SASS Wire Forum

Yul Lose

My wife and I just returned from a quick trip to Arizona and her niece stays at the house while we’re gone to look after things. She brings her own food and usually leaves it behind like she did this time. I’m not much of a fan of fruitcake but she left nearly an entire Kirkland (Costco) fruitcake behind and I just sampled a small piece and it’s pretty good. My mom used to try every fruitcake recipe she could come up with and nobody would eat it. You might give this one a try if you like fruitcake.

EDAA267E-BCCF-49BC-A127-C4B8A0E81C29.jpeg

I don’t dispute that your Costco fruitcake is delicious.  But, if you love fruitcake and you are from Texas/currently living in Texas, the end-all/be-all fruitcake is Collin Street Bakery fruitcake baked in Corsicana, Texas.  No doubt someone will dispute this.  Each Thanksgiving and Christmas, I order one.

I am editing just to add that I do not own stock in the bakery, nor is this paid endorsement!

Growing up we always made our Christmas Fruitcake on Thanksgiving weekend.  Mom would use Boone's Farm Loganberry Wine to soak the fruit and to sprinkle the cake when it came out of the oven.  It lived in the fridge and every weekend mom would take it out, unwrap the plastic and foil, sprinkle more Loganberry Wine on the cloth that was over the cake, then rewrap it.  
It got cut after Midnight Mass.  Usually lasted until Twelfth Night.

You're killing me. I love fruitcake...the good stuff, not the cheap stuff. But, we are dieting so I can get back into my old uniform for my daughters wedding in April.

3 minutes ago, Cholla said:

You're killing me. I love fruitcake...the good stuff, not the cheap stuff. But, we are dieting so I can get back into my old uniform for my daughters wedding in April.

A couple of thin slices of fruitcake, a wedge of mince pie, small wedge of Shoo Fly Pie, a big cup of coffee....

Okay, got the coffee, where do I get the pie?

3 minutes ago, Cholla said:

This fruitcake is definitely not diet food. I enjoyed meeting you and started going through the train gear this afternoon, thanks again.

4 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

This fruitcake is definitely not diet food. I enjoyed meeting you and started going through the train gear this afternoon, thanks again.

I had twinges of regret as we drove away. My wife asked me if that was the stuff I had spent years buying. Yes, it was, but, it's in a better place now...:lol:

I am going to try and load up some ammo for the Lightning by next weekend for the Granite Mountain Outlaws match. I may have to take the P for one stage and use it just for the trainwreck it will cause me! (I shoot Classic Cowboy.) My wife thinks she might like a pump better than the 73 she uses at times. Thanks again

1 hour ago, South-Eye Ned said:

I don’t dispute that your Costco fruitcake is delicious.  But, if you love fruitcake and you are from Texas/currently living in Texas, the end-all/be-all fruitcake is Collin Street Bakery fruitcake baked in Corsicana, Texas.  No doubt someone will dispute this.  Each Thanksgiving and Christmas, I order one.

I am editing just to add that I do not own stock in the bakery, nor is this paid endorsement!

MY mother had a standing order for a Christmas fruit cake from the Collin Street Bakery.  A little fruit cake goes a long way; sort of like German Chocolate Cake.  In a tight container fruit cake will keep wo/refrigeration for years.

P.S.  The last mince meat pie I had was baked by my mother for the last Christmas dinner she cooked.  The alzheimers had seriously affected her abilities.  There were ants in the kitchen & she didn't notice the ants on the crust before adding the mince meat.  The few family members who will eat mince meat pie noticed the extra spice and saw ant shaped black specs in the crust.  It is occasionally recalled for a humorous remembrance of my mother by those who were at that dinner.

15 minutes ago, MizPete said:

I make a really good fruit cake but nobody will eat it any more, so why bother?

I would, I would...!  Angel

Here is the version we are trying this year, with a few modifications.  Used plum wine rather than ruby port, will be brushing more on every weekend.  Won't do the marzipan or frosting before serving.  I also used more of the spices than it calls for.

MULLED WINE FRUIT AND NUT CHRISTMAS CAKE: MAKE-AHEAD FRUITCAKE

INGREDIENTS

TWO DAYS BEFORE

18 fluid ounces ruby port

1 MULLED WINE BAG MADE WITH

1 cinnamon stick

6 cloves

1 nutmeg

SOAKING FRUIT

1 orange, zest of, strips

7 ounces sultanas

7 ounces currants

7 ounces raisins

8 ounces ready to eat prunes, chopped

4 ounces sliced almonds

4 ounces glace cherries, quartered

4 ounces mixed peel

THE DAY YOU BAKE

8 ounces softened butter

8 ounces soft brown sugar

4 organic eggs, beaten

9 ounces plain flour

1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon

2 teaspoons mixed spice

1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves

1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger

1 orange, zest of, grated

DIRECTIONS

TWO DAYS BEFORE YOU BAKE:

Gently heat up the port with the strips of orange peel & all the mulled wine spices tied up in a muslin or cloth bag; you will need a large roomy saucepan as you will be adding the fruit to it later.

