SASS Wire Forum

1851s Holster/Rig Recommendations

Dusty Coalhopper

Evenin' all,

I've been watching the game from a distance (muzzleloading competitor) and have decided to jump into the game!   There are certainly a million and 1 things to figure out and tweak before I settle into equipment/costume/personna, I've been around enough blocks to know to keep reading and more importantly, to go to matches and ask!   For now, I've picked this topic to start off...... 

I plan to stick with my C&B shooters (1851 7.5's)  (Disclaimer:  FULLY aware of what I'm getting into and the troubles of driving these fast.  Will ask about that in another post later.)  Being of the muzzleloading upbringing, I've never needed to wear a rig.  I've read some posts here about trying a few on and such and will do my part to research.  But given the vast experience here, what are your opinions on leather setup for the 1851s.  (Thinking frontiersman / Classic Cowboy categories)  Am I limited to the Slim Jim's, will any make/model work so long as I indicate model and barrel length?  Any tanner recommendations to look up?   Thoughts?

Many thanks in advance,

Dusty 

I don't shoot C&B, but welcome to the place! Great bunch here.

Just about all cowboy action holster makers will make you whatever you want and will fit it to your frame size and barrel length. You could go with a classic slim Jim style or go all the way with a cut down gamer style rig. The choice is yours. 

Any holster that fits them will work for SASS.  Highly recommend that you attend a match and ask a lot of questions.  One of them should be who made the holsters your fellow shooters are using.  Lots of good leather smiths out there that are likely local to you and can build a custom rig that is affordable. Also keep an eye on the classifieds.  You can even put a WTB (want to buy) on the classifieds with what you are looking for. You might get lucky.  

If you are interested in maintaining a traditional style, then slim jim (aka California style) holsters with a plain belt are the way to go.  This style is basically just a pouch with a belt loop sewn to the back (or the front, if you are going for a twist or crossdraw style).  The pouch can have a smooth, continuous seam or more closely contoured to the shape of the holster.  It may have a retention flap or strap, or not.  An authentic reproduction may be seen at www.gunfighter.com/trailrider click on Holster 2., The Utah Scout.

But there is no hard and fast rule.  Mexican loop style holsters might be used with the M1851 Colt's, as guns were expensive back in the day, and not likely to be discarded, and the loop style holster could be made or bought quite easily.

Welcome to the campfire, Pard!

Stay well and safe!

http://www.carricoleather.com/home/instockspecials.html.  U.S Issue Civil War Holster

https://www.oldwestreproductions.com   https://www.oldwestreproductions.com/products/details.cfm?id=54   I have used when not using U.S Issue Civil War Holster and left side mate.

Two very good makers that I like a lot.  Have used for 15-20 years.  I have always used Slim Jims even for a Schofield and a Texas Longhorn Arms.

I say stick with Slim Jims.  They are "right" for your Navies. It is more important to look good than shoot good.  So, look good while getting better at shooting. If you get to the point where they are slowing you down too much, well that's far enough down the road that a lot of other things will probably be changed as well.  

Pietta .44 1851 Sheriff #2.jpgI bought the first 1851 with a form-fit Slim Jim from the holster maker (Badman Leather - R.I.P.), then had him make a second holster when I acquired a 2nd revolver.
Made the belt and added the buckle to finish the rig,

When you get ready there is an excellent article written by Larson Pettifogger on how to make your 51's dependable and fast. Search the wire here. You can do the work yourself. First thing though is change the nipples out to Tresco or Slix. Avoid caps falling off running the pistols fast.

The wire doesn't disappoint, that's for sure!  Thank you all for your insights and perspectives. 

18 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

It is more important to look good than shoot good.  So, look good while getting better at shooting. 

Haha..  This.   A scuba instructor once told me, "It all does the same thing, so pick gear that looks good. " hahaha.   But in all honesty, I'd like to be fairly period correct, though I do like the look of the looped holsters.   It seems the Slim Jims are more in line with the times.  Not knowing any better, I am a bit concerned getting hung drawing from a long narrow holster.  No grand illusions on being fast.  I just wanna have fun and make folks smile.  

Dusty

7 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

When you get ready there is an excellent article written by Larson Pettifogger on how to make your 51's dependable and fast. Search the wire here. You can do the work yourself. First thing though is change the nipples out to Tresco or Slix. Avoid caps falling off running the pistols fast.

Thanks Irish.  The Nipples are an easy upgrade I intend to do.   I did download a series of files from the wire regarding improving the open tops.  I can't recall who the original poster was, but I assume these to be what you are referring to.  While I will try to sift through some history on here, I'll likely post separately to talk about getting these 51s runnin better and such.  Many thanks!

Dusty

The holsters posted by Palewolf look as fast as any  I have seen and yet give up nothing in original style.  If I remember correctly these were called Missouri Skin Tights back in the day.  Another holster that maintains a great deal of originality while still being able to walk the walk with some of the speed rigs, to a degree, is the Prospector Rig by Kirkpatrick.  The Prospector  is actually just a standard Slim Jim BUT done in heavier and lined leathers, more like commonly popular style SASS holsters used today.   Remember, just like with the SAA, it makes a slight difference when the barl is shortened  on the c&b revolver and the holsters belt loop is dropped a tad and there you are changing the look.   

Archived