SASS Wire Forum

Spencer Magazine spring

NettlesWorth

My Spencer carbine in 45 Long colt seems to have worn out the magazine spring. It not longer feeds properly. Can anyone  recommend a good source to order a replacement? 

Also, anyone have problems with fired rounds sticking in the chamber? Not certain if my loads are to strong as the dummy rounds (used) to cycle with no problem. 

Amy information on the above two questions would be appreciated. 

Thank you, 

Nettlesworth  

Have you disassembled the follower and then cleaned and oiled it? There might be some rust or dirt that is impeding the spring. I have had mine for 17 years without any problems.

• 1 month later...

Checked the spring again. It seems fine. The problem seems to be, the round (s) following the initial/first round into the chamber catch on the follower and I can't close the receiver and chamber the round. Examining these bullets, it looks like the catch is hitting the tip of the lead bullet as they show a slight indentation. 

Anyone else having this problem? If so, what steps did you take to solve it?  

Looking forward to some warm weather and getting to the range.  As always, I appreciate any and all feedback. 

Could you be loading too long a cartridge overall length (OAL)? 

Your multiple uses of  the word "catch" in your description with possibly several different meanings has me confused with what your problem might be.

good luck, GJ

As for stuck cases after firing -

Is chamber perfectly clean?  No corrosion or fouling, as shown by inspection with a bore light?

Loading data conforms to published loads in a recognized loading manual?   Factory loads stick when fired?   Not a lot of folks intentionally overload the .45 Colt cartridge any more because it starts kicking a little bit.

good luck, GJ

19 hours ago, NettlesWorth said:

Checked the spring again. It seems fine. The problem seems to be, the round (s) following the initial/first round into the chamber catch on the follower and I can't close the receiver and chamber the round. Examining these bullets, it looks like the catch is hitting the tip of the lead bullet as they show a slight indentation. 

Anyone else having this problem? If so, what steps did you take to solve it?  

Looking forward to some warm weather and getting to the range.  As always, I appreciate any and all feedback. 

What bullet profile/shape are you loading?

What's your load?

OLG 

Archived