SASS Wire Forum

Categories in Practiscore

Fretless

I spent some time today playing around with Practiscore on android tablets and a phone.  When entering shooter info all the categories (age, costume, shooting style) are lumped together.  Am I misunderstanding the rules in thinking that a person should be able to enter, for example, an age category and also B Western?  Is there any way to do that with Practiscore?

7 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

I tried playing around with it and found it to not be very Cowboy friendly.

sb

Can you elaborate on that?  

20 minutes ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

The shooter must elect a (single) category.

That said, the rules contemplate age restricted “subcategories”, for example, Senior Gunfighter.

So, in my example (age, and B Western) the shooter would only choose B Western?  And that would be on open age category?  They would be choosing not to be judged in their age group (forty-niner for example)?

I want a scoring program to be specific for this game. One that is set up to directly enter all the things that are needed to score a Cowboy match. Alias, Category, posse number. I want each stage to show the posse list, a place for raw time, misses, penalty, bonus, total score. I want it labeled as such so that anyone can be handed the Tablet and without prior knowledge can intuitively seen and enter the simple data given to them.. i.e., T.O. Says 23.56, 2 misses, 1 proceedural, 2 bonus. There should be a place to just easily enter all of that. The program should have had the posse list downloaded into it from the club computer. It should already know that there are up to 5 bonuses on this stage and handle it directly. It needs to be EASY. This program was not. I found for two day before I could even get it out of the Black gun screen. We use Android tablets, so CAS is out. It only works with Apple. Now I'm sure that those using this program are saying that I'm just too dumb to understand this program. They may be right, but it is absolutely not a program that someone can easily use. If a person can fill out a paper score sheet, then they ought to be able to touch the spot on the table to do the same thing, and there needs to be a easy way to correct things if they hit the wrong thing. EASY.. that is what I want. 

4 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

I want a scoring program to be specific for this game. One that is set up to directly enter all the things that are needed to score a Cowboy match. Alias, Category, posse number. I want each stage to show the posse list, a place for raw time, misses, penalty, bonus, total score. I want it labeled as such so that anyone can be handed the Tablet and without prior knowledge can intuitively seen and enter the simple data given to them.. i.e., T.O. Says 23.56, 2 misses, 1 proceedural, 2 bonus. There should be a place to just easily enter all of that. The program should have had the posse list downloaded into it from the club computer. It should already know that there are up to 5 bonuses on this stage and handle it directly. It needs to be EASY. This program was not. I found for two day before I could even get it out of the Black gun screen. We use Android tablets, so CAS is out. It only works with Apple. Now I'm sure that those using this program are saying that I'm just too dumb to understand this program. They may be right, but it is absolutely not a program that someone can easily use. If a person can fill out a paper score sheet, then they ought to be able to touch the spot on the table to do the same thing, and there needs to be a easy way to correct things if they hit the wrong thing. EASY.. that is what I want. 

I'd never call anyone dumb, you're not.

It doesn't sound like you switched over to the CAS template though. I prefer Android as well so that leaves the other programs out.

1 minute ago, Fretless said:

So, in my example (age, and B Western) the shooter would only choose B Western?  And that would be on open age category?  They would be choosing not to be judged in their age group (forty-niner for example)?

The open age category is Cowboy/Cowgirl.  It is separate from B Western.

6 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

It doesn't sound like you switched over to the CAS template though. I prefer Android as well so that leaves the other programs out.

I read in another thread how to do that.  Had I not read that before hand, I can easily envision frustration.  

Top right corner, click on Change, then on Add, then select SASS Cowboy Action Shooting

There may also have been updates, as I never saw a black gun screen.

Screenshot_20201216-101413.png

11 minutes ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

The open age category is Cowboy/Cowgirl.  It is separate from B Western.

I'm being dense.  Sorry. 

In SASS, can a shooter be in B Western (or Classic Cowboy, or Gunfighter) and also in their age category? 

