SASS Wire Forum

I think I have a problem!

Help us, help you.

Caliber?

Bullet weight, and diameter?

And velocity if you know it? (powder and charge would help)

As a commercial reloader for cas shooters, (now retired) I would look at bullet diameter first.

It appears to me it may be under sized for the barrel.

Next is chamber throat smaller than barrel diameter.

I round OO Buck.  One pellet got away from you.

.22 caliber.

What brand ammunition?

Years ago, I shot a lot of .22s.

In my rifles and revolvers, I found that some brands where okay.

Some brands where made by some people in third world countries using rocks and hammers to shape the bullets.

And I found a brand and one of their products shot the most accurate and consistently than any other in all my .22 guns.

That was CCI Mini Mags. (long rifle)

The worst was Aguila long rifle .22.

They all fired but at 50' to target, I would get a 8" to 10" pattern out of every box.

I had fun challenging others and giving them the Aguilas and I shot the CCI mini mags.

The look I saw on their faces was priceless until they found out what I was doing.

Remmington makes some very accurate ammunition but I do not remember which of theirs it was.

I have only shot the CCI in my guns since the 70's.

Even in 50 yards I'm amazed he hit the target, sending that .223 bullet down that .308 hole in that M1 garand barrel.

I'm even more amazed that he managed to make it go off.

3 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

M1 Garand,  .22 long rifle cartridge, range 50 yards. 

And it is still a crummy target. 

I think I see your problem. Just how many rounds did you stuff into the clip? Appears you got more than one “pew” per trigger pull. :D

Not bad 50 shots at 15 yards. 

13 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

M1 Garand,  .22 long rifle cartridge, range 50 yards. 

And it is still a crummy target. 

Well, here's a problem. The Garand  fires  30.06...

Also, this is a  50 FOOT target. You need a 50 YARD target to properly judge accuracy.

:rolleyes::P:lol:

22 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

just try a target with a bigger middle bit ........ and sneak up about 45 yards .....   ;)

I had to step back a step or two, so I didn't leave powder burns on the target. 

Do you think I need new glasses?

I watched a friend do worse  

he found his uncles 1950 era gov made 1911

his first target with old hard ball had 2 holes out 7 in the paper  NONE in the rings at all 

for the buckshot jokes  it wrong to give a friend #4 buck for TRAP ?? he was bragging how good he was till I passed him my shotgun 

The first time my dad ever let me shoot his .22 pistol (I was about 17) I set up some tin cans along the ground and shot at them from about 30 feet away. They didn't move. So I stepped forward to about 25 feet away. Again, nuthin'. Finally I crept up to about 15 feet away and in ten rounds finally managed to hit one of them. That was the first time I realized that those Hollywood action heroes who can drill a bad guy 100 yards away hip-firing with a Walther PPK were full of it.

And yes, for the record I'm a lot better shot nowadays!

Can't believe none of you spotted the problem.

That pattern can be reduced to less than half the spread with one very simple change.

Move the ruler to the right so the ruler zero lines up with the left-most hole in the target. Then looking at where the last hole aligns on the right, the group will far less than half the size. Might even be a third of the size.

I love when a simple change instantly improves my shooting by that much.

11 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

Can't believe none of you spotted the problem.

That pattern can be reduced to less than half the spread with one very simple change.

Move the ruler to the right so the ruler zero lines up with the left-most hole in the target. Then looking at where the last hole aligns on the right, the group will far less than half the size. Might even be a third of the size.

I love when a simple change instantly improves my shooting by that much.

You sir, are a genius.

Archived