SASS Wire Forum

Your ideal category

Buckshot Sheridan

18 hours ago, Tn Tombstone said:

Waimea is right, Outlaw is the ultimate style for me too. I do wish I had made it 40 cal or larger when we were starting it. I would love to get rid of those tiny little 32's

Need to check power factor on them little pea shooters.

I like the idea of any gun in Outlaw.

If I club someone over the head to steal their stuff and they have .32's I ain't gonna turn up my nose at them.

(Speaking purely from a hypothetical Outlaw point of view). :lol:

How funny, it is all incorporated in the Outlaw Category. We shoot anything we can find, anyway we can shoot it. OUTLAW pretty much says it all.

23 hours ago, Tn Tombstone said:

Waimea is right, Outlaw is the ultimate style for me too. I do wish I had made it 40 cal or larger when we were starting it. I would love to get rid of those tiny little 32's

32?     isnt that ladies outlaw?   yeah outlaw is by far the most fun., especially with black powder in the pistols..

9 minutes ago, mean gun mark said:

32?     isnt that ladies outlaw?   yeah outlaw is by far the most fun., especially with black powder in the pistols..

BP Outlaw is the ultimate!

9 minutes ago, Waimea said:

BP Outlaw is the ultimate!

i kind of like shooting the smoky fire stuff out of my 97, something i cant do when outlaw isnt offered and i have to shoot fcgf instead..........see you at blackgold?

Just now, mean gun mark said:

i kind of like shooting the smoky fire stuff out of my 97, something i cant due when outlaw isnt offered and i have to shoot fcgf instead..........see you at blackgold?

My crystal ball is on the fritz.

I am keeping my ear to the ground right now.

???

Thanks for asking though.

W

I shot eight monthly matches in 2020 (usually shoot more like fifteen monthly and 2-3 multi-day matches).  In eight matches, I shot Frontiersman 3x, Funfighter 2x, Duelist 1x, Wrangler 1x and FC 1x.  

I like the categories we have but if forced to add one:

Gunslinger: 2 stages two-handed, 2 stages duelist, 2 stages gunfighter, shooter's choice, any powder

If I were King for a day...  I'd eliminate '97s and suppository pistols.  Since some of you ladies are opposed to that... they'd be allowed in Ladies categories...  As that ain't gonna happen, bring back the Modern & Traditional category.  All rifles, pistols and Shotguns designed after 1895 will be classed as Modern.  So, All Rugers and their derivatives will be Modern.  That alone would add 50% to all other categories!   Talk about participation trophies!!! :P

I'd be happy with just adding C & B Gunfighter, with 1860s & hammered doubles, minimum  of .40 caliber for rifle  & 16 ga for shotgun.  If they'd make the 44 CF Flat, that'd be the only chambering in the 1860.  But... since the C45S is so close to the 44CF Flat, it'll have to do.   Yes, and make a minimum of 15 yards for pistol,  20 yards for shotgun and 30 yards for rifle, farther would be encouraged.  The mantra would be:  "Shoot fast & miss often!" :ph34r: 

Category= Bushwhackers/Jayhawkers

Guns= four cap and ball revolvers + double barl shotgun of 20ga or larger limited to no reloads to allow use of  MLs

Costume= CW or earlier clothing attempt and four holsters on belt to accommodate twenty rounds

Shooting style=handguns must be fired Duelist  or two handed with Gunfighter specifically disallowed OR if allowed, must require immediate grounding of any gun or guns that fail to fire on first attempt. 

Other= lots of bonus points awarded for knife, tomahawk or hatchet throwing, though not specifically disallowed, bathing, shaving or brushing of the teeth on the night before match is frowned upon.

I'd like to see a big bore category, 40 cal and up, 12ga only. Shoot any style any sass legal guns.

The only change I would like to see in the current categories is age based categories are just that, aged based. In other words if you're 65 and can't beat the guys in your age group, picking categories and shooting against inexperienced 20 year olds who just started just so you can win a plaque, buckle, whatever.

We had a  "1875" category for a few years in Germany.

That was conversions only for pistols, +.40 cal lever gun model built before 1880 (no short strokes allowed in either pistols or lever gun), and hammered shot gun of 16 or 12 ga.

Ammo was either BP or nitro, MIP at least 120 for pistols and rifles.

The category met with considerable interest during the fist few years.

But it died off, unfortunately because eventually there were just not enough cowboys & cowgirls owning conversions because new licenses were/are difficult to come by.

Long Johns Wolf

A category that allows for Mare's Leg type pistols and for ON THE CLOCK loading up the magazines to capacity in 87's and 97's on every stage since it's never "written" into the stage descriptions.

Maybe a way to allow revolver carbines too, but that's more curiosity than practical.

After seeing so many folks with questions about arthritis or other problems, I wonder if a .22LR category for those might be something to consider? Maybe Plinker Category?

Oh, how about this for a variant?   Everything else stays the same, but your rifle has to be a "rifle caliber" one, with the targets a bit father out for safety.   And the Winchester 95 would be acceptable.   Reload for ten, or just 5 shots?  Could go either way.

Other option, add such a rifle to the existing ten ten four lineup.

Open Category -- Like B-western but without dress requirements.  Able to shoot any style on any stage.   Any legal gun/gear.