If so, is there a way to do that in Practiscore?

Just now, Fretless said:

I'm being dense.  Sorry. 

In SASS, can a shooter be in B Western (or Classic Cowboy, or Gunfighter) and also in their age category? 

Yes, the Age category is actually simpler for someone starting out when it comes to choosing their guns. For example, when I got active last year, I did not relaize this, so even though I already had a Rossi 92 I thought that shooting Classic I had to get a 73 or older style rifle and a hammered shotgun. I could have dressed in Classic style, and still used what I already owned shooting 49er.

8 minutes ago, Fretless said:

I'm being dense.  Sorry. 

No, you must select a single category. B Western is B Western, there is no B Western 49er, or B Western FCGF. 

1 hour ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

The shooter must elect a (single) category.

That said, the rules contemplate age restricted “subcategories”, for example, Senior Gunfighter.

5 minutes ago, Fretless said:

I'm being dense.  Sorry. 

Each category is separate.  You can only elect one for the match.  

For example, I am 59 years old.  Age based categories available to me are Cowboy, Wrangler (35 and older) and 49er (age 49 and older).  I can pick only one of those.

Say I wanted to shoot gunfighter style which I am not allowed to do in age based categories.  I therefore elect Gunfighter category.  That category has no age restrictions so my age is irrelevant.  Again, I have elected one category.

Now, the rules allow for age restricted subdivisions of specialized categories.  There might be a minimum number of entrants before such a category is recognized.  An example would be Senior Duelist.  It is a separate category from Senior and from Duelist.  It is a single category.

This is what the rules allow.  I don’t know enough about Practiscore to answer the other question.

Thank you Abe.  Between you, Deacon, and Jefro my original (and subsequent) questions have been answered.  Sounds like the category selection in Practiscore is just fine.

48 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

OK.. tnx. I bring up the program and this is what I see, from top to bottom:

Line 1: PS My First Match

Line 2: Edit Shooters/Squads

Line 3: Build Stages

Line 4: View Results

Line 5: Import/Export

Line 6: Sync Devices

Line 7: Notifications

Just which one of these selections allows me to to to a CAS template?

4 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

Look to the top right corner of your screen.  Click on "change", then click "add".  After that you should get a list of ruleset templates.  SASS Cowboy Action Shooting is in that list

6 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

@Fretless can you link that other thread as well? Don't have my tablet handy right now, so can't give Mr. Snakebite a good answer.

3 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

@Fretless can you link that other thread as well? Don't have my tablet handy right now, so can't give Mr. Snakebite a good answer.

https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/309584-scoring-programs/

1 minute ago, Fretless said:

Thank you!

Old Time, banjo huh? I started taking Clawhammer Lessons online back in July. It's fun and has benefitted my Gunfighter skills ;)

23 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

It's fun and has benefitted my Gunfighter skills ;)

So there might be hope for my shooting.  Lol

1 hour ago, Jefro, SASS#69420 said:

No, you must select a single category. B Western is B Western, there is no B Western 49er, or B Western FCGF. 

That is not entirely correct.  According to rule, a match can split the B western category into multiple age breakdown categories (e.g. 49er B Western)  if there are enough entrants

SHB pg 10-11

CATEGORY MATRIX

Above the “Base Categories” listed in this handbook, the local club monthly match and club annual match level, all SASS recognized shooting categories may be offered by subdividing by all factors; including age, gender, shooting style, and propellant.  When breaking down all style/costume categories, the regulations for the base category is to be applied first, then the age limits.  A full listing of all possible shooting category combinations is unavailable.  The breakdown examples below serve to provide a glimpse into the various possibilities:

- Gunfighter à Lady Senior Gunfighter à Lady Senior Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter.

- Duelist à Lady Duelist à Lady Senior Duelist à Lady Silver Senior Duelist.

