SASS Wire Forum

Non-SASS. Low recoil shotguns?

Charlie Harley, #14153

I’m on the losing end of a battle with arthritis in the C3/4/5 region and will probably have to give up the 12 gauge S/Ss and O/Us that I dearly love.

But I ain’t giving up busting clays!  Just adapting and overcoming a bit. 

I have my 20 gauge Remington 58 that is a dream to shoot, and was wondering if 60 years of technology improvements have made something even easier on the recoil. 

Ive heard good stuff about Binellis. Anybody got experience with them?

I appreciate any insight the Saloon can offer. 

Whatever you wind up with, put a Remington Supercell pad on it. Those things WORK!

I've shot plenty of rounds through a 12 ga Benelli M2, mostly OO Buck and it purrs like a kitten.  Pretty mild recoil.  Use birdshot, target loads or similar and recoil is non existent. 

I believe their hunting guns all have a similar if not identical operating system. I'm guessing you'd be happy.

Early '70's I bought a Beretta AL-2.  Gas operated; with a "self-adjusting" piston that would compensate for different loads.  I could mix gentle target loads with 3" magnum waterfowl loads; it wouldn't hiccup - and it was the softest shooting gun I've ever shot.  I have side X sides, O/U's, pumps... but almost fifty years later, it's still my go-to gun for birds - feathered or clay.  

Benelli... Beretta... heck, even Remington (although I'd recommend Italian) - gas-operated is a good way to tame recoil.  Plus what Deacon said about the Supercell pad.  ;)

Since I compete in 3 gun, I am in the market for a Mossberg 940 JM Pro. I am completely sold on gas recoil for shotgun.

My lady just got an AK pattern shotgun, and she is also sold on it.

For reference, I have been shooting a Maverick 88 pump and she has been shooting a Mossberg 20 GA pump youth model (she could not find a 12 GA youth model).

While I can not help you with a specific recommendation for your sport, I can say a gas recoil system will make a huge difference in felt recoil.

For auto-loaders you pretty much have two operating system choices, Gas and Inertia. Your gas-operated guns will include such brands as Beretta, Browning (including Winchester), Mossberg and Remington. Inertia driven brands are Benelli, Franchi, and Stoeger (all owned by Beretta now, but think of the Franchi in particular as an entry level Benelli). There are also a couple of Turkish branded guns that use both systems as well.

If you've shot a Remington 1100, you've shot a gas system. The advantage of gas is the ability to reliably feed both very light and very heavy loads. Typically, excess gas is bled off which helps soften recoil, although the Remington Versa-Max and V3 system utilizes ports, depending on the length of the shell. The downside is weight and it requires a bit more frequent and thorough cleaning.

Inertia driven systems are light, as in "Wow! I can't believe how light this shotgun is!" light. This can be a distinct advantage for some, but others, like myself, prefer a slightly heavier shotgun. They also function more reliably as they get dirty, and don't get as dirty as quick. One of the disadvantages is they don't always reliably feed light loads. I've had shooters say they've never had a problem with light loads in their Benelli, and at least one that traded theirs because it wouldn't function with light loads.

Many of your Beretta and Benelli guns are going to have very soft recoil pads out of the box, and won't need swapping out.

To get into the guts of the differences a bit more, here is a reasonably short but informative article:

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/gas-vs-inertia-shotguns/

As for me, I still love my break-action shotguns, but I look longingly at the Beretta A400s. I might have to break my piggy bank one day and at least get an A300.

It's been a few years since I have been a 4-H safety coach, but at the time the 20ga Beretta 391's were considered some of the best youth shotguns because of their light weight yet very manageable recoil.  Have not kept up with all the latest models but I have used a number of Benelli and Beretta semi autos and found them all to be mild shooting guns and more reliable than a Remington 1100 or 1187.

A few years ago I wanted to try Skeet and Trap Shooting.

The range I went to had a "Pro Shop".  When I talked to the guys in the shop they recommended the Beretta A400 Xcel. I ended up getting back into Cowboy Action instead.

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/a400-xcel/#:~:text=A400 Xcel%3A the Fastest%2C Lowest,anything else on the market.

I noticed this in regards to Benelli shotguns. Pretty cool stock.

https://www.benelliusa.com/resources/comfortech

Some thoughts to reduce the recoil in the guns that you already have:

1) mercury recoil reducers work by spreading the moment of inertia

2) make sure that you guns fit you. 

3) backboring barrels works

4) use a weight in the non-firing barrel on singles.  A brass insert about 4" long makes a noticeable increase in weight thus reducing recoil.

Winchester makes a low recoil AA,  Win AA12FL8, 26 gram, 8 shot. 

All same shells fired in different types of shotguns have same recoil.  Action/reaction. 

Felt recoil is what you are trying to mitigate.

Heavier gun less felt recoil.  

Gas operated semi-autos stretches the recoil pulse so less felt recoil.

Beretta 391, Browning Gold, Rem 11-87 are all good choices for managing felt recoil.

OP,
I have several cases of Win AA for SASS use.
Tried some at the trap range in my Remington V3.
They shoot properly, but too weak the cycle the gas-gun action.

When I shoot the SxS at the trap range, there is a huge difference in perceived recoil between the AA and regular Gun Club trap shells.
My SxS has a brass butt plate... shooting slugs or #000 in this is quite a pounding.

If you roll your own, Remington STS hulls, 3/4 oz #7.5 shot, CB0175-12 wads, and Clays, Extra-Lite or 700-X will give the lightest recoils I have found so far.

Look at one of these; https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/Remington-Model-1100-Competition-Synthetic-Semi-Auto-Shotgun

I know it's from Remington but they are still out there. I have one. I have had 2 shoulder operations and this gun kicks very little. It has 

a factory installed recoil reducing stock. 

1 hour ago, Thunder Creek Kid said:

Look at one of these; https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/Remington-Model-1100-Competition-Synthetic-Semi-Auto-Shotgun

I know it's from Remington but they are still out there. I have one. I have had 2 shoulder operations and this gun kicks very little. It has 

a factory installed recoil reducing stock. 

Didn’t realize those were still being made. I’ll never get rid of mine. 

7 hours ago, bgavin said:

OP,
I have several cases of Win AA for SASS use.
Tried some at the trap range in my Remington V3.
They shoot properly, but too weak the cycle the gas-gun action.

Bet they'd work in a Beretta....  :rolleyes:

Very well could.   I never owned a high end Beretta or an over-under.

The only trap guns I own are the V3, and the 870 when I had the trap barrel on it.. since sold, went back to the 20" cylinder and big magazine.
The V3 is a real sweet shooter for trap... very soft recoil where I do not feel like I've gone 10 rounds with Iron Mike after 3 or 4 boxes of Gun Club.

I was amazed at the big apparent recoil reduction of the AA in my SxS, compared to Gun Club in the same.

Archived