SASS Wire Forum

Hot 45 loads in 1873

Irish Pat

Same as always, stick to SAAMI level factory loads in any toggle action rifle.   No +P or other ammo that exceeds SAAMI pressure levels.  Uberti and Miroku both proof to the SAAMI and CIP pressure limits.

Good luck, GJ

I don't believe the toggle link firearms were intended for high pressure loads.  The 92 will hold up better to these loads.

Apparently some of the reproduction toggle-link action rifles are set up for .44 Magnum.  NOT sure which ones.  Presumably, those that are, are safe for factory loads in that cartridge.  HOWEVER...I am not sure which ones, and prudence would dictate to limit loads to those recommended in most handloading handbooks.

31 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Apparently some of the reproduction toggle-link action rifles are set up for .44 Magnum.  NOT sure which ones.  Presumably, those that are, are safe for factory loads in that cartridge.  HOWEVER...I am not sure which ones, and prudence would dictate to limit loads to those recommended in most handloading handbooks.

Don't believe I would feed them a steady diet of Buffalo Bore's 44 mag hunting offerings. ^_^

A buddy loads 45 Colt with FFg and FFFg APP under 250 grain RNFPs and people swear he's shooting a 6 lb canon. He's gonna try those on deer this season out of his Uberti '66. (Same toggle link action.) I'm sure they'll work fine.

Grandson has deer taken with a Uberti 66 in .44-40 loaded with 38 gr. FFFg Goex pushing a Big Lubed 200 gr RNFP.  My 73 in .45 Colt, Star-Line case fulled 1/4" above bullet seating depth with FFFg Gorx and compressed .25" a .060 wod and a PRS 250 gr RNFP, has put 1000's down range without anything breaking.  Will shoot through and through a hog dropping them both.

Archived