SASS Wire Forum

rebarrel 3006 what would you choose

Perro Del Diablo

Honestly, I would go with your first inclination. I don’t and have never shot the .280 but if that’s your first choice, go with it. 

If I were to recommend, say .308, and you did that and then one day you missed a deer or hit the deer but the deer doesn’t go down and runs off I wouldn’t want you thinking. “I shouldn’t have listened to that knucklehead.” ;)

But, since you’re asking, why not stay with 30.06? It’s what the gun was built for. :)

What brand / model rifle is it?

7 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Honestly, I would go with your first inclination. I don’t and have never shot the .280 but if that’s your first choice, go with it. 

If I were to recommend, say .308, and you did that and then one day you missed a deer or hit the deer but the deer doesn’t go down and runs off I wouldn’t want you thinking. “I shouldn’t have listened to that knucklehead.” ;)

But, since you’re asking, why not stay with 30.06? It’s what the gun was built for. :)

What brand / model rifle is it?

Browning A bolt. The remington 280 is a 7mm bullet in a necked down 30 06 case. Made commercial in late 50s or early 60s so like 270 win difference is the bullet. My son has a 308 he loves I haven't hunted with my 3006 model 70 in years but may have it recoil tamed and give me new lease on it. if only problem is cosmetics when comes in it will stay 3006 at least for now. This year I used my 257 Roberts and went 3 for 4. First miss I ever had tried a head shot on doe off by about inch. she will be around another day.

You don't say what you will be using it for. If you are going to hunt moose, it's too small. Great for deer. Stay with a longer case, too many feeding problems with 308  short case in the longer action. I would stay with 30-06

Even better might be the 280 Ackley Improved. 

I have an FN Mauser (Sears &Roebuck) in 30-06 of which I already have a great left hand Winchester 70 so am considering rebarreling it.  My choices so far are 6.5-06 and 338-06.  JES can rebore to the latter so rebarreling is not necessary.

I would throw the 7x57 Mauser into the mix too. Soft shooting and will take 99% of the game in North America.

What is the rifles intended purpose?  The 30-06 is a pretty good all around caliber and I have found that even ugly barrels still shoot well with a re-crown and a little TLC.  If you really want to re-barrel though I'd consider the 25-06 if you want do go down in diameter or the 35 Whelen if you want to go up.

3 hours ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

Browning A bolt. The remington 280 is a 7mm bullet in a necked down 30 06 case. Made commercial in late 50s or early 60s so like 270 win difference is the bullet. My son has a 308 he loves I haven't hunted with my 3006 model 70 in years but may have it recoil tamed and give me new lease on it. if only problem is cosmetics when comes in it will stay 3006 at least for now. This year I used my 257 Roberts and went 3 for 4. First miss I ever had tried a head shot on doe off by about inch. she will be around another day.

I had a rifle in 270 years ago and I must say it was one accurate rifle round. When I quit deer hunting in California I sold it to a friend. .270 Winchester is also a round to consider. Easy to fin if need be.

I hate when my fingers fumble....

2 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

Even better might be the 280 Ackley Improved. 

I have an FN Mauser (Sears &Roebuck) in 30-06 of which I already have a great left hand Winchester 70 so am considering rebarreling it.  My choices so far are 6.5-06 and 338-06.  JES can rebore to the latter so rebarreling is not necessary.

Interesting choices 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I had a rifle in 270 years ago and I must say it was one accurate rifle round. When I quit deer hunting in California I sold it to a friend. .270 Winchester is also a round to consider. Easy to fin if need be.

I hate when my fingers fumble....

O'Conner liked it. Took just about everything availble with it, for the table. 

But I am a hard wired 30-06 guy. 

Although no longer the standard U.S. military round (neither is the .308/7.62), you will most likely be able to find .30-06 ammo available anywhere ammo is sold.  I would stick with .30-06 unless you plan to hunt Alaskan brown bear.  Then I would go to .338 Win Mag.

Stay well and safe, Pard!

Happy Holidays!

The 30-06 is one of the finest do-everything rounds ever made. I’d say stick with that unless you have a hankering to play around. 

In that case, do what Pat said and go with your gut. The 280 Remington is a fine round of you’re willing to work with some scarcity of components. 

5 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Stay with .30-06 

OLG 

I absolutely concur.

Except for the biggest bears, I'll tackle anything on this continent with an '06.....and I might even take a crack at Señor Oso if the opportunity were to arise.

