be limited to 420 or so , as Land Run is this year?

I have shot WR for the last 5 years, and there has been 700-800+ shooters every year.

Just wonderin',

Choctaw

Just my observation from the ease the OTMs ran the  Land Run/SW Reg match at 10 stages with two rotations over two days, 700 to 800 shooters should be no problem at 12 stages,  three rotations and in three days.

14 minutes ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Just my observation from the ease the OTMs ran the  Land Run/SW Reg match at 10 stages with two rotations over two days, 700 to 800 shooters should be no problem at 12 stages,  three rotations and in three days.

OK Billy... I admit it.... Sometimes I'm Real Slow. :blush:

What the heck is an OTM ????????

I just figgered it out... Oklahoma Territorial Marshals......

That makes more sense than the Ottawa Tennis Moms... :D

On 1/11/2021 at 12:55 PM, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

OK Billy... I admit it.... Sometimes I'm Real Slow. :blush:

What the heck is an OTM ????????

I just figgered it out... Oklahoma Territorial Marshals......

That makes more sense than the Ottawa Tennis Moms... :D

I think tennis is likely illegal in Oklahoma, and if it's not, tennis is still a massive waste of a gun range. ;)

4 hours ago, Ozark Shark said:

I think tennis is likely illegal in Oklahoma, and if it's not, tennis is still a massive waste of a gun range. ;)

This guy might have kept John McEnroe in check...

image.jpeg.f50db6764ef3c872641eb17ff1c74fd6.jpeg

On 12/17/2020 at 2:23 PM, Cassalong Hopidy said:

App and entry fee going in the mail.  This will be my first time at Land Run but I have heard nothing but good things about it,. including from my pard and regular traveling mate Fast Eddie, and confirmed them watching numerous You Tube  videos.  Keep those targets big and close!  See you in April.  Cass

Will be great seeing you there, buddy!

Hello All,

Mae and I entered applications today and we have 255 paid and 20 in the waiting to pay file. Remember the last day to register is April 7th. Thanks for the tremendous response, but remember, we can only accommodate  420 shooters with our 10 stage, two flight format. This means we may have to stop accepting entries prior to our posted date,  so please send your application or register online at your earliest opportunity. Next year, for the National Championship, we will be shooting 3 flights of 4 stages each flight over three days,  so we can accommodate about 650 shooters. See you in April.

Flat Top   

Excellent numbers and only half way thru January.  

Hello All,

Confirmations for todays applications were sent by e-mail. We have 268 paid entries and 17 waiting to pay. Cut off date is April 7th unless we reach maximum number 0f 420 earlier. We have 40 categories with enough shooters to be able to order buckles at this time. Remember, if your category does not reach minimum by February 1st, your buckle will read "Category Champion" instead of listing the category: example "Senior Classic Cowboy". Please send your entry as early as possible. Thanks again for the great response.

Flat Top 

Knowing the SASS community and the people that put their blood sweat and tears into these matches with little to no monetary remuneration, I would say, with a high degree of confidence that this date wasn't chosen to mess with 4 Corners. There are 50 states who put on their state matches, two major US matches, 7 regionals, and countless annuals. Adding to this complexity, most of the US states like to hold their matches in the spring, summer and fall when we are not freezing, and many of the southwestern states hold their matches in the winter and spring, when it is not too hot. This latter comment might actually help things. 

Now let's take away the holidays of New Year, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, and Christmas and the 52 weekends of the year turn into maybe 25-30 that can be used by all of these matches. Then you must consider all of the other "major matches" and any other matches that are major attractors or shooters. In the US southwest, we have Tombstone that has it's own gravity it's so popular. Finally, throw in traditional summertime months when families are free from school and many times work to take advantage of kids being home. 

Then let's discuss the concept of spacing. Many people can't attend a major match a month, so they will need to space things out. When you have Tombstone in October, EOT in June and Winter Range in February, now have only 9 months of which to plan your match. Aligning your match with the major gravity wells of these three matches, and others in your region, timing can be tricky. You also have matches like Landrun, Bar3 which also pull their share of people from the globe and other regions.

Finally money and time. For every shooter, they only have so much of it. Marketing, friends, seasons, work, children and many other things factor into their decisions.

Every match director and their committees must consider all of these factors before they set their date. I doubt very much that they consider a trying to screw another club out of their date when they do. If they land on the same date, it's likely because all of the above information was considered and when they made the date that was the only date they could choose. Given the Cowboy Way that we all strive to live by, I am sure they understand that having to plan with other large matches on the same weekends will not be optimal but likely necessary.

An example of just one person's schedule, I have attached my wish list of matches below and you can see how quickly for even one person that year's options disappear.

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 10.56.48 AM.png

Just saw the catagories that made it.

Mine has not, and probably had died and gone away...

But, here is my plea...

Anyone who knows Fiesty, ask her to consider moving to LFC (as LFCD and LFCDS has not made the cut)

If she and I move to LFC, we will have a catagory.;)

(I know, I know...but I like smoke, and want to shoot it in a ladies catagory!!)

1 hour ago, Jokers Wild said:

Knowing the SASS community and the people that put their blood sweat and tears into these matches with little to no monetary remuneration, I would say, with a high degree of confidence that this date wasn't chosen to mess with 4 Corners. There are 50 states who put on their state matches, two major US matches, 7 regionals, and countless annuals. Adding to this complexity, most of the US states like to hold their matches in the spring, summer and fall when we are not freezing, and many of the southwestern states hold their matches in the winter and spring, when it is not too hot. This latter comment might actually help things. 

Now let's take away the holidays of New Year, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, and Christmas and the 52 weekends of the year turn into maybe 25-30 that can be used by all of these matches. Then you must consider all of the other "major matches" and any other matches that are major attractors or shooters. In the US southwest, we have Tombstone that has it's own gravity it's so popular. Finally, throw in traditional summertime months when families are free from school and many times work to take advantage of kids being home. 

Then let's discuss the concept of spacing. Many people can't attend a major match a month, so they will need to space things out. When you have Tombstone in October, EOT in June and Winter Range in February, now have only 9 months of which to plan your match. Aligning your match with the major gravity wells of these three matches, and others in your region, timing can be tricky. You also have matches like Landrun, Bar3 which also pull their share of people from the globe and other regions.

Finally money and time. For every shooter, they only have so much of it. Marketing, friends, seasons, work, children and many other things factor into their decisions.

Every match director and their committees must consider all of these factors before they set their date. I doubt very much that they consider a trying to screw another club out of their date when they do. If they land on the same date, it's likely because all of the above information was considered and when they made the date that was the only date they could choose. Given the Cowboy Way that we all strive to live by, I am sure they understand that having to plan with other large matches on the same weekends will not be optimal but likely necessary.

An example of just one person's schedule, I have attached my wish list of matches below and you can see how quickly for even one person that year's options disappear.

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 10.56.48 AM.png

I have to agree Joker...

We had to look at time vs travel vs incoming income.

We were lucky to at one time have matches start in Feb and go to August (wich was where we used to attend 4 Corners Regional at Founders Ranch. Outlaw trail was the regional and was held in August) with a month between to recoup the cost and plan for the next.

At this time, with Shanley being a working man to date...we have a few weeks of vacation, and an extra day or two travel keps us from many matches in the far West, Far East and Far North;)

Archived