SASS Wire Forum

Open mouth before engaging brain

:FlagAm: Annie and I were discussing ideas for her birthday 9JAN.  Last year we drove over to Silver City, NM and stayed in a historic hotel and visited with some shooting pards.  Anyways, without any regard to fact finding, etc, I suggested hooking up the travel trailer and spending several days at the Grand Canyon.  Annie was so impressed I came up with such a wondrous idea and the reservation for five nights at the campground on the south rim was made.  So Annie, myself and Riley the rescue dog are going to freeze our behinds off.

January is the coldest month with average highs at 44F and average overnight lows at a balmy 18F.  Yesterday A.M. it was 2F.  Remember now that we live in Phoenix.  In the ten years of owning the trailer, only twice have we been at an actual campground.  Dry camping at shoots and stopping the night at rest stops while traveling has been the norm.  

Holiday Rambler 32' with a 13' slide out.  Sealed underbelly.  There is an electric fireplace in living area and I plan on a plug into the outlet space heater in the bedroom.  The propane furnace supposedly does blow some warm air into the bottom to keep tanks from freezing.  Plan on using the electric to heat as much as possible to conserve propane.  I was also thinking of placing a small space heater inside the compartment where the tank valves and water hookup are.  Not sure yet as to purchasing a heated water hose or just fill the tank and use the pump. Fresh water capacity is 110 gallons and has lasted way longer than five days in the past.

So I am looking for any solid advisement and words of wisdom regarding this new venture.  It only got to 27F at night in TN this past Oct.

Thanks for any info provided and words of encouragement.  And my truck will probably never talk to me again.

Chas B Wolfson:wacko:

And my truck will probably never talk to me again.

When I was young and dumb our scout troop had Snow camps ..

where we live it really never gets cold a ruff winter day is 45 

once we build Igloos it was not bad  with propane tent heater we got one to 60

better than any tent made 

good luck

Sounds like your on target. A water hookup will freeze. Use the pump and refill as needed. Heat any space you can that has water lines in it. 

And a very happy early birthday!

If your fresh water or black water valves hang out under the belly of the trailer...wrap a heat tape and some insulation around them 

Just be careful if you are using any internal combustion engine, whether your vehicle or whatever, to be sure to ventilate the place where you are staying, and have the exhaust well away from where it can send carbon monoxide into the habitat space!  That goes for your furnace in your house!  Just had a couple killed by CO!

Stay home and vegetate.  It sounds boring, but it has advantages.  If folks know you'll be there they will come and visit adieu can go out for a couple of hours and sleep in a warm bed.

I just love having an option like that.

6 hours ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

If your fresh water or black water valves hang out under the belly of the trailer...wrap a heat tape and some insulation around them 

THIS^^^^

Even if the tank doesn't freeze the drain lines can freeze and crack the fittings. This can be a real problem when dry camping and getting from the camp to a dump station. Repairs can get really expensive. 

Consider dumping a gallon of cheap RV anti-freeze into each gray/black tank.

I never put RV anti-freeze in my fresh water tanks. I use one of these in conjunction with my air compressor to blow out all the lines.

Drain hot water heater and then close the drain. Drain fresh water tank. Run RV pump till it blows air at each fresh water faucet. Connect the air adapter to the city water connection. Connect to about 30 PSI air. Then one at a time open each faucet till is blows air. Redrain hot water heater and all low point drain fittings. 

We've camped hooked to shore power down to 0 degrees. The furnace and elec. heater will keep you and your tanks warm. The only issue are the waste lines below the belly. I wrapped mine with heat tape. Otherwise the line will freeze solid.  If you can make 4 days using your water tank you won't need to hook up to water. If you do need to use site  water then you'll need a heat tape water hose.

In the winter time, you go south to go camping.  You do not go where it goes down to 2 degrees F.  For example,  South of Orlando in Florida is a good area.  My Appalachian trail hiking days taught me that the rating on a sleeping bag means that if the temperature drops below that rating, your friends will not be able to revive you in the morning.  Good luck and have fun.  It will be an adventure.

The rating on a sleeping bag is the SURVIVAL rating not the comfort rating. 

A zero degree bag will keep ya alive to 0 but after about 25 degrees ya won't be comfortable. 

Winter camped in an rv I usually add antifreeze to the black and gray tank and tote my water in jugs or carboys. No worries about lines freezing. Used a little ceramic heater if plugged in to shore power. I boil water for coffee and use a french press. One burner heats the whole rig enough to be comfortable. 

With no shore power one night usually equals one battery with the furnace going. Never did more than 3-4 days though

53 minutes ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Choose some place warmer for her birthday and go to the Grand Canyon during warmer times and have fun.

:FlagAm: We have never been there during winter months.  Hoping to have some snow on the ground, changes the visual perspective.  And with us planning the move to TN this summer, few opportunities will be available.

Chas B

The truck whisperer

2 minutes ago, Chas B. Wolfson, SASS #11104 said:

:FlagAm: We have never been there during winter months.  Hoping to have some snow on the ground, changes the visual perspective.  And with us planning the move to TN this summer, few opportunities will be available.

Chas B

The truck whisperer

As long as you are prepared it will be a wonderful trip that you will remember a long time.  Post up some photos to share with the rest of us sometime.

Archived