My list then would be:

Style Categories:

Open - shoot anything, any way. 

Duelist - if you want to only compete against the 1 handers

GF - if you want to only compete against the other GF

Equipment Modifiers (may modify the Styles above)

Cap - if you want to only compete against the other Cap & Ball folks 

Power Factor - 140+ power factor, compete against the other big boomers.  

Black Powder - compete against the other smokers

B-Western - Restricted version of Open, same as now

CC - restricted version of Duelist, same as now but could be modified by BP, or PF above.

Age Modifiers (may modify the styles above)

Senior - 60+

Elder Statesman - 70+

Junior - 16-

So, I want to shoot GF style I could shoot:

All the Open categories, GF, B-Western, Cap GF, BP GF, Power Factor GF

So I want to shoot Duelist I could shoot:

All the Open categories, Duelist, BP Duelist, Cap Duelist, Power Factor Duelist, B-Wester, CC

2 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Oh, how about this for a variant?   Everything else stays the same, but your rifle has to be a "rifle caliber" one, with the targets a bit father out for safety. ...

That would be Cody-Dixon category.  Some clubs around here have that.

No offence to anyone who likes other categories, but I'd arrange it by shooting style and powder type, no costume-based categories.  (Leave the costumes to cool factor and awards banquets.)  Also only three age classes: Under 16, 16-70, 70 and up.

Shooting styles:

• Two handed pistol (don't call it traditional)
  • Duelist
  • Gunfighter
  • Outlaw

Each of the above in Smokeless and Blackpowder

Let the ladies have equality and shoot in same categories as the men.  (Or is it the other way around?)

14 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

...In other words if you're 65 and can't beat the guys in your age group, picking categories and shooting against inexperienced 20 year olds who just started just so you can win a plaque, buckle, whatever.

There should be a Experience based category, rather than age.  But that would just complicate things.  Never mind.  THis is getting just too complicated.

On 12/21/2020 at 9:51 AM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

A category that allows for Mare's Leg type pistols and for ON THE CLOCK loading up the magazines to capacity in 87's and 97's on every stage since it's never "written" into the stage descriptions.

Maybe a way to allow revolver carbines too, but that's more curiosity than practical.

A shoot what you brought category, 

A 15 round count(less if using SG) and up to 3 guns allowed, you decide which 3 guns... rifles downloaded to 5, so revolving carbines (or stocked pistols) and mare's legs/trappers all have enough capacity for the stage... SG can have up to 4 in tube.  Typical stage would be used, stage writers (or hecklers in the posse) would just indicate what targets should or should not be engaged prior to beginning of stage.

less than 3 guns can be used with on the clock loading as long as the max round count in the gun doesn't exceed 5 for for rifles/pistols and 4 for SG

Any string of 5 rifle/pistol shots can be substituted by engaging 4 shotgun targets.

A Watermelon Termination with any of the following may be substituted for a string of 5 shots: (shooter must supply their own watermelon, cost to be offset by ammo not expended)

Bowie knife

Cavalry Saber

Tomahawk

fixed bayonet

detached bayonet

period correct camp tool

hard tack

rifle buttstock or pistol whip (rifle/pistol must be unloaded and shown clear first or a prop gun can be used)

etc.  

Watermelon will be considered terminated when the shot timer registers the complaint of the watermelon, or when the timing official decides the watermelon has had enough...

some possible combinations,

rifle, 2 pistols

1 pistol, 1 rifle, 1 shotgun (14 shots)

shotgun 2 pistols (14 shots)

2 pistols 1 saber (10 shots)

1 shotgun (12 shots, 8 minimum loaded on the clock, Stages with knockdown targets may omit the 1 gun option.  targets may need to be engaged more than once as most stages are not this prolific in SG targets.  Alternatively you can go Wyatt Erp vendetta style and unload the shotgun 12 times at one knockdown target... If you shoot this style often, I have a therapist who would like to meet you)

2 mare's legs in holsters and a shotgun (14 shots)

1 Schofield and two speed loaders :D

1 1858 Remmy with a couple spare cylinders

1 pistol 1 shotgun, shotgun reload (13 shots)

1 pistol 1 shotgun, pistol reload (14 shots)

1 LeMat and 1 sxs make any confederate state raider proud, cap 5 on LeMat before start and 5 after, load 4 on the clock for SxS, listen to all the laughing from people holding those dang Yankee rifles on the sidelines.

Advantages,

This would lower the bar of entry for people that don't care to borrow other's firearms.

It would allow a bunch of interesting but not high capacity firearms to be used...

no modification to normal stage layout. 

Fewer precious primers expended per stage

Stress relief for a match that isn't going to plan...

More participation trophys!

I'm joking about the watermelon... maybe... Merry Christmas Ya'll!

21 hours ago, Diamond Jake said:

There should be a Experience based category, rather than age.  But that would just complicate things.  Never mind.  THis is getting just too complicated.

^ Bingo.

On 12/15/2020 at 9:51 PM, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

Frontier cartridge classic cowboy! Had that category one time and it was awesome

Rafe

I would give that bad boy a go!!!

Only because as the ladies accuremwnts are different...I can dress as a Hootchie, and still meet the requirements!:wub:

Archived