Bring it to the boil and then take off the heat and allow to cool slightly.

Add all the fruit, prunes, peel & nuts to the mulled wine port mixture, stir it well and cover with a lid.

Leave at room temperature, unless you live in a very hot climate in which case you will need to refrigerate it, for 2 days. I have left this for up to 4 days with no adverse effects!

THE DAY YOU BAKE THE CAKE:

Pre-heat oven to 160 C or 320°F.

Grease and double line with baking paper/parchment a loose bottom deep cake tin; I used a 8" diameter round tin with high sides.

Wrap the outside of the cake tin with a double layer of brown paper or baking paper/parchment & tie with string - it stops the cake browning too quickly or too much and IS worth the effort!

Beat the butter and sugar together until light & fluffy.

Add the flour bit by bit with the beaten eggs gradually - mix well in between each flour & egg addition. This stops it curdling.

Drain the fruit & nuts - any excess port can be kept for future soakings! Discard the mulled wine bag & the strips of orange peel.

Add the fruit and nuts to the cake mixture & mix well.

Add the spices along with the grated peel of one orange and mix well with a wooden spoon.

Spoon the the cake mixture into the prepared tin and level the top.

Make a slight dip in the middle to allow for rising unevenly.

Bake for 30 minutes and then turn the oven down to 150 C or 300 F and bake for a further 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.

Leave the cake to cool in the tin.

Remove from the tin and keep stored in an airtight container - well wrapped in the baking paper/parchment until Christmas.

Decorate it with traditional marzipan & icing or a fruit and nut glaze - OR just remove from the paper, decorate with a frill and serve it from an attractive cake platter!

My usual is:

Spiced Dark Fruitcake

Ingredients

• 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
  • 3 sticks (12 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 2 cups packed dark brown sugar
  • 6 large eggs, at room temperature
  • 1/2 cup dark molasses (not blackstrap)
  • 3 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest (from 3 to 4 lemons)
  • 1/2 cup brandy
  • 2 cups dried, unsulfured apricots, coarsely chopped
  • 2 cups almonds, coarsely chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups golden raisins, also known as sultanas
  • 1 1/2 cups Medjool dates, coarsely chopped
  • 1 cup candied orange zest, coarsely chopped

Instructions

1. Heat the oven to 300°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Coat two 9-by-5-inch loaf pans with butter and flour; set aside.
  2. Combine flour, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl and whisk to aerate and break up any lumps; set aside.
  3. Place butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on medium-high speed until pale yellow, about 3 minutes. Add brown sugar, and continue beating until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, letting each mix in fully before adding the next.
  4. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Return the mixer to medium-high speed, add molasses and lemon zest, and beat until combined. Reduce speed to low and mix in 1/3 of the flour mixture. Add 1/4 cup of the brandy, another 1/3 of the flour mixture, the remaining 1/4 cup brandy, and finally the last 1/3 of the flour. Mix until flour is just incorporated and batter is smooth.
  5. Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold in remaining ingredients. Divide batter evenly between the prepared pans.
  6. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 1/2 hours.
  7. Let cool on a wire rack for at least 1 hour before removing from the pan. Turn cakes out onto the rack and cool completely before slicing and eating, or aging.
  8. To age, brush each cake with 1/4 cup brandy, and then completely bury each in 4 pounds of powdered sugar for up to 4 months.

Just have to do it!:lol:

With the holidays fast approaching, I want to take this opportunity to share with you my mother's famous fruitcake recipe. I certain hope you enjoy it. 

Fruitcake Recipe
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
4 large eggs
2 cups dried fruit
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup brown sugar
lemon juice
nuts
1 gallon whiskey 

Sample the whiskey to check for quality.
Take a large bowl.
Check the whiskey again to be sure it is of the highest quality.
Pour one level cup and drink.
Repeat.
Turn on the electric mixer; beat 1 cup butter in a large, fluffy bowl.
Add 1 teaspoon sugar and beat again.
Make sure the whiskey is still OK. Cry another tup. Turn off mixer.
Break 2 legs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit.
Mix on the turner.
If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers, pry it loose with a drewscriver.
Sample the whiskey to check for tonsisticity.
Next, sift 2 cups of salt. Or something. Who cares?
Check the whiskey.
Now sift the lemon juice and strain your nuts.
Add one table. Spoon. Of sugar or something. Whatever you can find.
Grease the oven.
Turn the cake tin to 350 degrees.
Don't forget to beat off the turner.
Throw the bowl out of the window.
Check the whiskey again.
Go to bed.
Who the hell likes fruitcake anyway?

