SASS Wire Forum

coulda sworn i saw a favorite song or artist thread

watab kid

but i seem to be mistaken , 

i know we all have them and most have lots of them ,there were so many i was a fan of ;  im a country fan , big band fan , crooners fan , motown fan , loved moody blues/ doors /janis  but i found ruby starr in the 70s and kinda have always had a fondness - burnin whiskey , 

https://sonichits.com/video/Ruby_Starr/Burnin'_Whisky

Are you asking us to name favorite artists and favorite songs by said artists? Regardless of genre? I like music, period Classical, jazz, big band, older country, rock, r&b, yes, even older hip hop. As I've mentioned before, my favorite band will depend on my mood and maybe the day of the week, but can be narrowed down to two, Led Zeppelin and Rush.

My favorite Zeppelin song is Since I've Been Loving You, with The Rain Song being a close second. Interestingly, I couldn't bring myself to listen to the former for a number of years after a failed relationship, but that's a long story.

My favorite Rush song is much harder to narrow down. I'm one of those now middle-aged Gen-Xers that the late Neil Peart seemed to be speaking to in so many of his lyrics, and the musicianship of the band was amazing not only on vinyl, but live as well. If I had to choose just one, I would have to go with the first song of theirs that I heard that made me sit up and take notice, 2112.

Having said all of that, I think the single greatest piece of music ever written, the one that gives me hope for humanity, is Ludwig von Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 in D minor. I cannot listen to it without it giving me chills. I'm biased, but this is my favorite performance. My oldest daughter is in the choir, just to the left (right as you view it) of the massive pipe organ.

21 hours ago, DocWard said:

Are you asking us to name favorite artists and favorite songs by said artists? Regardless of genre? I like music, period Classical, jazz, big band, older country, rock, r&b, yes, even older hip hop. As I've mentioned before, my favorite band will depend on my mood and maybe the day of the week, but can be narrowed down to two, Led Zeppelin and Rush.

My favorite Zeppelin song is Since I've Been Loving You, with The Rain Song being a close second. Interestingly, I couldn't bring myself to listen to the former for a number of years after a failed relationship, but that's a long story.

My favorite Rush song is much harder to narrow down. I'm one of those now middle-aged Gen-Xers that the late Neil Peart seemed to be speaking to in so many of his lyrics, and the musicianship of the band was amazing not only on vinyl, but live as well. If I had to choose just one, I would have to go with the first song of theirs that I heard that made me sit up and take notice, 2112.

Having said all of that, I think the single greatest piece of music ever written, the one that gives me hope for humanity, is Ludwig von Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 in D minor. I cannot listen to it without it giving me chills. I'm biased, but this is my favorite performance. My oldest daughter is in the choir, just to the left (right as you view it) of the massive pipe organ.

Doc, I can't disagree with what ya said there, except for on the Zep tunes. "Since I've Been Loving You" is absolutely one of their best, but I tend to give the nod to "In My Time of Dying". Bonham and Page are just so incredibly tight on that tune.

I will admit that the Missus calls it the "Cheezit song". :lol:

12 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Doc, I can't disagree with what ya said there, except for on the Zep tunes. "Since I've Been Loving You" is absolutely one of their best, but I tend to give the nod to "In My Time of Dying". Bonham and Page are just so incredibly tight on that tune.

I will admit that the Missus calls it the "Cheezit song". :lol:

In My Time of Dying is definitely an amazing piece. Page's slide guitar work, Bonham's near frenetic kick drum in the right places, Plant in top form, and JPJ holding everything together. But at that point, we're talking purely subjective as to "favorite." I certainly can't fault you for it being yours! Just like I can't fault my youngest daughter for Tangerine being hers, or my oldest daughter for No Quarter as hers. They are all simply awesome songs in their own ways. Generally, the only people I fault are those who say Stairway to Heaven, because they often have a hard time naming four other Zeppelin songs to round out a Top Five, let alone nine for a Top Ten. In other words, they aren't true fans of the band!

2 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Ronnie James Dio. 

I have several friends who would stone me for what I am about to say, but he was never one of my favorites. I can't pinpoint why. Having said that, hearing him sing Black Sabbath live is simply incredible, in the bone chilling, "did I just hear that, that was amazing" sense of the word.

32 minutes ago, DocWard said:

I have several friends who would stone me for what I am about to say, but he was never one of my favorites. I can't pinpoint why. Having said that, hearing him sing Black Sabbath live is simply incredible, in the bone chilling, "did I just hear that, that was amazing" sense of the word.

After I saw him live and then back with most of Sabbath i couldn't get enough. One of the most powerful performances I've ever seen. 

Archived