If the bore is bad , have it bored out to .338-06 .... or  .35 Whelen.

I have never owned a .30-06, but I have shot it plenty, it just has never turned my Crank it is a fine caliber and will handle 95% of all game in North America . 

With the right loads and in the hands of some one who can shoot ...

The .280 has always struck me as the answer to the question that didn't need asking .....

Jabez Cowboy

Nothing wrong with the .30-06 as has been pointed out. If you already have enough rifles in that caliber I would agree with Yellowhouse Sam and Jabez Cowboy. The 6.5-06 would be a great choice because range of bullet weights available. The  sectional density of the heavy bullets in this caliber make it very interesting. Stepping up in size, the .338-06 and .35 Whelen are the way to go.

Full disclosure, the 6.5x55 is my favorite rifle caliber, the .35 Whelen is my second favorite., but through a comedy of life I own more rifles in .30-06 than any other.

7mm-08. I’ve killed a lot of buffalo, elk, deer and antelope with mine. Recoil is very manageable with a Pachmyer decellerator recoil pad. 

A couple folks have mentioned the .270, hard to go wrong with that.

Just now, Perro Del Diablo said:

With longer action 7*57 may not cycle well. That’s ok I ha an fn Mauser in7*57

It's only a quarter inch difference, less than the difference between an '06 and a .308.

I have an article somewhere in my mag stack that recommended the 7mm Rem mag for deer, hog, elk, coyote and black bear.  The main thought in the article was that a reloader could assemble rounds in 7-30, 7x57, .280 and 7mn Rem Mag performance levels for different size shooters and applications.

My father had a Remington 722 in 280 don't know what ever happened to it. I have 30-06 that I have good success with. sometimes i like a caliber that is little different. #00 savage 257 Roberts. They are not obsolete but unique in there own sense. Texas deer probably most likely use. Should I hunt larger I will select appropriate caliber and bullet combo. All the support for 30-06 reminds me why was my first  rifle and some day will belong to my kids.

Since it’s a long action and I assume you want to reuse the same bolt and want the same bolt face, short action rounds are a waste on a long action....

280 is an excellent choice, but I’d probably go Ackley Improved, otherwise id just assume get a 270 based on ammo availability. 
280 AI rough numbers with 140 grain bullet:

3000+ foot pounds at the muzzle.
2000+ feet per second at 700 yards.
1000+ foot pounds at 875 yards.
Drops below subsonic at around 1600 yards.

Here are several options.

25-06

6.5-06

280 Remington

280 Ackley Improved (A common wildcat with available factory rifles and factory ammunition)

30-06

338-06

35 Whelen

9.3x62

15 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

I have an article somewhere in my mag stack that recommended the 7mm Rem mag for deer, hog, elk, coyote and black bear.  The main thought in the article was that a reloader could assemble rounds in 7-30, 7x57, .280 and 7mm Rem Mag performance levels for different size shooters and applications.

I had two Rem Mags, bought at the same time at a PX on Okinawa, and identically scoped.  One was a Rem 700ADL, the other was a Weatherby Vanguard.

I lost all faith and respect in Weatherby's rifle when I could nun's get this thing to hit anything smaller than a school bus at a hundred yards.  Sold it another Marine who just had to have a Weatherby.

The Remington was a dream gun in every aspect, but I had to sell it to feed the family when things got tough.  I still miss that piece.

Walked into the LGS one day several years ago. Browsing the racks of used guns. Found a Remington 700 ADL in .243 Winchester. I fondled it for the longest time but walked away. Still kick myself, but I reasoned that I had no need for that caliber. Now I realize that NEED has nothing to do with the selection. 

22 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Walked into the LGS one day several years ago. Browsing the racks of used guns. Found a Remington 700 ADL in .243 Winchester. I fondled it for the longest time but walked away. Still kick myself, but I reasoned that I had no need for that caliber. Now I realize that NEED has nothing to do with the selection. 

I'd snap that up today. 

31 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Me 2, but it is long gone and so is the LGS.

My son just shot his first buck with my dad's 700ADL in .270. 

IMG_20201114_163627241.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I got her in bore looks real good but dirty. Stock is little beat up and scope has few scratches dings but nothing major. Action is dry to work bolt but not gritty or sloppy. I think could have been a truck gun or someone that doesn't know how to care for a rifle. I will try it out after a strip down and good cleaning and lube. My son showed interest in bigger caliber if he likes it be nice transition since he has an A-bolt in 308.

Archived