SASS Wire Forum

Debating on a trade

DeaconKC

Okay, one of my "Grail Guns" was a Tommygun and I got one several years ago. Auto-ordnance M1 semi that runs like a scalded dog. However, I have not shot it for a while due to the fact it weighs a freaking ton. A guy wants to trade me out of it for a Uberti 73 24" in .44-40. RIfle is very nice, and at 6'3" the 24" length is fine for me. Just don't know if I want to part with the Tommy for a rifle that will see much more use. Opinions folks, thanks!

I figure the point of owning guns that aren't for carry is to go out and shoot them. Seems to me you got the enjoyment out of the Tommygun but the shininess has worn off. Meanwhile, you have the opportunity to turn it into a new-to-you gun which by your own admission would see a lot more use. I'd go for the gun I was going to shoot more...my two cents.

I try to look at it this way. Tomorrow is not guaranteed and I can't take anything with me. So I try to keep the things that either i enjoy using it looking at. If you feel that you would get more enjoyment out of the uberti then looking at the Tommy gun then make they trade. But if you get more enjoyment owning the Tommy gun then keep it. Enjoy what we have....

If you change your mind can you go out and easily buy another Tommy gun? If not, keep it. I have guns that I can no longer buy in this state, so they are just NOT up for sale, except to maybe fund my retirement or the kids college.

Can you load or find 44-40 ammo? Don't buy gun you can't find ammo for is how I look at it. The bidden/harris empire is gonna make it a felony to own that tommy anyway...

So you have a gun.

You want a different gun.

Check prices for each.

Work a deal.

But, sight unseen for both, I suspect the Tommy is worth more than a '73. So you should get some cash out of the deal.

Other than that, if you think you own something that does not bring you pleasure, think again. It owns you. Find someone it will bring pleasure to.

That Tommy gun ain't costing a penny to sit there. Got an idea that the price isn't going to go down anytime soon. I'd just sit tight with that one.

I own a gun shop and am a collector.

Even if they had equal values at this moment (which they do not) 

selling an appreciating item to acquire a depreciating item is never a good idea.

The Thompson is an investment - the 73 is a tool.  

It is your property; so do whatever you wish - but from an economic standpoint - keep the Thompson or at minimum; sell it outright and buy the 73.

Pocket a bit of cash and buy some 44-40.

One advantage I have is that I already do load for the .44-40, but he backed out. So I will hang on to the Tommy. Thanks guys.

Dress up like an 1920's era G-Man...

...get a friend or family member to catch a few photos of you wailing away on that Tommy Gun like you are Elliot Ness taking on the entire Chicago Mob singlehandedly.

Then the gun become yours forever - frozen in time.

You can even print it out in black and white on photo paper to make it that much more period correct.

Then trade that bad boy for a cowboy gun.

73 can be had just about any day of the week if you can afford to buy one. They are not unique and generally/usually not hard to find. (This shortage will pass) I inherited a nice gun collection. 99% of the guns were guns that I never shot and never would shoot.  I ended up selling most of them to serious collectors for some serious money and getting guns and "Things" that I wanted more at the time. Now I wish that I had kept some of the more special guns. So... If you need the 73 and can just buy it, then do it. If you need the 73 and don't have the disposable funds to just buy it, then trade off your Tommy Gun, but get a little boot.  

Snakebite

15 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

One advantage I have is that I already do load for the .44-40, but he backed out. So I will hang on to the Tommy. Thanks guys.

Whew...I was sweating this one and I ain't even involved. I wouldn't have traded the Tommy for a complete 4 gun set up for CAS. But that's just me.

youre the only one that knows for sure but ive made a number of trades like this in the last few years , ive never looked back at my decisions , ive been very happy with my new , active , items without ever missing what i parted with , but then i dont part with anything these days i think i might want to keep , i dont have to - i chose to , and i can live with it quite nicely , 

in the past i had a totally different experience of having to part with things [ive replaced all of those] i dont have to sell one to buy one anymore , nor do i sell them for financial reasons anymore , but i would understand if someone does , my advice is always keep what you cannot part with , if your not attached its trading stock , 

Archived