SASS Wire Forum

Will this work for a gun cart?

DeaconKC

Okay, newer guy here and getting ready to build my first cart. Advice given is to use wheels that will handle uneven terrain and to keep it as light as possible. Okay, do you guys [and gals] think this would be a good basis for the frame of the cart?

https://www.harborfreight.com/welding-cart-65939.html

It depends on what your back  and transport vehicle can handle. I built the Bismark of a wooden gun cart only to realize it was going to kill my back and took up a huge chunk of the back of the Subaru at a time I often has two other shooters with me.

9 minutes ago, Cholla said:

It depends on what your back  and transport vehicle can handle. I built the Bismark of a wooden gun cart only to realize it was going to kill my back and took up a huge chunk of the back of the Subaru at a time I often has two other shooters with me.

The vehicle is easy, a Ford F150. And the back still works, just hurts if I do too much on it [see @Alpo's thread] so the KISS principle and light weight are the priorities. I would set it up with a removable ammo box to keep the takedown weight in a couple of pieces.

I started with one of these:  https://www.harborfreight.com/bigfoot-panel-wagon-60570.html?_br_psugg_q=wagon

I built a vertical rack that holds 5 guns.  The rack is removeable and can be locked onto the back of a golf cart. The wagon wheels were found on Ebay.

61541915_310836676523539_1575094709376778240_n.jpg

8 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I started with one of these:  https://www.harborfreight.com/bigfoot-panel-wagon-60570.html?_br_psugg_q=wagon

I built a vertical rack that holds 5 guns.  The rack is removeable and can be locked onto the back of a golf cart. The wagon wheels were found on Ebay.

61541915_310836676523539_1575094709376778240_n.jpg

How did the original wheels work on uneven terrain?

The original wheels were fine.  I found the wagon easier to pull, than pushing a gun cart.  There is just a cool factor to the wagon wheels. Just have to be careful with the turning radius and not twist the wagon so severely that you tip it.  

2 minutes ago, Marshal TKD, Sass # 36984L said:

Yes it will work.

It weighs 30 pounds before you put a gun rack and what ever else on it. 

Yup, that's why I am planning on as much being removable as possible. :D

1 hour ago, Marshal TKD, Sass # 36984L said:

Yes it will work.

It weighs 30 pounds before you put a gun rack and what ever else on it. 

Spec sez "29.60 lbs shipping weight"... depending on what it's shipped in... my empty wood cart is several pounds more than that.

Actually, the welding cart works great.  I made everything removeable (ammo box, bottom box, handle, wheels) using a mix of large headed thumb screws and axle split pins.  It takes me less than 5 minutes to assemble/disassemble. or less if I'm using a larger vehicle.  Mine will hold four long guns, two days of ammo, a small cooler, necessaries, holsters, and a large umbrella.  The wood is mahogany left-overs from my shop.  Ammo box, bottom box and loading shelf lined with felt.  Handle and barrel slots wrapped in leather.

I replaced the wheels with a foam-filled pair; no more flats.

This design rocks back with the touch of a finger; lightweight and agile.  The secret is the low center of gravity and the oversized wheels.

LL

010.jpg

008.jpg

004.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

The 4th cart you build will be close to what you want.  The welding cart is a good starter.

I’ve always liked the idea of the welding cart for guns.  I think if you’re a good woodworker or a really good welder you can make it work nicely.  When you look at the cart @Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 built it’s obvious that he has the woodworking down and also some good vision on what he needs and how to make it work.

There is a lot of trial and error with your first cart, but as Noz said is a good start.

I used the same cart for my first build. I was worried about a seat with a little bit of dry storage. I had some scrap 2x2s and floor underlay with just a small piece of plywood on top. It's surprisingly light and turned out well. It's lifts into the bank of my truck easy enough.

30097E2F-6852-4C9B-AA44-A7117530EBCD.jpeg

31F6D279-945F-4150-ADA0-370213E09726.jpeg

42DA32D4-28BB-413D-99C0-C2473966D24E.jpeg

I just built this one with some wood I had. The upright fits in the base and the top fits in the upright as the shelves are removable. The buttstock holder also is removable and fits in the upright. There is storage under the front cover. The wheels are 14".

