SASS Wire Forum

RWS Percussion Caps?

Tequila Shooter

Here is a link to a post about caps/nipples for cap-n-ball revolvers:

http://guntoters.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Percussion-Caps-and-Nipples2.pdf

At one time, RWS were considering the hottest cap going.  Never had a problem when I shot them and would highly recommend them.  They just got a bit too dear for my wallet.  

The RWS 1075 (AKA #11) caps are a rigidly built cap that can be hard to seat unless they fit just right. The Remington #10 and the CCI #11 are close in size too. About 1/3 of my pistols will accept the RWS 1075s, another 1/3 will take the CCI#11s but ALL of my pistols will take the Remington #10s or I will swap out the nipples til they do. The RWS#1055 (AKA#10) is too small to fit anything I use. The Rem #10 is very versatile because it is pre-split so the petals of the cup will begin to flare as you seat it so it grabs onto a much greater variety of nipple sizes and tapers. The RWS and CCI caps are sturdier but far less forgiving as to which nipples they will fit for reliable ignition. A heavy hammer fall can overcome a less than fully seated cap to fire it off on the first whack. You can always squeeze a cap out of round to make it fit but they aren't as reliable about staying on under recoil.

I thought I could get some caps... but not knowing about them ... 

so, I checked with my suppliers and can get CCI #10s and #11... NO Remington #10s. 

IF I can be of assistance... let me know via email and I will TRY to help out. No promises because this is a product that I don’t usually carry... :wub:

bulletsbyscarlett@gmail.com

Merry Christmas!

Scarlett

Reading this info seems we might be buying caps then nipples to fit them...Used to be we buy nipples then fit the caps...May have to buy sets of nipples to match what the needs or what we can find for the day...Interesting times we live in....

Texas Lizard

I guess if all fails, I can go back to 44-40 or 45 Colt black powder rounds...Still have a fair amount of primers around....

Well, I bet the bullet and placed an order for 2500 RWS caps from MidwayUSA.  I will pick up curbside so no hasmat fees.  I won't pick them up until next week but I'll report back when I try them out.  I only have Pietta with stock nipples so... 

32 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Well, I bet the bullet and placed an order for 2500 RWS caps from MidwayUSA.  I will pick up curbside so no hasmat fees.  I won't pick them up until next week but I'll report back when I try them out.  I only have Pietta with stock nipples so... 

Looking forward to the review.

15 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

RWS have always worked awesome on my stock piettas, 1860s

We drove over to MidwayUSA and picked up the RWS caps this morning.  I tried one on one stock Pietta nipple and it appears to fit well.  I couldn't pull it of with my fingernail.  I used a screwdriver to rake it off and even then met with some reluctance.  I think they are going to do fine. It may be a while before I'm able to test under fire.  The weather predictions for the week are not good - rain, freezing mix, ice, snow.

10 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

We drove over to MidwayUSA and picked up the RWS caps this morning.  I tried one on one stock Pietta nipple and it appears to fit well.  I couldn't pull it of with my fingernail.  I used a screwdriver to rake it off and even then met with some reluctance.  I think they are going to do fine. It may be a while before I'm able to test under fire.  The weather predictions for the week are not good - rain, freezing mix, ice, snow.

I think you got my caps :ph34r:  Just kidding Warden, I ordered 2,500 from Midway and UPS lost them.  They made it to one of the UPS distribution centers near me on 14 Dec and that’s where they stayed.  I called Midway this morning and they had to report the package as lost and refunded my money.  Of course they don’t have them in stock anymore, thanks 2020 for another gift.

18 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I think you got my caps :ph34r:  Just kidding Warden, I ordered 2,500 from Midway and UPS lost them.  They made it to one of the UPS distribution centers near me on 14 Dec and that’s where they stayed.  I called Midway this morning and they had to report the package as lost and refunded my money.  Of course they don’t have them in stock anymore, thanks 2020 for another gift.

That's a tough break.  They my come yet. 

I've had good luck three times recently with MidwayUSA and primers.  Everything was sold out but CCI #11 caps. I ordered 1k and got them.  Soon they were sold out.  Then I was checking and they got in some Winchester large pistol primers - limit 1k per customer.  I didn't take time to ponder and ordered a brick.  They went stock out almost immediately.  Now the RWS primers are gone.  

1 minute ago, Warden Callaway said:

That's a tough break.  They my come yet. 

I've had good luck three times recently with MidwayUSA and primers.  Everything was sold out but CCI #11 caps. I ordered 1k and got them.  Soon they were sold out.  Then I was checking and they got in some Winchester large pistol primers - limit 1k per customer.  I didn't take time to ponder and ordered a brick.  They went stock out almost immediately.  Now the RWS primers are gone.  

Looks like it pays to be near a big gun supplier, hell my LGS doesn’t even handle reloading supplies.  Let me know how those RWS’s work out, now get back to making those grips. :P

3 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Looks like it pays to be near a big gun supplier, hell my LGS doesn’t even handle reloading supplies.  Let me know how those RWS’s work out, now get back to making those grips. :P

We're blessed by having Grafs and Sons just up the road and MidwayUSA just a bit further.  Also a Bass Pro but I don't shop there.  Most gun stores carry some reloading supplies around here. 

Always had really go luck with RWS Caps Been using them since the 70s .....

Rem Caps were often hit and Miss as to Quality ....

Jabez Cowboy

Archived