SASS Wire Forum

Light for gun safe dial

Abilene, SASS # 27489

I've had a Liberty safe with digital lock for a long time, but recently got a safe with a traditional dial lock.  Located in the bedroom, the lighting is "okay" but I still have to squint a bit and so figured out a simple way to light the dial.  The light is a ball-cap clip-on unit that cost a dollar at Walmart.  This particular one had a metal clip, and some round magnets I had were a perfect size for the clip.  The magnet isn't real strong, but good enough.  It is much easier reading the numbers now.  If I can remember to turn the light off when I'm not using it, the little cell batteries should last a really long time.  I've had other clip on lights before that were all-plastic, but a magnet could easily be glued to one of those.

safelight1.jpg

safelight1a.jpg

safelight1b.jpg

Harbor Freight has several magnetic lights that are also useful for odd places.

12 minutes ago, John Boy said:

Free , watch the Harbor Freight flyers ... Have one on each safe ....

I have about twenty of those. :D  They are great.

But they are a little too heavy  for their magnet.  They will slide down the walls easily.  I have one stuck inside the safe, but it is supported by a shelf.  They stick a little better to the fridge, which has smoother walls.

I guess I should add, maybe they vary.  I have one in the trunk of my car stuck sideways to the metal body in the spare tire well and it stays there fine.

On 12/16/2020 at 12:36 AM, John Boy said:

Free , watch the Harbor Freight flyers ... Have one on each safe ...

So, I went through a few of my Harbor Freight flashlights and found one with a much better magnet than the one inside the safe.  But it still slides a bit when the light on the end is pointed downward.  So I just took one of those little round magnets like I used with the hat clip-on, and placed that magnet just above the safe dial.  Now I can put the bigger flashlight right above that and the small magnet prevents it from sliding down.  I just have to remember to cover up big side light when I toggle past that big light with the switch so I don't get blinded. :)

Archived