PXL_20201202_201356816.jpg

PXL_20201030_221706468.jpg

PXL_20201204_182757604.jpg

Wow, thank you guys for all the good ideas and especially the pictures. What are the advantages/disadvantages of 4 wheel vs 2 wheel?

30 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Wow, thank you guys for all the good ideas and especially the pictures. What are the advantages/disadvantages of 4 wheel vs 2 wheel?

Try maneuvering at a crowded shoot; you will soon see the advantage of two wheels.  Use your big umbrella on a windy day, and you might think 4 wheels are superior.

LL

39 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

I have made two 4-wheeled carts from wagons. Never again. @Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 is right. Maneuvering is easier with two wheels.

The disadvantage of a red wagon (think Radio Flyer) based cart is if you turn the front wheels  too far and  make  the wrong move  you'll tip your cart over.

Other disadvantages:

* Handle is a tripping hazard if it falls in front of wagon.

* An umbrella becomes a sail on a windy day.

* Balancing your load  is very important. Imbalanced load  makes  for easy tipping when navigating through crowds or  on uneven terrain.

A guy in our club uses the same cart 

it serves him quit well . his wood for holding guns has change a few times 

As some else said your 3rd gun cart will be just right 

look at other carts for ideas of how to hold ammo and other stuff we need 

1 hour ago, Mister Badly said:

Room for sweat mitigation devices.:D

PXL_20201203_004809250.jpg

I have dewalt battery fan that has saved me in the Summer  

my BP pills have me overheating soo fast 

I considered using one of those carts when I first started shooting CAS in late '06, but decided instead to build one using materials I had on hand, except for the 16 inch diameter wheels I got on Ebay. Large diameter wheels make pushing/pulling yer cart over gravel parking lots, range roads and such a lot easier.

I have made several range carts of various designs, each one is different.  My 1st was with a welding cart as I used to teach welding.  It can be made to work very well.  I have made three of the two wheel design and they work fine.  Since they are mostly wood, you can make them very pretty.  I have made five from golf carts.  I liked the three wheeled ones better than the the two wheeled ones.  The advantage to the golf cart variety, they can be folded up like an umbrella to save space in your vehicle.  My favorite ones, also five, are made from baby jogging strollers.  I make them with all of the components removable in order to make them lighter for loading and hauling, plus they are very stable.  The larger tires makes them move easily over rough terrain and if it has the swiveling front wheel, it turns in a tight  circle.  Normally I can move them along with just one hand.

Trial and error has ruled my designs.

I made one from a baby jogging stroller and learned an important lesson.  I mounted the long guns towards the back, and put a removable wooden box over the front wheel.  The box makes it tippy to use on steep slopes.  On my winter to do list is to re-make the cart so the box is behind the front wheel.  

My opinion:

Essentials. 

Seat with some padding.

Some device to hold the pistols between stages. My Vaqueros weight, at stage 6,  13 pounds apiece on my belt. Hung on my cart they don't weight nothing.

Water

Snacks: You'll feel a lot better with some extra calories around stage 5.

I am prone to jogging carts or their derivative.

Big inflated tires on big wheels

A net bag or something like to hold empty shells and shotgun hulls.

Small notebook and reliable pen or pencil.

Magnetic screwdriver with bits to fit all of your screws.

Shotgun chamber swab, rifle/pistol bore snake.

Little bit of oil of your choice.

And for another perspective, I almost never sit down during a match, so a seat has never been a requirement.  However, I've noticed that with more and more Rugged Gear carts at the stages, which are not for sitting, there's now more of those little folding stools from Walmart.  A lot of them have a decorative cover added.  I think some of them get carried stage-to-stage and some are strapped to carts.

12 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

Push (2 wheel) vs Pull ( 4 wheel).  I have both.  Prefer the wagon because it's lighter and I can pull it rather than having to push it.  

That Welding Kart makes a swell base.  Solid.  Maneuverable.  Big wheels make it easy to roll.  Should support your average Golf Umbrella.  Wish I'd done it. 

FORGOT:

PLUS ONE for Loophole LaRue.  Atz a great job!!!  :) 

Archived