SASS Wire Forum

Your ideal category

Buckshot Sheridan

With all the various categories that we have in SASS we have something for just about everyone. That being said if you could setup the rules for your ideal category, what would you do?  Would it be caliber specific, shooting style, equipment restricted?  If you were king for a day what would you want to see?

I've barely mudled my way through a match as a FCJWCCGF but if I could have exactly what would make me goosebumpy it would be CCFC.

Otherwise CC is superduper. :D

Waimea is right, Outlaw is the ultimate style for me too. I do wish I had made it 40 cal or larger when we were starting it. I would love to get rid of those tiny little 32's

There is a running joke with my buddy Montana Max. Probably 10 years ago when we met and he asked me “Does your brother also shoot Classic Cowboy?”  My immediate response, “No, he’s just a Wrangler.”  I”ll never live it down.

Classic is the perfect category for me.

Dutch

RealClassicCowboy.  That would have dress/leather/guns same as CC, but shooting style same as BW (any style), real black powder only, with a 150 power factor.  And of course I'd like a buckle, too, so I want SilverSeniorRealClassicCowboy. :)

3 hours ago, Doc Nelson #19958 said:

Frontier cartridge classic firefighter. Yes I do shoot this way a couple times a year.

Doc Nelson

So you have a fire extinguisher in each hand?  You might be handy to have around on dry days.

How about one handed or two handed anyway you want to work it.  Frontier  cartridge the same.  Of course ladies and Juniors the same.

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

RealClassicCowboy.  That would have dress/leather/guns same as CC, but shooting style same as BW (any style), real black powder only, with a 150 power factor. 

I second that, especially the last part! Find it kind of ridiculous to have big bore guns in CC if some shooters then try to download them to 38s level again. I'd still be happy with a PF of 120.

Equanimous Phil

11 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Everybody knows the perfect category is duelist.

Doolist is Coolist!!;)

For me, the perfect category already exists, Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter, no age breaks, just plain FCGF.  (Now if only I could teach my stupid left hand to be less stupid...:P)

As you mentioned, at this point there is a category that pretty much allows everyone to compete in anyway in which they choose.  Look at the chart below, look for something that ISN'T available.  There may be, but other than adding additional age breaks in that age based categories, I can't see it.  The only "exceptions" to that might be Frontiersman Duelist and Frontiersman Gunfighter, and although I have seen those offered at a few matches when there was enough people interested, for the most part competitors for those categories are almost non-existent.

SASS Official Category Matrix.pdf

Find a category that allows you to shoot the way you want, and I am SURE it's in there, and then enjoy the heck out of it!

1322149147_SASSOfficialCategoryMatrix.thumb.jpg.ccffe65bf6f98a9cc39d9b4b9574870d.jpg

I think it should be 2 cap&ball shot one handed, rifle loaded with max black powder, double barreled 16 ga or larger shotgun loaded with 1 oz or more of shot with equal vol. of black powder.  Come to think about it that is what I shot now in Frontiersman.  Just wish people would stop being upset with twist draw from military holsters. 

Frontiersman is pretty much the perfect category.   Only thing I might change is that all rifles are required to be a WCF caliber.  I would also be fine with gunfighter shooting style, the category already allows for double duelists, I don't see the harm in letting gunfighters shoot frontiersman. 

If I was king for a day I would double the distance on the rifle targets and halve the distance on the pistol targets.  To make shooters aim with the rifle, but just about be able to touch the pistol targets.  While I understand this is a game, to have to aim the rifle but still blaze away with the pistols would seem a little more like how things would have really been in an old west gunfight. 

Oh and if I were king I'd ban all smokeless categories.:P

I'd like to see a reduction in categories:

Duelist

Gunfighter

Black Powder

Two Handed 

Junior

Buckaroo

That's all we need! No ladies categories, they can shoot as well as the men some better!! Waaaay better!

7 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

That would finish S.A.S.S. off for good.

I agree!!

As well as a lot of CC and BW shooters would quit participate if you skip those requirements for all categories, imho.

edit: so, it's probably not "all we need"...?

1 hour ago, July Smith said:

Frontiersman is pretty much the perfect category.   Only thing I might change is that all rifles are required to be a WCF caliber.  I would also be fine with gunfighter shooting style, the category already allows for double duelists, I don't see the harm in letting gunfighters shoot frontiersman. 

If I was king for a day I would double the distance on the rifle targets and halve the distance on the pistol targets.  To make shooters aim with the rifle, but just about be able to touch the pistol targets.  While I understand this is a game, to have to aim the rifle but still blaze away with the pistols would seem a little more like how things would have really been in an old west gunfight. 

Oh and if I were king I'd ban all smokeless categories.:P

Dang!  I don't mind putting some range on my rifle shots, but I might have to cut down the barrels on my Colt Navys if the pistol targets get any closer.  :D

Angus

Catagories.  The adult version of "participation trophies."

There should be two:  "Competitive" and "Casual".

If you're there to win, shoot what you want (within the 'any main match . . .' list).  Shoot how you want.  Wear what you want.  You're in Competitive catagory.

If you want a friendly shoot with pards who dress the same and shoot the same and use the same propellant, you're in Casual catagory.

If you prefer to have catagories with five word titles and four active participants, enjoy your adult participarion trophy.

FCD but with the bore size of .40 caliber ( ie: .38 Wcf.  ) a true .40 caliber and up ...

And a Minimum charge of Black Powder of 2.7 cc ...

And Shotguns must be Hammered Doubles or Winchester 87s. or Clones ...

Jabez Cowboy

Nah.  None of the Above.  Frontiersman Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter.  Oh wait, that's Oxymoron.  Just plain old Frontiersman Gunfighter.  Although one has the option of shooting One's Cap Guns under the Parasol of Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter.

Oh, and let's ADD: Antique Frontiersman Gunfighter for us really old folks you betcha.

2 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

Would you skip the CC and BW clothing and gear requirements completely or would they be mandated for all categories? ...somehow  :ph34r:

Yes Skip them, dress Classic Cowboy or B Western if you like.

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I'd like to see a reduction in categories:

Duelist

Gunfighter

Black Powder

Two Handed 

Junior

Buckaroo

That's all we need! No ladies categories, they can shoot as well as the men some better!! Waaaay better!

I forgot the two handers, I fixed it for ya’ll!

Archived