SASS Wire Forum

WTB Wall Hanger

Marshal Hangtree

We just moved in to our new house that we built, so now I'm looking for something to hang over the mantle.  Either rifle or shotgun, doesn't have to be shootable, just old.  Looking for something that would look interesting.  Extra brownie points if it's CHEAP!  Whatcha got leaned up in the corner that you'll never get around to restoring?

Thanks y'all,

I have a Stevens "favorite" single shot 22 caliber lever rifle (I believe it's referred to as a falling block).  The breach has been peened such that a cartidge will not go in.  Other than that I don't think it's far off of being functional.  It's impossible to date it exactly because Stevens mixed and matched old parts as they were replaced with newer designs and didn't use consecutive serial numbers.  Based on the features present, the closest I can narrow it down is somewhere between 1890 and 1915.  I'll go take a few pictures and post them.

Fretless

But when I start to fiddle, why, yuh got to start to dance!

1 minute ago, Fretless said:

Fretless

But when I start to fiddle, why, yuh got to start to dance!

Ahh!  Nice to see that someone else recognizes that poem!  Lookin' forward to seeing the pics of the old Stevens, Fretless.  Thanks.

Got three possibles.

The top one is a White  Powder Wonder, AF and Co 12 GA. From what I remember of looking it up, it is a post WW1 designed for smokeless powder. I have not fired it. I have not cleaned it. For this photo, I actually installed the barrel on the receiver.

The next two are "Belgian Bar Guns." Warnant Flobert rifle. Used in bars as a substitute for darts. Jaw drop...

Anyway, the middle gun looks like toast, not restorable IMO. The bottom one might work after cleaning... However, all I know at the moment about caliber is they look 22ish, but not .22lr. Is there such a thing as a BB cap cartridge? Flobert Rimfire cartridges?

[On Edit: The shotgun is on "top." The shiny "Flobert" is on the bottom. Mentally rotate the picture]

The top gun might be worth $200 IIRC, subject to a bit more inspection. I can not recall what the other's might have as value. Thinking $75 for the obvious wall hanger and $150 for the shiny one.

The shotgun would likely require FFL (antique yet modern cartridge argh), the other two may be true obsolete antiques and certainly qualify as interesting. Could look a little deeper if you find them interesting.

Anyway, took a pic for you:

IMG_0957.jpeg.16f921e8469efcae3743b8961450b253.jpeg

The only real hesitancy in selling is if the Blue Shirts come knocking to confiscate my firearms, these are my best candidates to turn over.

2nd edit: My lady just looked at them and said "Really? Hold my beer guns?"

Here are pics of the Stevens.  I'm not really sure about it's value.   Probably around $200.   I don't see any reason it wouldn't be restorable.  The main reason I'm willing to part with it is that I'm new, and need some SASS legal guns.

PXL_20201213_221600503.jpg

PXL_20201213_221604966.jpg

PXL_20201213_221624892.jpg

PXL_20201213_221613632.jpg

PXL_20201213_221428416.jpg

32 minutes ago, rftb_cowboy said:

if you're still looking I have a classic exposed hammer double barrel 12 ga.

Absolutely.  Can you PM me with pics and price?  Thanks.

WM Dugalle 10 gauge double. I bought it sight unseen ten years ago, and overpaid @ $125. It's loose, pitted, no finish left. The right side hammer is missing and the shaft is broken off. I roughed out a couple new firing pins - the left side one is taped to the barrel so it doesn't get lost. I could never find parts, and lost interest. Shipping + gas to town and a little extra to get a store-bought hamburger & sarsaparilla while I'm there and you could be the ecstatic new owner!

WM_Dugalle01.jpg

WM_Dugalle02.jpg

WM_Dugalle03.jpg

4 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Absolutely.  Can you PM me with pics and price?  Thanks.

I checked with the New Zealand owner of the hammered double that I have  and he doesn't want to sell.

Sorry, J.M.

Just now, Johnny Meadows,SASS#28485L said:

I checked with the New Zealand owner of the hammered double that I have  and he doesn't want to sell.

Sorry, J.M.

No sweat, J.M.

3 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

WM Dugalle 10 gauge double. I bought it sight unseen ten years ago, and overpaid @ $125. It's loose, pitted, no finish left. The right side hammer is missing and the shaft is broken off. I roughed out a couple new firing pins - the left side one is taped to the barrel so it doesn't get lost. I could never find parts, and lost interest. Shipping + gas to town and a little extra to get a store-bought hamburger & sarsaparilla while I'm there and you could be the ecstatic new owner!

WM_Dugalle01.jpg

WM_Dugalle02.jpg

WM_Dugalle03.jpg

This one beats my offerings, great wall hanger IMO.

Not that a pair of Belgian bar guns isn't cool, opening my offering up to others for PMs.

Archived