MINIMUM ENTRANT CATEGORY MANDATES  

In the interest of ensuring and promoting a true competitive environment at the SASS Sanctioned Championship level of competition (State, Regional, Divisional, National, and World Championships), all possible category breakdowns may be offered, however, categories above the base categories will only be honored if they meet the minimum entry mandates decreed by SASS and the Championship agreements.  Ladies’ categories must have a minimum of three entrants and open categories must have a minimum of seven entrants in order to be honored at the SASS Championship level

Exceptions to the category mandate include Buckaroo/Buckarette, Junior, Elder Statesman/Grand Dame, Cattle Baron/Cattle Baroness, and El Patron/La Patrona.  

If an offered category does not meet the minimum mandates, the entrant(s) will be entered into the next category down as the categories collapse toward the base categories until the minimum mandate is fulfilled.

*Shooting categories offered at any match are ultimately at the discretion of the Match Officials to ensure the success and viability of each match individually. 

See also:

http://fwcc.net/wp-content/uploads/SASS-Official-Category-Matrix.pdf

7 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

That is not entirely correct.  According to rule, a match can split the B western category into multiple age breakdown categories (e.g. 49er B Western)  if there are enough entrants

SHB pg 10-11

See also:

http://fwcc.net/wp-content/uploads/SASS-Official-Category-Matrix.pdf

That's a fact, you can subdivide a category into five year breaks if you want to, or create a totally different category with enough entrants if you like. But the base line categories do not include combining something like Classis Cowboy FCGF. You know what I mean;)

Every possible sub category doesn't exist by default in Practiscore. If you want to break down a category like B-Western with a Senior sub category you have to add it in the Divisions (Cowboy Category). Scroll to the bottom of the list and select new division. You can add as many as you like.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Scroll to the bottom of the list and select new division. You can add as many as you like.

And there's the missing piece of my puzzle.  Thank you.

10 hours ago, Snakebite said:

How much money do you have?

Practiscore has included SASS as part of its program and if anyone bothered to put in a bug report they have been very receptive to fixing them. I for one am grateful for their support which is pretty darn gracious of an organization that as far as I can tell doesn't receive one thin dime from SASS.

The CAS program works very well and the programmer(s) deserve a big thank you for their uncompensated effort because again as far as I can tell they haven't received one thin dime from SASS.

Everybody loved ACES mostly because it was the only thing out there so it was learn it or do without. When I tried to learn it from scratch it was very frustrating as the program was not intuitive to set up from scratch and the documentation I did find was out of date. Online tech support wasn't available either.

Early on the developer(s) tried to sell ACES for a small fee per device but that model failed to put any food on their table. Eventually it became a free download.  Although it was very popular with clubs SASS never stepped up and supported it monetarily so so it withered and died.

The reality of software is you get what you pay for. Sometimes you get lucky and the developer does it for free as a labor of love. 

13 hours ago, Fretless said:

I'm being dense.  Sorry. 

NO/Yes

There are many senior categories listed in the category selection. You can contact practiscore and have additional categories added.

You can edit/Add categories.... When you go to Shooters you will see ADD SHOOTER # at the bottom. To the right is a MORE tab. Click on MORE and select Division <Division is the name Practiscore uses for SASS Categories> . At the bottom of the screen you will see ADD Division. Click on it. Enter the Division name you wish and then ENTER KEY. Add more if you wish.

13 hours ago, Snakebite said:

99% of what you asked for is already in Practiscore.

And it is VERY easy to use.

Each shooter is entered into a MASTER tablet. When entering the shooter they are assigned a Posse (Squad) # and a category. 

You then "sync" the master to however many tablets you have posses. Each posse generally only brings up the Posse they are on. (And exception would be shoot throughs). If your range has internet access through wi-fi. When the score is approved on the tablet it is automatically uploaded to the cloud. If you do not have internet access the the posse tablets are synced back to the MAster at end of the day.

Like most computer devices. You cannot force the computer to do things your way. You must do things the way the computer understands else the task becomes very frustrating.

Archived