17 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

My wife and I just returned from a quick trip to Arizona and her niece stays at the house while we’re gone to look after things. She brings her own food and usually leaves it behind like she did this time. I’m not much of a fan of fruitcake but she left nearly an entire Kirkland (Costco) fruitcake behind and I just sampled a small piece and it’s pretty good. My mom used to try every fruitcake recipe she could come up with and nobody would eat it. You might give this one a try if you like fruitcake.

EDAA267E-BCCF-49BC-A127-C4B8A0E81C29.jpeg

Got my grandmother's boiled fruit cake recipe.  Very versatile: if there's some thing you don't like leave it out or put in something else.

I swapped out candied fruit and replaced it with dehydrated fruit and it worked just fine.

Everyone seems to like it. (Yeah, I know: NO ONE REALLY LIKES FRUIT CAKE! :rolleyes: :P)

Everyone knocks fruit cake.  Why?  I really like fruit cake - even those from Corsicana, TX - not bad.  We used to buy one brand of fruit cake, but the demand grew less an less until the bakery discontinued it.  I have found that the best fruit cake is the one I just ate.  I thank all those who gave recipes as there will be a few more "Best" fruit cakes I will get to try.  YUM-OO

If the cake goes dry, drop a shot of rum on it - double yum-oo

STL Suomi

I've heard fruit cake can stop a 50 bmg slap round. It's also good for doorstops. Have at it you all and enjoy, be sure to take my portions too. I'd rather eat liver and I hate liver. 

They sell this stuff at Sam's.

https://www.claxtonfruitcake.com/

Taste just like the stuff my Mama used to make. Mama's was darker - this has a kind of golden hue while Mama's was brown - and Mama's sat under a bourbon soaked towel for a month or so, and I don't believe they use any booze in this stuff. But it still tastes like hers.

17 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I would, I would...!  Angel

I'd send you some but the darned thing is so heavy I can't afford to mail it.

10 minutes ago, MizPete said:

I'd send you some but the darned thing is so heavy I can't afford to mail it.

I'll close my eyes and imagine.... Yum~!  ^_^

(I'm not s'posed to have it anymore anyway, but I'll cheat once in a while. :blush:)

Miz Pete, I'm with Hardpan. I'd eat it. My Dad used to get one every Christmas at the Gray Drug store here. Don't know who made them for them, but they were definitely tasty. Even came in their own round tins. IIRC, they were somewhat darker in color than ones I see around here now. Don't see anything like them now:(:blush:

https://www.southernsupreme.com/  The best fruit cake ever sold. They ship all over the world. They also make and sell many other delicacies. Made in North Carolina. People line up at their place of business during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays to sample and purchase their goodies made on site. 

4 hours ago, Raylan said:

I've heard fruit cake can stop a 50 bmg slap round. It's also good for doorstops. Have at it you all and enjoy, be sure to take my portions too. I'd rather eat liver and I hate liver. 

When I serve either one you won't be invited.  You're welcome.

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

Taste just like the stuff my Mama used to make. Mama's was darker - this has a kind of golden hue while Mama's was brown - and Mama's sat under a bourbon soaked towel for a month or so, and I don't believe they use any booze in this stuff. But it still tastes like hers.

Sam's lost my business when they closed our local store about two weeks after I renewed my membership and told me I could order from their web site but couldn't get a refund.  Let them keep my money.  It's the last they will ever get from me.

5 hours ago, Raylan said:

Never liked it either but then again I actually DO like liver!:P

14 hours ago, Alpo said:

I too, like the Claxton. Each holiday season I pick up several and tuck them in the freezer. I intend to make them last but unfortunately they seldom last into March.

I tried the one from Costco recently and found it to be pretty tasteless. The only thing in it that had any real flavor was the pineapple.

I bought a Costco fruitcake once.  It was extremely sweet.  There seemed be much corn syrup in it.  My late mother made brandy soaked fruitcake with walnuts.  It was great cake.  I've had Collins Street fruitcake with pecans.  I hope someone brings one into work so I can have a small piece.  (I no longer dare having large quantities of sweets in my house.)

The only fruitcake I ever ate was the small packaged kind sometimes found in our Air Force inflight lunches.  Wasn't bad...especially if you were hungry enough!  ^_^  I remember as a kid, my father, uncle and grandfather going to the post office with dozens of boxed fruitcake to mail out to their law clients!

Archived