SASS Wire Forum

Will this work for a gun cart?

DeaconKC

16 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I made one from a baby jogging stroller and learned an important lesson.  I mounted the long guns towards the back, and put a removable wooden box over the front wheel.  The box makes it tippy to use on steep slopes.  On my winter to do list is to re-make the cart so the box is behind the front wheel.  

I have the large box centered, the firearms behind the axle leaning toward the handle, and a small box on each side of the front tire which holds shot gun shells for balance.

I have made several.

Here is my first one from 2001.  It holds 7 long guns and a lot of stuff.

The front has an antique wooden chair that used to be a rocker out of Great Grandpa Joe's house.

And there is an umbrella stand just aft of the seat.

Now I am working on a motorized replica of the Henry Ford Quadricycle to tote our gear and guns.

DSC00522_088gunwagonsm.JPG

My version.  You need to keep the center of gravity low as it can be top heavy.  I keep extra ammo in base to bring CG down.  Also, tires and tubes are poor quality.  After a couple of years I replaced them with better grade tires, tubes and rim liners from E bay.  Large wheels are very helpful on uneven and rough ground.   :FlagAm:

2018-06-28 18.38.26.jpg

2018-06-28 18.37.56.jpg

I bought mine from Dirty Duggen back in 98 or 99. Comes apart, wheels and axel, Empty brass box comes out for trunk transport. 

I have a truck and just roll it in on it's back.

Big Jake 1001

guncart1.jpg

guncart2.jpg

guncart8.jpg

guncart5.jpg

guncart3.jpg

Well, went to a consignment shop today and found a jogging stroller for $12. So now I will start experimenting with it. As our next match is 3 1/2 weeks away I have some time to work it out. Keep the ammo low as possible for stability and rig a mount for the rifle and shotgun. Wish me luck!

3 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

Well, went to a consignment shop today and found a jogging stroller for $12. So now I will start experimenting with it. As our next match is 3 1/2 weeks away I have some time to work it out. Keep the ammo low as possible for stability and rig a mount for the rifle and shotgun. Wish me luck!

Take your time, be patient and good luck.

10 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

Well now you need to start looking at what people have done to jogging strollers.  Plenty out there have done so!  A suggestion would be to paint it a bright color or put a flag on it or something to make it easier to spot in a sea of Rugged Gear carts. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, experimental prototype Mark 1 is ready for trials. Going to try to keep it as simple as possible. Loops attached to the ammo crate for the butts of the long guns with more loops up higher for the fore ends. Ammo crate for stability and to hold ammo and empties [bagged], trying to keep weight down and do have room under the seat for another 30 cal ammo can. Suggestions on what are essentials for the cart. The truck is not far, so major/rarely needed stuff can actually stay there.

WIXwZsn.jpg

MWSalGO.jpg

So far, so good.  Will you be able to walk up to it with two long guns in your hands and set them in the cart securely enough until you can "strap them in" ?

edit: who's Kanda?  or is that K and A ? :)

4 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

So far, so good.  Will you be able to walk up to it with two long guns in your hands and set them in the cart securely enough until you can "strap them in" ?

edit: who's Kanda?  or is that K and A ? :)

K and A, the Missus is Andra and I am Kevin, that is her Santa Fe. And the loops are pretty loose on the top so the guns slide in easily, then drop the butts into the large loops on the can. Say, can you transport a SG closed?

My first cart I made from wood that was in the garage wheels from Harbor Freight it worked but looked like it was made by a chimp. It was reincarnated a time or two. Then treated myself to a 2 gun cart from Rugged Gear. Once my wife began shooting needed more room sold the 2 gun cart and got the larger 4 gun. Still seemed sort of crowded when sharing with another person...especially when I began to shoot Frontiersman. Now she uses the big cart and I got a jogging stroller setup that I use and is a perfect platform to load capguns on.

20201227_174010.jpg

20201227_173924.jpg

20201227_115422.jpg

I'm liking these ideas. As this is literally the starting point, I'm looking forward to Saturday and taking pics of more carts in person. Also, the problem of all my tools are still packed from our move, once our new shed gets here I can get to my tools and get the garage organized and get my reloading stuff set up again.

Okay, quick question. Can the long guns be stored muzzle down for these carts like they do in 3 gun?

24 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Okay, quick question. Can the long guns be stored muzzle down for these carts like they do in 3 gun?

I can't speak for your range, but most of the ones around here require open and empty, with muzzles up. 

SASS rules require us to carry them muzzles up from cart to loading table/firing line/unloading table to cart and you'd have to be very careful not to sweep anyone when removing from/putting back in a cart that stored them muzzle down. 

Yes, long gun pointing muzzles up in the cart is not a problem in any sport I am familiar with, 3-gun (an example) allows them down too.

The other difference in sports is action open versus action closed on chamber flags when in the cart (3-gun requires chamber flags on long guns).

Thank you both! I am more familiar with 3gun carts than CAS. Like I said playing with version 1 and knowing that I will be making lots of changes as I go. Really, really frustrating having so many of my tools still packed after moving. C'mon new building, hurry up and get here!

I have the biggest guncart in the world, y wife had cartzilla made for me when I started out, it has great balance point btw is huge. When I travel to eot or winter range I had to take my wife's sub because it would not fit in the hotel room door. I made a cart out of a $25 baby carriage from goodwill put some atv rifle brackets and a chunk of particle board in the undercarriage. Folds up holds my rifle and shotgun with all the ammo I need for the day and a few tools. Plus it has a drink holder. Still have cartzilla but save her for when I shoot frontiersman.

Rafe

Archived