SASS Wire Forum

45 Colt ammo price... WOW!!!

Dantankerous

And I thought online ammo prices were ridiculous…

Yesterday at a local gun store perusing available ammunition I found 45 Colt 250 grain lead round nose, 50 rounds per box for the low price of $119.99 per box.

His other ammunition was not priced as ridiculous with some ammo priced almost pre-panic, but he must think 45 Colt is actually worth its weight in gold. He had 10 boxes and I am certain that a year from now he will have 10 boxes.

Yup.  $119.99 per box of 50.

Just found this one. THAT is serious price gouging!

Screenshot_20201213-141413_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Gees...I am making a list of the gougers so that I can remember or remind myself who not to do business with later on. I understand the laws of supply and demand but when the prices are utterly ridiculous due to greed or outright crookedness the pirates don’t need my business later. 

Yesterday I was buying a box of Berry’s 230 grain .45 ACP bullets at a reloading shop near me. The price was $49.99, which works out to 20 cents a round. High price, but I was willing to pay it. 
When I went to the front the owner said “Sorry about these prices. I am having a hard time getting stock at a reasonable rate.”

I told him not to worry about it with a smile. He isn’t raking people over the coals and he will definitely get my business later. But some stores around here have gone above and beyond with their ridiculous prices. 

2 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

> snip <

He had 10 boxes and I am certain that a year from now he will have 10 boxes.

Yup.  $119.99 per box of 50.

> snip <

You could have probably gotten all 10 boxes for a flat $1000 if you had been nice to him!! -_-

A bargain is defined as both parties being happy with the transaction.
They can charge those prices all they want.. I don't have to buy.
Same as housing in CA.. they can price 'em to the moon.. but in the end, the buyer can put his wallet back in his pocket and walk away.

Businesses here are getting the crap beaten out of them with Gov. Newsolini's lockdown orders.
Il Douche is making it ghastly tough on those still having to pay rent, taxes, insurance, etc.

We have stopped shooting trap... 12-gauge shells are scarce here, so I'm preserving my stock.
I'm shooting 22LR right now, same reason, and not very often at all.

Taurus Judge owners have driven the 45 Colt cartridge (and the 2.5" 410) into obscurity.  They've driven the price up on the remaining stock.

We sell 10 or 15 Taurus Judges for any traditional gun chambered in 45 Colt.

I was lucky yesterday and found a box of HSM for $30. Nice to have honest dealers. 1 box per day per family.

1 hour ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Taurus Judge owners have driven the 45 Colt cartridge (and the 2.5" 410) into obscurity.  They've driven the price up on the remaining stock.

Yeah, buddy of mine bought one for himself and his wife for CCW. First time pistol shooters who’ve never fired a round.  Found out their local range won’t allow them to shoot it in shotgun mode, which is why they bought it — before signing up for the class. 

If he’d asked, I coulda warned him. To my knowledge, they’ve yet to fire it. 

A friend of mine went into panic mode a couple months ago for his CCW renewal class when he couldn't find ammo for his qualification shoot. He was thrilled that I could set him up for his Judge.

3 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Ive often wondered why the judge is so popular but the Governor is not as much.  I've never heard complaints about the Governor but have heard some about the taurus.  I also wonder if the judge is as finicky about 410 ammo as the Governor is.  My Governor does not like RIO brand, but loves Remington and Winchester.

3 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

A friend of mine went into panic mode a couple months ago for his CCW renewal class when he couldn't find ammo for his qualification shoot. He was thrilled that I could set him up for his Judge.

Do some CCW certifications require you test with what you carry? 

5 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Do some CCW certifications require you test with what you carry? 

Some states do, some do not.

8 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

Ive often wondered why the judge is so popular but the Governor is not as much.  I've never heard complaints about the Governor but have heard some about the taurus.  I also wonder if the judge is as finicky about 410 ammo as the Governor is.  My Governor does not like RIO brand, but loves Remington and Winchester.

The Judge sells for 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the Governor.  

Just my opinion, BUT, these gun stores that are jacking up their prices on ammo are hurting their business for future sales.

A friend of mine and I visited BENTON's sporting goods/gun store a few years back during the first .22 ammo shortage.

They wanted nearly $100 a brick of .22 ammo.

He and I used to buy most of our guns from them but we immediately stopped going there because of their gouging attitude.

I understand that A LOT of shooters stopped visiting their store also.

..........Widder

My regular source for primers and powder has kept his prices synced with his costs, which means I've seen a modest increase on primers (when available) and most powder has been relatively unchanged.  He's also not accepting new clients at the moment, so he can service his loyal base.  That's how you build and maintain a long-term business.

19 hours ago, bgavin said:

A bargain is defined as both parties being happy with the transaction.
They can charge those prices all they want.. I don't have to buy.

The problem is that these places are still selling that ammo to new shooters who are unaware of the fact that they're paying an exorbitant amount for it.

This just proves P.T. Barnum was right all along.

My daughter and her hubby were shopping for houses.
They came across one, then it flunked the inspection.
My SIL is in the trades, and he brought in a contractor to estimate the cost of remediation.
The unpadded estimate came to about $45k for extensive termite damage + unseen but no doubt present further damage.

They passed on the house.
Some idiots came in from the Bay Area with their pockets full of inflated housing profits and paid full price.

P.T. Barnum was right all along.

3 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

The problem is that these places are still selling that ammo to new shooters who are unaware of the fact that they're paying an exorbitant amount for it.

And they are first time gun owners...Put the two together and it is scary times....

Texas Lizard

Archived