SASS Wire Forum

Cattle/Horse Drives

H. S. Peacemaker

While on a cattle drive and or horse drive did cowboys carry their pistols in their holsters?  I know the SAA was a tool used for mending fences and other things, but would find it hard to believe that they would carry their rigs in saddle bags while on a round up.  We attempt to be period correct by not using Buscadero rigs, as they came about around the 1920's and the SAA would not have been as secure while riding.  If cowboys didn't in fact carry their pistols while on drives why would the holster matter?  Yes, my late 50's early 60's childhood western TV watching wants to say that cowboys did in fact always wear their rigs.  Would appreciate some direction on this all important matter.   :)

Thanks, H.S. Peacemaker

I would say "Yes". And I would bet that many carried them just the way the Cavalry did. They may have used pommel holsters as well.

Here are a few photos

True Texas Cowboys - True West MagazineThe Golden Age of the American Cowboy | American Experience | Official Site  | PBS John C.H. Grabill photo the Cowboy late 1800s | Etsy Famed African American cowboy Nat "Deadwood Dick" Love (late 1800s) :  OldSchoolCool

I understand they may have had a revolver rolled up in a coat behind the cantle or in a saddle bag. They had enough to do when roping the steed of the day, saddling and topping off. A revolver bouncing around on your hip would be a problem. I have tried it and the rev wound up under me and my tailbone still hurts. This is when your steed does not want you with him. And, if you have never been bucked off you have not done any riding. Still, I think some did pack revs and maybe rifles.

Some books I've  read say cowpokes wore sidearms and some say no.  In one case I believe in Montana the cowboys were not to have anything on themselves or the horse that would interfere with working cattle.  If there was a risk of problems with hostile Indians or rustlers they typically stationed outriders to perform that exact duty.

MS

I've watched a lot of Hollywood westerns. So I'm an expert. Anything on your hip flopping around when riding is not good, try jumping off a horse and dogging a calf/steer.

Logic tells me they didn't want them carrying pistols because if one of them shot to kill a snake, rabbit etc the herd may stampede!

History says that by the time the big cattle drives were taking place the indians were no longer much of an issue.

Most of these pictures were staged so accuracy about daily wear is suspect.

Yes they did and still do.  It may be in a saddle bag, pommel bag, scabbard or in a holster.  Most cowboys that I have worked with have also desensitized their horse to gun fire, that way when the lightening arrives the horse spooks less. 

Many outfits during spring and fall works did not allow anyone to pack their iron. They were kept in the chuck wagon or hoodlum wagon.

Much like gambling and drinking was not allowed on the wagon.

Rules to prevent trouble and still enforced today on large traditional outfits.

A  good read on Cattle drives "The Log of a Cowboy", available on Amazon is a narrative of a cattle drive taking place in the late 1800's, from south Texas to Montana. Some of the cowboys in this book wore pistols, some did not. Part of the reason Ft Sill was built where it is was to protect cattle drives from hostile Indians. 

MS

While it is true that many bosses didn't allow their punchers to pack during trail drives or roundups so as to prevent altercations from arising, it depended on the timeframe and the location.  It is true that some of those photos might have been staged, but some were not. The interesting thing is how many cowboys wore their sixguns on the left side for a crossdraw.  Why? Because the gun was less likely to interfere with twirling a rope (for a righthanded cowboy).  Likely, a southpaw would do the opposite, but pack his iron butt forward on the right side.  For authenticity, I would look at paintings by Charlie Russell.  Granted, he might have included them for style, but his paintings were so based on his observations and his own practices.  Having a gun might save your life, if you were thrown from your horse, got a foot hung up in the stirrup and had to shoot your horse!  Also, in case the horse stepped in a prairie dog hole and broke a leg, you might need to put it ought of its misery.  Other uses might include running onto a bear or rustlers. One question to be considered is gun retention.  Some just relied on the holster being cut high and tight, while others might make use of a hammer thong, or even some type of flap or strap.  As far as the guns flopping around is concerned, note in the photos that most wore their guns high and tight to the body.  Speed of the draw wasn't much of a consideration.  Having packed a handgun on a number of  hunts on horseback, I will testify as to the comfort and access of a properly designed rig worn high and butt-forward where it was accessible, but out of the way.

Stay well and safe, Pards! Happy Holidays!

My Grandad drove a herd from Texas to what is now Alberta Canada with a 1860 Colt in a straight hang holster Butt Forward on his left side ... High and close ...

On a couple of occasions he added a second Belt and Holster and a 1851 Navy when he was expecting Trouble...

Jabez Cowboy

Archived